PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Hello ... my name is Cobguy and I used to listen to hair-band metal. :rofl:
Sounds like there was a support group forming in here and I wanted to join.
So ... there was Motley Crue, Ratt, Def Leppard, Quiet Riot, etc... :)
Phonomet ... I liked that track a lot! Classic example of good Prog-metal!

unholy1

Might Stick Around
May 4, 2014
@anthonyrosenthal
I was trying to equate them with a similar band in another genre that people could relate to and not necessarily saying that they are of the same genre. I consider Epica to be in the same spectrum as Metallica, Dimmu Borgir as Slayer and Septic Flesh as Deicide. Epica is kinda like the Metallica of symphonic metal, heavy-wise.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Moonsorrow ... Finnish folk metal? I'll allow it. I'll be checking them out as I'm always on the lookout for decent Scandinavian bands, especially being half Finnish.

Jan 8, 2013
sorry for the double post, but since we seem to be getting on a hair band, glam rock kick...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_88L-CU7PD4

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Metalhead weighing in here. Mostly classic and obscure death metal and black metal, with some tradition heavy metal and NWOBHM. They go well with Royal Yacht :)

maxx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 10, 2015
I'm 58. My discovery of Black Sabbath at age 12 changed my world. I followed them till Ozzy left. In the late 1970s, I listened more to King Crimson, who I didn't learn of till around age 17. Bands not considered metal included Alice Cooper, Genesis (preferred Gabriel era), Yes, Emerson Lake and Palmer. Also early Blue Oyster Cult, Led Zeppelin, early Queen, and Rush. In the 1980s, I was listening to the new era King Crimson, Frank Zappa. Bill Bruford, Alan Holdsworth, The Cure, Big Black, Peter Gabriel (up to SO), and was exploring Jazz and Classical. No 80s metal whatsoever. In the 1990s, it was John Zorn (including Naked City and Painkiller projects), Ken Vandermark, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Metallica (from Black album to earlier), Testament, Sepultura, Malmsteen, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Tool, also more Jazz, Classical, Country, old Cowboy songs, and old Celtic songs.
Then I discovered Pantera (Vulgar Display of Power). Then Lamb of God. The next significant discovery was Opeth (Blackwater Park) about five years ago. In Jazz, it was John Coltrane and Free Jazz sometime in the late 1990s. Opeth was very important, and I began exploring through YouTube what had been happening in Metal since Pantera. Favorites, some not strictly Metal, I've found include: About Tess, Agalloch, Altar of Plagues, Amia Venera Landscape, Circle of Contempt, Cloudkicker, Don Caballero, Dream Theater, Gojira, Gru, Isis, Liquid Tension Experiment, Meshuggah, Neurosis, Russian Circles, Type O Negative, Zu. Of those, I listen most often to Agalloch, Cloudkicker, Meshuggah, and Zu. If you like John Zorn, check out Zu (Ken Vandermark is in it) and late John Coltrane.

puffndave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2015
LOL, I love this! I've always been a big metal fan, although since I became serious with my pipe smoking I've taken more of a liking to the music of the pipe's golden days. Brassy jazz is what I listen to more of now while smoking my pipes, as I imagine the days when a man was known as much by the quality of the tobacco he smoked as by his shoes. It may be also that when I smoke I'm already relaxed by the time I've filled my bowl, so the metal which I've listen to which calmed me down when I was tense is just too much for me while I'm already calm.

puffndave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2015
The Scorpions. Yes, that band was very metal, in between their errant debut "Lonesome Crow" (an errant attempt at emulating the Pink Floyd style, IMHO), and the mid 1980's when they joined the over-glammed commercial trend which that era became infamous for. Klaus Meine was always good at hitting the high notes while never sounding like glam metal girly-man. Most of their pre-Blackout material (it was still a good album, but it heralded their non-metallic changes to come) have been criminally slighted by radio jocks, I never heard their best until I was browsing through a used record store one day while in college, when everyone was playing "Love At First Sting". Try to forget about that, and look up "In Trance", "Virgin Killer", "Taken By Force", and "Fly To The Rainbow". Granted, their covers were terrible, almost as bad (and in some ways worse) than the originals which they replaced. They're German, Virgin Killer was a theme album about the impact of maturity on innocence, and the producers from their culture didn't understand what was wrong with posing a nude 10-year-old for that cover, given the theme! Her parents were there, they ok'd it. Don't worry, you'd probably have to do an extended search to see something that bad now.
Hellcat!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7Yt9c8QXcs
You've got to hear Uli Jon Roth play his guitar in this one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itVr7ZxiLrI

puffndave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2015
Ugh! Here's the best old Scorpions metal tune, which I forgot about! Metal is about fantasy, and here they really had that going. This one actually shows them in concert, and they put really put on the best of shows.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoI7deS76Ck

puffndave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2015
Great selection, Anonymous, with Animals As Leaders! I don't think I've really heard anything like that since Dream Theater. You may like that band too, with riffs that probably inspired Abasi's guitar work.

Status
Not open for further replies.