PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
In the U.S., buying Cuban Cigars has been illegal for over five decades. People purchase them online from Europe and Asia every day. I'm not talking about questionable boxes from your sister's husband's niece who's dating a Cuban person down in FL. Actual LCDH vendors. When customs confiscates one random box out of thousands, the person receives a warning letter. That's it. Some people even get multiple letters every year. Homeland Security has slightly more important issues to deal with than tobacco. Most of the vendors in Europe and Asia will send a replacement box if/when that happens at no extra charge.

if there's a market for pipe tobacco, i'm pretty sure those same vendors will have no problem filling those needs too.
I never had a problems finding Cuban cigars in L.A.. As a policy, the US embargo of Cuban cigars was as big a dud as was keeping McClelland's impending closure a secret. In the '90's my Cuban cigars arrived from England through diplomatic pouch. It payed to have friends.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
There is a bit of paranoia here. First, while this bill or something like it will certainly pass when the nanny state progressives take control of congress and the whitehouse, i think there is a good chance this wont pass a republican controlled senate or be signed by trump. Yet another reason to vote for trump. Bloomberg would be a nightmare for tobacco, guns etc
I think there's a good chance you are highly intelligent. ?

Or is it opposite day again? I can't remember.

Our forefathers made a big deal out of a tea tax even though we eventually converted to Coffee as the Stimulant of choice.

Tobacco was used as Currency. In 1619 the Virginia legislature "rated" high-quality tobacco at three shillings and in 1642 made it legal tender.

And then there was Prohibition. We all know how that ended..

Why then are we just chatting about this as if it's an inevitability? We must scream and holler and vote them SOBs outta office :)

Jun 23, 2019
Can anyone name the Shakespeare play I'm thinking about?

I highly doubt there will be a prohibition on tobacco as that has proven both to be ineffective and even more dangerous to the demographic the ban is supposedly trying to help.

The way I see it, they're flying the banner of "protecting your children" but really just want to close out these tax loopholes.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Never say never. The police state is encroaching, little by little, but it advances nonetheless. In Canada cops no longer need a warrant to raid you: all they need is the suspicion of crime. Thus, if tobacco becomes illegal, all they need is the suspicion of possession. The legalisation of pot was a master stroke by the reds to expand police powers: cops now can pull you over whenever they want, even if you're driving perfectly fine, and demand, yes demand, you take a breathaliser and mouth swab test for substances; if you refuse, which, technically, is within your 'rights' to do, you'll be fined and might even get your car impounded. You guys south of the 49th parallel should take a closer look at the neo-stalinist BS that is happening up here in a so-called 'democracy', and stop flying through the clouds of optimism. A lot of things are being done nowadays that even the most crazed conspiracy crackpot would have dismissed as utter phantasy 10 years ago.
That's because you never truly had rights in Canada.

You own no land there... it's all owned by the crown.

Reactions: twoonefive

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
It can all be changed with a penstroke, in spite of all your checks and balances. As Spengler predicted, we're currently leaving the era of democracy/republicanism and entering a new caesarism.
Well when you have someone who doesn't understand the branches of government or follow any checks or balances........ (not talking about you).

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Indeed. Once one has the power to make things change, they get changed in order to benefit and please the one with the power. By, the way, we had many rights in Canada, and quite a number of them were obliterated by the new rights in Turd-eau Sr. 's Charter of Rights and Freedoms. The rotten apple doesn't fall far from the poisonous tree, so we're in turmoil again.

Reactions: BROBS
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Depends on what the final wording is. Talk up to now has been the intention of banning all "non face to face" sales, which would include banning mail order.
All commercial-No face to face tobacco sales & orders be it from abroad or inland have been declared Verboten in Finland some 5 years ago , although trades,gifts between private individuals are exclusive to which this new directive' is not applicable,This was merciless hit on our few existing independent tobacconists, resulting in plummeting sales,,

Reactions: BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
exactly... it doesn't matter if a liberal thinks it's bad for you and others so it shouldn't be allowed, or a conservative thinks it's a sin or vice and should be banned.
For both sides too, "it's all about the children".

what needs to happen is to separate vaping from smoking tobacco. I don't see how they are being lumped together when one is a plant and one is a chemical juice with flavors. IF they can be separated somehow by definition, perhaps pipe tobacco and cigars can be spared.

Reactions: kg.legat0
Status
Not open for further replies.