PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
I just bought the new Mastodon album, "Once More 'Round the Sun," and as always I'm very impressed with it. I will say, though, that it's basically "The Hunter Disc Two." One thing I always like about Mastodon (and Metallica) is that they usually don't repeat themselves too much. Each album is a bit different from the previous one, as they have a serious progressive streak, so I was a little disappointed by the lack of experimentation. On the other hand, I'm not TOO disappointed as "The Hunter" was a great record and there are half-dozen awesome tracks on it.

Speaking of Metallica, I downloaded their newest single, "Lords of Summer," and can't decide whether I like it or not. The production and songwriting reminds me of the "Beyond Magnetic" EP, which wasn't exactly a favorite of mine. On the other hand, I can't get the bloody thing out of my head (not in a bad way, mind you). I am curious to see what they come up with the next time they are in the studio. I'd almost given up on them after St. Anger (and they have been my absolute favorite band since 1986), but then "Death Magnetic" literally blew me away.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
New Metallica single??? Where the heck have I been. LOL The last album I bought was Black Sabbath's 13 and before that it was Ozzy's Scream probably. LOL There have been very few album purchases since I got heavily into cigars and pipes. All my free money goes towards pipes, cigars and baccy. I've got so much old music to keep me busy though. Heck I've got albums on my computer that I've never even listened to or only listened to a few times.
Currently listening to Crown of Autumn - "The Treasures Arcane".

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Big fan of metal here, Motörhead, Iron Maiden, Priest, Ministry, AC/DC, G'n'R etc. but Thrash is my favorite! I lived in the pit. I like Megadeth, Slayer, Overkill, Exodus, Metallica(too bad they quit metal after Justice), Anthrax,, etc.. I don't think anyone has mentioned two of my favorite bands D.R.I. and the Misfits(Samhain & Danzig). I've been to too many concerts to name, but Danzig in a small club was phenomenal and I saw a show in the early nineties with Alice in Chains, Anthrax, Megadeth and Slayer, biggest mosh pit I've ever seen, probably close to 50 yards wide, lots of people carried away by paramedics after the show, good times! Also a big fan of That Metal Show.

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
Yeah...I did Clash of the Titans in Toronto.
Awesome show....been to too many shows myself.... highlights being Metallica in 88, Pantera and Type O in 94.... and Ramones 94.

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
Misfits were cool to see. One of my favorite bands is DRI as well....but I never saw them. Shame

unholy1

Might Stick Around
May 4, 2014
Metal head here, too. Mostly oil' school thrash: Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, Overkill, Testament, Slayer. Also love Suicidal Tendencies, Type O Negative, Machine Head, Meshuggah, Pantera, Sepultura, Crowbar, Danzig, Dimmu Borgir, etc. Over the past few years, however, I've gone more eclectic: Alestorm, Insomnium, The Sword, Epica...
I pretty much have listened to Epica exclusively for the past two-years. Epica. Have I mentioned Epica.
Epica.
And Mark Jansen's side project, Mayan.
Mark's also in Epica.
:)

panagiotis

Lurker
Sep 17, 2014
I listen to any kind of metal but I especially like Melodic Death Metal(ex. Insomnium,Be Lakor), experimental Black and Death Metal(ex. Rotting Christ, Septicflesh), Epic Doom Metal(Candlemass, Isole, Ereb Altor).
And believe it or not Metal is what brought me closer to God :P

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
Jeeez! Read the title and I thought the OP was referring to metal bladed fans as opposed to those with plastic blades.

Was wondering what those had to do with pipe smoking. OK. Guess I'm in the wrong crowd here. Have a nice day guys.

ravenwolf

Can't Leave
Mar 18, 2014
doctorthoss, I've been enjoying the new Mastodon album too. I can see how you'd say it's like The Hunter. To me, this isn't a bad thing, as I actually rather enjoyed The Hunter. I would like to see them get back to stuff more like Crack The Skye - but people aren't stagnant, and I suppose that's a good thing. They still seem pretty genuine, like the changes to their music are just natural. One of my favorite groups still for sure.
Got anything you can think of that is somewhat akin to Mastodon? I dig their stuff, but they seem pretty unique too...
Wintersun, Eluveitie, Aether Realm are other top bands for me if you feel like investigating them.

oldreddog

Sep 4, 2014
Cross Black Sabbath with The Beatles and you get Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats, deadly stuff!
I'd recommend Arboretum as well, although I'm sure their doom-laded folk music is metal
@ravenwolf you might like Inter Arma

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I listen to a lot of power, thrash and black metal.
Bands in heavy rotation for me lately have been Helloween, Hammerfall, Tyr, Immortal, Bathory.

doctorthoss

Oct 6, 2011
Bigboi.

I had never heard of Maylene and the Sons of Disaster before, but since you posted that video I have been checking them out and really enjoying it. Thanks for turning me on to a new group!

doctorthoss

Oct 6, 2011
Ravenwolf,

I really can't think of anyone who sounds much like Mastodon. They have a very distinctive style of writing and playing that doesn't remind me of anyone else.

I am looking forward to the new Slipknot album, which sounds promising based on the tracks that have been released.

I've not heard of any of the bands you mentioned but will check them out.

unholy1

Might Stick Around
May 4, 2014
@philobeddoe
Epica = Progressive Power Metal + Symphony + Mezzo Soprano
Symphonic metal, it seems to me, is the logical endpoint of metal. Bands like Epica, Nightwish, and Therion fall into the lighter, Metallica-ish side of the spectrum, if you need a reference point. Epica is the heavier of the lighter symphonic metal bands, though, if that makes any sense :)

pipesinperu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2014
@oldreddog Great call on both Uncle Acid and Arboretum! The two Uncle Acid albums are both incredible.
I've been spinning the new Eyehategod lately. Surprisingly strong album after a 14-year break, and one of my favorite heavy bands of all time. Among newer discoveries, there is Hebosagil from Finland.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rEIy4xWqUg

Jan 8, 2013
Unholy, I've not seen you post before I saw your posts here today so here's a belated welcome to the forum :) However, I think of Nightwish and Epica as being more symphonic/traditional/operatic metal. So it's hard to put them in a Metallica-ish category. Both styles are great and I love many styles of metal, but they're quite different. Of course now days, with what seems like a few hundred styles of metal out there, it can be hard to find a category. I remember when it was just thrash metal, power metal, death metal and (gasp!) hair metal (or glam rock). It was easy then lol.
*Edit* Despite the (gasp) after mentioning hair metal/glam rock, I was as much a fan as that style as I was the others. All styles were and are great in their own right. In fact I personally have Motley Crue to thank for turning me onto the louder genre's of rock and roll. I was about 7 or 8 I think when I saw my first Motley Crue video and I progressed from there lol.

Jan 8, 2013
I wouldn't be ashamed to mention Cinderella, Phonomet. I remember the first time I heard the song Night Songs. I was hooked. I still listen to them every once in a while. In fact I actually (and I'm not kidding either lol) have the cd Long Cold Winter sitting here right next to my computer. I pulled it out last night for the soul purpose of listening to it today lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.