PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastwoodaudio

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2013
layinpipe - I really like outlaw country as well, so Rebel Meets Rebel has always been one of my favorites as well. Yeah, Phil is one hell of a frontman, but I've never heard "nice" things about his attitude. :)
Latbomber - I actually saw Dethklok on their last tour, November of 2012 I think, Machine Head cancelled along with All That Remains unfortunately, Black Dahlia Murders didn't cancel but I wasn't very excited about them. But Dethklok was fantastic!! I have a buddy who is the head of security at the venue they played, and he insisted that I stand in VIP right next to the goddamn PA stack.. My ears were ringing for 3 solid days after that show, I've never been to a louder show in my life! I bet the tour with Mastodon/Converge/High on Fire was amazing!!!

eastwoodaudio

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2013
jthall - You're talking my talk now! I LOVE stoner metal!! All those bands you've listed are some of my favorites. Especially Electric Wizard and The Sword. Do you like Red Fang?

jthall

Lurker
Mar 3, 2014
eastwoodaudio - I caught the Mastodon/Converge/HoF/Dethklok concert and it was incredible. They all put on one hell of a show. I was amazed to see dethklok stand toe to toe with the likes of those bands and put on an unforgettable show. I'd go again in a heartbeat.

jthall

Lurker
Mar 3, 2014
@eastwoodaudio I've never listened to Red Fang. I'll give them a go, thanks for the heads up!

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
I forgot about Tool, they are definitely in my top 10...of any genre. I think they have their own genre altogether, lol. I saw them in '07 with Tom Morello from RATM at Bonnaroo Music Festival(been to that fest 4 times, amazing). That show was nuts and there were butt-naked chicks in front of me and everywhere with glow in the dark body paint all over them and hula-hooping, trance-dancing and the such. Unforgettable experience to say the least, for many reasons ;).

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I've always preferred punk and its subgenres to metal, but I've learned to appreciate a number of metal bands over the years - mostly the relatively mainstream/classic ones as opposed to the more esoteric subgenres. Judas Priest, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, etc.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
@ssjones April 1. Like most things Ronnie had so many charities. The profits from the Dio store go to the stand up and shout cancer fund. It's about MEN for once! I know breast cancer is a big deal, my sister has been cancer free for five years after a mastectomy. The fact that more men die of prostate cancer then women gets no attention at all. From 45 on you should get checked every two years, early catch it's very curable. Stand up and shout also promotes stomach and colon cancer awareness and cure. He also has the children of the night charity for kids on the street not to mention the animal rescue charity. I'm getting another colonoscopy the beginning of April. The biggest shame of all, and the reason for the charity is Ronnie would still be alive if he had been scoped. Unlike most charities they take no administration fees like others. This hasn't left my wrist in three years:
FnwoDKR.jpg

How many rock stars have one of these?
5Xc6TJq.jpg

The album has great songs and some major bands, not too happy with some of the choices. The biggest problem I have is the Dio's Disciples who's on there third tour with all the DIO artists and two singers to be able to handle his vocals didn't get a track. I was back stage with the guys this year :clap: They are spread out on some tracks. Here's the line up for the CD:
01. "Neon Knights" - ANTHRAX *
02. "The Last In Line" - TENACIOUS D *
03. "The Mob Rules" - ADRENALINE MOB
04. "Rainbow In The Dark" - Corey Taylor, Roy Mayorga, Satchel, Christian Martucci, Jason Christopher *
05. "Straight Through The Heart" - HALESTORM *
06. "Starstruck" - MOTÖRHEAD with Biff Byford *
07. "Temple Of The King" - SCORPIONS *
08. "Egypt (The Chains Are On)" - DORO
09. "Holy Diver" - KILLSWITCH ENGAGE
10. "Catch The Rainbow" - Glenn Hughes, Simon Wright, Craig Goldy, Rudy Sarzo, Scott Warren *
11. "I" - Oni Logan, Jimmy Bain, Rowan Robertson, Brian Tichy *
12. "Man On The Silver Mountain" - Rob Halford, Vinny Appice, Doug Aldrich, Jeff Pilson, Scott Warren *
13. "Ronnie Rising Medley" (featuring "A Light In The Black", "Tarot Woman", "Stargazer", "Kill The King") - METALLICA *
14. "This Is Your Life" - DIO
* Previously unreleased
How many stars can you pick out :rofl:
Lsun3Jh.jpg

Sorry for the double post earlier, this board sometimes takes an edit as another post. If an admin would be kind enough to delete it.
Craig

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
"Rainbow in the Dark"- My favorite Dio song out of all of Ronnie's catalog of work. Craig, that sounds like a freakin' killer album!

chops

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2011
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
I love to listen to most genres of music but Metal has always been my favorite. I don't usually go for anything too hardcore and admit I haven't heard of a lot of the bands mentioned- but I will check them out. I got to see Dio years back at the Roseland ballroom in NYC and it was epic.
Some of my favorite bands:

Black Sabbath, Ozzy Osbourne, Dio, Sepultura, Pantera, Iron Maiden, Testament, Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Dokken, Saraya, Steve Vai, Van Halen (not metal, I know), Scorpions, and lately I have been getting into today's version of metal. Dragonforce is really entertaining with it's speed guitar and percussion.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Ahhhhh chops, i forgot about Sepultura as well, Max Cavalera is awesome...Love Soulfly as well!

eastwoodaudio

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2013
+1 for Sepultura, they were an amazing band, all the way back to their early thrash days to their experimental moments with the tribespeople.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
Another nod to Sepultura here. Chaos AD lived in my CD player all through high school, along with the first four Cannibal Corpse albums. Still one of my favorite albums to this day.
Around that time is probably when I was most in to metal, mostly the death stuff along with Pantera, Metallica, Slayer, and several others. Big fan of the first four Metallica albums (yes, I did like the black) but they lost me after that. I do like watching them play now but primarily only when they play the old stuff.
Then there was Broken Hope's album, The Bowels of Repugnance. That one deserves a category all it's own :twisted:

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
I can't believe this thread went over 50 responses before I chimed in, but I do have to work sometimes. I've been into metal almost my whole life, even during my forays into hardcore punk I always kept up with metal. HC is great, but as a guitarist I prefer the intricacies of metal. Plus, despite my corny sense of humour, I prefer the dark side of things...
I'll echo most of the sentiments above. I saw Sepultura when they were touring for the Roots album, I had no idea it would be the last tour with Max.
Stuff I'm listening to right now...the new Carcass CD (Amazing!), the new Behemoth CD (love it!), and I don't know if they were mentioned already but I really dig Abigail Williams and Black Dahlia Murder. I saw BDM on Hallowe'en last year with Skeletonwitch. Great show!
If anyone's interested, here's a track from my metal "band". (It's just me doing all the parts...) I chose one of the more melodic ones, rather than the fast stuff...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fyBw47dn48

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
WOW - I would have thought that only a few (and I guessed metalheadycigar guy was a given) on this forum were metal heads. My first faves were Ozzy and Led Zeppelin. While Zep isn't really metal in my mind they are still my favorite band of all time. It really kicked in for me in 1985 when I saw Metallica open for Ozzy. I went to see Ozzy but was just BLOWN away by how Metallica played live. Cliff was still alive then and man could he rage. Bands that I have seen dozens of times live but never get tired of are Anthrax, Slayer, and Pantera. Of the newer genre (I don't think they are metal but I like them) are Disturbed, Five Finger Death Punch, and a somewhat local band with a HOT lead singer is Halestorm. I have met Lzzy (that's how she spells it)and she is just the coolest chick on the planet.

bluesmk

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2013
Bethlehem,PA
Longtime Metal head here, yes Dio on top Sabbath,Metallica,Maiden, Priest.....etc.

Don't want to forget Camine Appice and his brother Vinnie and all the bands they've been with and Still recording and touring keeping it alive!"Long Live Rock and Roll" !

Dan

Gabrieli Pipes

lostandfound

Sep 30, 2011
Um... Sunn O))), Converge, Bane, Between the Buried and Me, Fear Before the March of Flames, Job for a Cowboy, Ghengis Tron (very experimental), Norma Jean, Underoath... granted, most of these are very much more on the "hardcore" side of the fence, but if the lead vocalists of these bands aren't screaming, or grunting, or squealing, then the guitars are wailing, and the drums are banging.

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
ISIS, Pelican, Baroness, others. Occasionally I listen to the power metal crap I liked when I was 13, Blind Guardian and what have you. But these days, it's mostly ISIS.

erichbaumer

Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
Wow. This really took off. I knew there were more metalheads here than one would think but this is crazy. Good to know, this forum just keeps getting better!

Just a quick interjection, to the many here who like the old melodic metal (Maiden, Dio, etc.), it may be worth your while to check out Blind Guardian. Still going strong, and they're very reminiscent of the good 80's power metal.

I also have alot to listen to now...

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I heard some Texas Hippie Coalition the other day, I liked their style.
This "rock-u-mentary", "Heavy Metal Parking Lot" covers my era pretty well, although by 1986 classic metal was starting to wain. The Capital Center in DC where was I saw all of my teen/young adult year concerts like Judas Priest and my favorite band, Rush.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yu7tGN9NCc

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Ha, this concert popped up in my search. I was at this show, perhaps my 2nd arena concert? As a 15 year old, I loved Kiss but outgrew their antics/music. They sound awful in this video. I took my 18 year old to see them at MSG 30 years later and they still sounded awful...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtWvyoP-Xcg
I grew up with these guys, The Kix. They are actually starting to make a comeback. Steve can still sing and makes a living locally as a vocal coach.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSqQOgpI9Qs

Status
Not open for further replies.