PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
I copied the picture, flipped it and image enhanced it before offering $20. I think it says ODA ### and Dunhill / Shell Briar, and then an "S" further down for "Shell". But I don't mind if it's a Medico. ;)
View attachment 327717
It turned out to be a '74 Shell Briar ODA 845. Smoked fairly hard and lots of abuse to the rim. From a structural perspective--the shapes, the lines, the pattern of the blast--the pipe is fairly unattractive, and a good example of why some people avoid certain production years. Smokes fine though.
1000022384.jpg1000022385.jpg

AroEnglish

Rehabilitant
Jan 7, 2020
It turned out to be a '74 Shell Briar ODA 845. Smoked fairly hard and lots of abuse to the rim. From a structural perspective--the shapes, the lines, the pattern of the blast--the pipe is fairly unattractive, and a good example of why some people avoid certain production years. Smokes fine though.
View attachment 328839View attachment 328840
Yeah, I probably wouldn't pay more than $20 for it either 🤥

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Covington, Louisiana
postimg.cc
Did any PeteGeek grab this 9BC? I've never seen one stamped Straight Grain. The shape is from the Republic

1723456367299.png

It looks distinctly different from the ones I've owned with pre-Republic stamping, this one more standard bent Billiard? Like Peterson shape 69?

1723456600936.png

Here is a Premier Selection with a "Made in Ireland" COM.

1723456653599.jpeg

AroEnglish

Rehabilitant
Jan 7, 2020
Did any PeteGeek grab this 9BC? I've never seen one stamped Straight Grain. The shape is from the Republic

View attachment 329713

It looks distinctly different from the ones I've owned with pre-Republic stamping, this one more standard bent Billiard? Like Peterson shape 69?

View attachment 329714

View attachment 329715
I didn't but I was hoping @RustiePyles CPG was going to add it to his legendary Shape 9 collection.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I'm not sure if I saw that one above, but I did watch this one go astronomical.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
NW Missouri
I think you are right! Forum member Chshubbra owns one:

I think this Claret may have drawn so much because of the shape. They may also happen to be thin on the ground right now. I do not usually follow these auctions, but I recall seeing them going for $75 or less more often than not.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
NW Missouri
I'm not sure if I saw that one above, but I did watch this one go astronomical.

I did not expect that outcome, and I am used to seeing those fetch high prices.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State

View attachment 329713

View attachment 329714

View attachment 329715
Bowl is just like all the other 9BC's. The stem has a bone tenon and inlayed metal 'P' - my guess is that someone back in the '50s liked the 9BC stummel, but asked the shop to give him a longer stem.

XFDwBET.jpeg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Covington, Louisiana
postimg.cc
Bowl is just like all the other 9BC's. The stem has a bone tenon and inlayed metal 'P' - my guess is that someone back in the '50s liked the 9BC stummel, but asked the shop to give him a longer stem.

XFDwBET.jpeg
That's a great shot! I think your theory on the stem is right (or perhaps made by Rogers - their Shape 56 stems are slightly different than the UK COM pipes)

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
That's a great shot! I think your theory on the stem is right (or perhaps made by Rogers - their Shape 56 stems are slightly different than the UK COM pipes)
That's a Canadian 56 at top right. Stem/bit is very similar to the Sterling at bottom. Each of my '9BC' stems is different (some shorter, some with wider bits, some with flatter extended bits) - it's possible that one person at Peterson was responsible for the Canadian stems and that he/she also made other stems that sometimes, but not always, ended up on pipes imported by Rogers.

AroEnglish

Rehabilitant
Jan 7, 2020

XFDwBET.jpeg
That are the two banded ones and the one on the top left?

AroEnglish

Rehabilitant
Jan 7, 2020
Top to bottom: Deluxe, Shamrock, Sterling.
Was the Deluxe from deadman a while back and the Sterling an eBay BIN that was listed in the mid $200s? Also your Shamrock looks like the light stain so make sure to hunt down a dark stain one, though I doubt it could compare with the grain on that.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Was the Deluxe from deadman a while back and the Sterling an eBay BIN that was listed in the mid $200s? Also your Shamrock looks like the light stain so make sure to hunt down a dark stain one, though I doubt it could compare with the grain on that.
Deluxe is not from Deadman, and I was the seller of the Sterling you mention - this one was an upgrade.

I had a blonde finish Shamrock and sold it - 'Before and After' pics of the two. When I cleaned the dark one it might have lightened up a little. Or perhaps my 'dark' one is a median stain. I kept the dark one because it has a wider shank and is probably older.

tbfg2gx.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: orlandofurioso

AroEnglish

Rehabilitant
Jan 7, 2020
Deluxe is not from Deadman, and I was the seller of the Sterling you mention - this one was an upgrade.

I had a blonde finish Shamrock and sold it - 'Before and After' pics of the two. When I cleaned the dark one it might have lightened up a little. Or perhaps my 'dark' one is a median stain. I kept the dark one because it has a wider shank and is probably older.

tbfg2gx.jpeg
Wow, both are pretty. You need to give your pals on here a shot at these rejects before sending them to eBay 😁

Reactions: orlandofurioso