PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
@layinpipe - I have to disagree with you about Phil being a great frontman. Ozzy, Rob Halford, Ronnie James Dio, Bruce Dickinson etc. are great frontmen, Phil is just annoying. I saw Pantera twice and Super Joint Ritual once. Phil drives me crazy, because he spends to much time between songs talking about stupid stuff; Pantera could have played two-three more songs in there set time if he would have just shut up. One can only talk about the female sex parts so many times before it becomes completely moronic. I thought Super Joint Ritual was a joke. I'm sure they could be pretty good too, but in the short 30-40 minute set time they played only 4 songs because Phil would just ramble about stupid things between the few songs they played. Really annoying if you ask me. I'm all for singers bantering with the crowd, but he goes way over the top to the point of being retarded. Pantera was great both times, but Phil was definitely annoying. I like Down too, but I've yet to see them live.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
@ssjones - the "Heavy Metal Parking Lot" is great. I love when the girl says she want's to jump Rob Halford's bones. LOL Of course nobody knew back then that he was gay. Sexuality aside... Rob Halford is frickin' awesome!!! One of the best vocalists and frontmen ever! I've seen Judas Priest live twice and dang that guy still has it. His Halford project is frickin' good too.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
There is a current day follow-up to Heavy Metal Parking lot, they catch up with several of the guys/girls in that video at the Cap Center. I did see Priest twice in those days, once with Iron Maiden supporting their 2nd album.
My first concert there was Ted Nugent, when I was 14. A friends mom agreed to drop us off in the parking lot 2 hours before the show and said "you boys have fun". Like Three Dog Night said "I seen so many things I ain't never seen before". We had a good time, still have the concert program for that one.

Feb 26, 2014
I grew up with British Heavy Metal and 80's Hair Metal; childhood idols included, GNR, Priest, Maiden, Sabbath, Crew, Van Halen, Scorpions, KISS, Zepplin, est....then in the late 80's early 90's I got turned onto Thrash Metal and got hooked on the BIG-4 (Anthrax/Megadeath/Metallica/Slayer) for years. Around 1991-92 I discovered GWAR and that has left a morbid fasination with that band ever since. My wife thinks I'm deranged because of it lol.

andy

Might Stick Around
Aug 28, 2013
I too love my metal, both in my youth and still to this day,
Rammestien

Apocalyptica

Rob Zombie

Tool

Slipknot

System of a Down
feature in my gym playlist!!!

tombraider

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 21, 2013
Wow, that parking lot vid took me back a few years. I think I saw Priest 5 times that summer. I'm in the old crew with Priest, Maiden, Accept, Dio etc. I picked up a compilation of HIM a few years ago. I liked it. Pretty low-key by comparison to some of the videos above (that I don't relate to).

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
@sailorjeremy - Hammerfall and Iced Earth are both awesome! Hammerfall is just feel good Power Metal. Can't help but feel upbeat and energized when I listen to them. Love Iced Earth. I was fortunate to be able to watch them live with Matt Barlow several years back when Barlow reunited with them. They were awesome and Barlow is a great singer/frontman. Jon Schaffer doesn't get the credit he deserves, but he's one of the best riff guitarists in Metal.

chops

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2011
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
Hammerfall is great. I have taken a liking to Nightwish also:
Here's one of their concerts
'I Wish I Had an Angel' is a epic.
@ ssjones - that 'Heavy Metal Parking lot' docu had

me rolling. It was like watching a snippet of my youth. I was definitely one of those 'Teenage Dirtbags'- hopefully one of the more articulate ones.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
Im a huge pantera fan. Also love DOWN and superjoint ritual. I am starting to like a couple of the newer metal bands as well like; Bring me the horizon, and Memphis may fire.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKqG2EVzUrg

fishingandpipes

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2013
Yep!
Russian Circles:

www.youtube.com/embed/eTq7PXlpA58
Amenra:

www.youtube.com/embed/bDrpAaRxlRo
Genghis Tron:

www.youtube.com/embed/8ZW93ovXxp0
Kvelertak:

www.youtube.com/embed/r7sIqyoRFiU
Isis:

www.youtube.com/embed/mHtpU4aABPI

eastwoodaudio

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2013
Fishingandpipes: check out my post, we seem to have very similar tastes! Never heard of Genghis Tron or Amenra, I'll have to check em out when I get to a computer!

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
I like metal, but not the hardcore can't understand a single word metal. Metallica, Sabbath, Dio, Pantera, Slipknot, Slayer, Rammstein (more industrial I know but I still like them). I can't name any more off the top of my head right now but basically if it's good I'll listen to it.

erichbaumer

Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
Lot's of variety, which is another surprise. I have to admit I'm a pretty big fan of hardcore, but just prefer the Scandinavian schools (black metal, death metal, etc.), which I'm sure some would consider to be similar beyond differentiation because of the screaming. Smeigs, Memphis is one of my favorite metalcore groups, right up with Architects and August Burns Red!

Can't believe this reached two pages.

kibo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2014
SW PA
Love this thread. I listen to a lot of music, a bit of everything, but I gotta say, I love to write (yeah, a pass-time) while I smoke a pipe and listen to music... lately, an ongoing story I've been working on, I listen to Motorhead (especially 'Get Back In Line') and puff away...but if I'm smoking for relief or enjoyment and relaxation, my mood dictates my music...the other day it was Zodiac Mindwarp's "Tattooed Beat Messiah" album...some days its Danzig, or dipping to Jethro Tull...and sometimes its Accept and Helloween...in about ten minutes, it'll be Megadeth and Amorphis to accompany some PS 80/81 (mixed 50/50). Glad to know the good company I'm in is just getting better and better!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
For Pantera fans, Vinnie Paul will be on this weeks "That Metal Show" on VH1 Classic. Eddie Trunk interviewed him Monday evening on his XM show. He talked about a remastered Pantera box set and the new HellYeah album coming out in June.

http://hellyeahband.com/

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I like many of the bands already mentioned ... Tool, System of a Down, Metallica, etc ...
One that I have not seen mentioned yet is Clutch ... kinda Zappa meets metal. Any fans?

Status
Not open for further replies.