PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
banning all "non face to face" sales, which would include banning mail order.
As the Washington State statute is written it is the shipping that is illegal.

“RCW 70.155. 140 makes it illegal for most tobacco products ordered or purchased by telephone, mail order, or through the Internet, to be shipped directly to consumers in Washington.”

The enforcement emphasis seems to be focused on the seller and not the consumer.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
The thing that worries me is someone will notice our, erm, forethought, and legislatively limit the amount of tobacco you can possess. Asinine how its being treated as a controlled substance.

I don't doubt there are those who would want to make any tobacco possession illegal, but realistically I don't see it happening. I wouldn't be surprised though if any type of private distribution...selling or giving it away...becomes illegal at some point.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
The thing that worries me is someone will notice our, erm, forethought, and legislatively limit the amount of tobacco you can possess. Asinine how its being treated as a controlled substance.
I've already pondered this and commented previously about it here. If tobacco becomes illegal, like, say, cocaine is now, possession would be deemed illegal too. Sure, they can start by allowing you a certain limit, but the plan would be to eventually declare ANY amount illegal. If your nosy neighbour espies you through your basement's casement window having a bowl and duly rats you out does his 'civic' duty and reports you, you'll have the cops raiding your home and confiscating everything tobacco-related. And, since possession of an illegal substance makes you a criminal, they'l confiscate your guns too whilst they're at it. Double play!

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL

Very unlikely. How do they go about enforcing that? Door to door inspections? I don't think the government is as much worried about old farts smoking as they are about keeping tobacco out of the hands of kids. And that strategy is working reasonably well.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I love the way legislation like this gets cobbled together like a fifth class Frankenstein's monster. The first paragraph lists all sorts of flavorings that will no longer be allowed, and in the following section on exceptions, reverses it.

Banning of online sales is gonna happen sooner or later. Support your B&Ms and pipe shows.
Has to go through House, Senate and then Through a veto. Unless they send it through the FDA.

Last edited:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I just don't see that happening. The war against tobacco is being successfully waged through a campaign of death by a thousand cuts. Prohibition has proven to be wildly counterproductive. There's no upside to that type of legislation.

glassjapan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2017
In the U.S., buying Cuban Cigars has been illegal for over five decades. People purchase them online from Europe and Asia every day. I'm not talking about questionable boxes from your sister's husband's niece who's dating a Cuban person down in FL. Actual LCDH vendors. When customs confiscates one random box out of thousands, the person receives a warning letter. That's it. Some people even get multiple letters every year. Homeland Security has slightly more important issues to deal with than tobacco. Most of the vendors in Europe and Asia will send a replacement box if/when that happens at no extra charge.

if there's a market for pipe tobacco, i'm pretty sure those same vendors will have no problem filling those needs too.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Of course my only concern is availability of pipe tobacco. But, should this come to pass, I expect cigars will be in as big of a world of hurt as pipe tobacco as I'm guessing the cigar market is probably almost as dependent on online sales as pipe tobacco.

Reactions: Bengel
Jun 9, 2018
England
I've already pondered this and commented previously about it here. If tobacco becomes illegal, like, say, cocaine is now, possession would be deemed illegal too. Sure, they can start by allowing you a certain limit, but the plan would be to eventually declare ANY amount illegal. If your nosy neighbour espies you through your basement's casement window having a bowl and duly rats you out does his 'civic' duty and reports you, you'll have the cops raiding your home and confiscating everything tobacco-related. And, since possession of an illegal substance makes you a criminal, they'l confiscate your guns too whilst they're at it. Double play!
I had a drug habit for a long time and the idea of having to wait around for some shithead to rock up with an 8-ball of Ennerdale is a scary one.
-"Is this pure my man? This doesn't smell pure!"
-"Yeah brother that's some primo shit right there!"
-"Well for a start I'm not your bloody 'brother' and secondly this has got no sent. This is bullshit my friend"
-"No man that shits made with the finest granny knickers this side of Florida!"
-"Yeah I'm not buying it, this smelis like witches naval fluff mixed with kitty cat bum hair! Is this shit Clan?"
-"No man! Would I do that to you? That's pure Ennerdale, hasn't been stepped on nor nothing."
-"If I wasn't jonesing for a Lakeland bump I'd tell you to get lost!"
-"Nah man it's all good. You be calling me up quick time for some more of that once you've had a taste, TRUST!"
-"You Sir are a swindler and have taken advantage of my predicament for the last time. GOODBYE!"
-"You sure? I've got some sweeeet Esoterica coming in tomorrow."
-"Ummm, go on?"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.