PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Though probably not properly included as metal, the music of Spinal Tap was definitely a hard rock precursor to the genre. And the incomparable Derek Smalls is known to puff a pipe now and again:
spinal_tap2.jpg

And no, we're not gonna fu$%ing do Stonehenge!

fishingandpipes

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2013
Hey, so it's true eastwood, glad to see other Pelican and Mastodon fans!
How about some Swans:

http://youtu.be/tyX7vc0k5_k
They're pretty different but it's worth a listen!
I don't even know if they'd qualify as metal per se... but whatever.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Jeremy, I get down with Volbeat, i really dig that song "the hangman's noose" and the guitar solo's in there are pretty good. They play them to death on FM99, so you'll have that to look forward to when you get back in the states, lol.
On another note, I am really curious to see if Vinny and Phil ever bury the hatchet and move on from their past and still present bad blood. It's crazy (i understand it, but still crazy) that Dime's family wouldn't even let Phil attend the funeral. I know there was some f'ed up stuff said by Phil and all towards Dime, but they still had many good years and memories together and were in a band together for 15 years.
Anyone ever seen pics of Pantera in their glam metal days in the early-mid '80s? Shit is hilarious and it is so funny to see them in the same category making the same type of music as twisted sister and cinderella. Sure glad someone slapped some sense into them, lol.

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
Great thread. Though I love all types of music, I do love metal.

+1 for Russian Circles, all the older metal is great as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Qbxa367IUE&feature=kp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYYXxhnz1AQ

eastwoodaudio

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2013
Did anyone catch Russian Circles on their recent tour? They were absolutely amazing.

Pelican just announced tour dates as well. I'm lucky that Minneapolis is on the list, it's a smallish tour.

fishingandpipes

Aug 24, 2013
I'm not sure if it was their MOST recent tour, but I saw them live last year and it was great.
I'm a bit old to be doing so, but I hung out with these guys one night and it was a good time
Elder:

http://youtu.be/f9OvoQMQ2JY
Saw them at a small venue before I think they actually toured Europe or something
6244056efeea11e1ba8122000a1e878c_7.jpg

look at that mane

fishingandpipes

Aug 24, 2013
Looking for that photo also reminds me I got to see Earth up close and in person
4bcc5e962c8311e2bec722000a1f8c33_7.jpg

No pictures, but Sunn 0))) puts on a pretty intense show too. Oh! And Boris:
http://youtu.be/L4RDBiSpB68
Japanese metal - saw them twice, both amazing. They're all over the map. This is some more metal-y metal but they've done a albums with Sunn 0))) and others.

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
I've only just skimmed this, but has anyone mentioned DethKlok yet?
Glad to hear other Mastodon fans, can't wait for their new album
HELLYEAH comin out with new album soon too.
5FDP, Killswitch Engage, Slipknot, KoЯn, anybody into Nonpoint? Mushroomhead, I could go on and on. Can't get enough metal! Got my first KoЯn album when I was 10.

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
^ music is just like pipe tobacco.
Metalocalypse is a funny show. There are 3 albums out corresponding with the first 3 seasons. I think the 2nd album is my favorite of the 3.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhOaMIZf40U

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
This could apply to music, or a lot of things in general, but metal has to make me feel something. Whether it's aggression, energy, introspection, whatever...it has to illicit some sort of feeling. It's one of the reasons why I like so many subgenres of metal, each one has it's feel and fit a particular mood. As I type this, I'm taking a break from organizing my work supplies with some Enslaved blasting. A couple of passages made me stop to listen, so it's not just background noise. I can leave the TV on for that.
It could be the reason why a lot of overly technical-sounding stuff doesn't appeal to me. I like to understand the melody behind a song, even if it's an evil sounding thing. As a musician, I can appreciate the talent and dexterity involved (and harbour slight jealousy that I still can't play to that level myself) but I find a lot of it boring. (Like how I feel about jazz, pardon as I duck and run away...I'll take the comparative simplicity of the Blues any day...) Same with blastbeats. I use them in my own music, but when they're overused I find the impact is lost. Wintersun comes to mind as an example of using blastbeats brilliantly, as does Carcass on the last few records.
Plus, still being able to listen to albums like Reign in Blood, Terrible Certainty, or Seven Churches after nearly 30 years and still getting that "feeling" from them is amazing IMO.
Okay, sorry for the long post. Back to work, and some Carpathian Forest. Thank you auto-shuffle!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
This has been a very interesting thread. While thrash, etc. don't immediately appeal to me, I like being exposed to new music. For the most part, I need a hook and a melody.

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
Just read thru this, I'm gonna have to listen to all the vids. Thanks for the suggestions, everybody! Cool to see Dethklok mentioned a few times, I woulda loved to see them live
Forgot to mention that my mom is a metal head. She's seen Judas Priest countless times (my dad spoils her), Iron Maiden, Scorpions. She's got all the Led Zeppelin albums on vinyl, but doesn't like them all that much anymore since they get overplayed on the radio.
So cool that I can go to metal shows with both my parents. Especially since they won't let me pay for the tix. Rock on the Range 2010 was amazing. Seen Disturbed, Alice in Chains, and Breaking Benjamin with one or both of them too. Breaking Benjamin might not be considered metal, but they're def on the heavier side of rock. And I've heard that the singer has taken opera lessons, just like Rob Halford.
Anybody into Skindred?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OgH0Z75uVI&feature=kp

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Alice in chains are one of my favorites. Def prefer the layne era stuff, but they are one of the very few bands whose music is still top notch even after acquiring a new front man. That guy sounds eerily similar to layne, it's scary. He still has his own uniqueness though. Big fan.

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
One band I haven't yet seen mentioned is Nile. They are super over the top technical death metal, but the vocals are pretty listenable as far as that sort of thing goes and the music is incredible. Annihilation of the Wicked is one of the legit 'this is perfect, change nothing' albums for me, right there with Panopticon by ISIS.
As far as Palms goes: because I like ISIS so much, and the Deftones a little, I was excited about this. But I got everything I needed from that album from the first song, Future Warrior. Everything else just seemed like less good versions of that sort of thing.

nardzorb

Might Stick Around
Mar 19, 2014
The last concert I went too was Anvil, wow, what an onslaught of sound that was!

Great concert!

And my current favourite is Destruction

Destruction
I tend to like old school metal, yes I am a product of the 80's.
Metal is my favourite kind of music above all, for sure!

Status
Not open for further replies.