PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
NW Missouri
I bid on this pipe, but didn't win it, which is fine with me, as I don't really need another pipe and I especially don't need one I was unlikely to smoke.

The pipe is an unsmoked Barling from the 1950's. The seller, a charity that benefits children, didn't mention that the pipe was unsmoked and I was damned if I wasn't going to get them some money for it.

So I did a reasonable bid for it, one that didn't guarantee my winning but high enough that the winner would have to spend some cash. All of the preceding bids were ridiculously low and I more than doubled what was being bid. The winner still got a good deal as the pipe is worth more than it realized. I just didn't want to get stuck with it. I wasn't surprised that the winner wasn't a dedicated pipe collector, but the type of bidder I refer to as a generalist. They always overpay.

I very nearly put in a bid. I am glad you bid it up for the sake of the hospice.

The price still seems like a heinous steal, especially considering it against the prices of the closest current English-made analogs (Dunhill Bruyere, and Ashton Sovereign pipes). Further, this pipe should have commanded a premium for its vintage and the fact that the marque is essentially dead.

In the end, I decided not to bid because the shape is not one I fancy and the chamber is too large. Even if I could bring myself to put fire to it, I would have too few occasions to smoke it sufficient to break it in before my demise.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I very nearly put in a bid. I am glad you bid it up for the sake of the hospice.

The price still seems like a heinous steal, especially considering it against the prices of the closest current English-made analogs (Dunhill Bruyere, and Ashton Sovereign pipes). Further, this pipe should have commanded a premium for its vintage and the fact that the marque is essentially dead.

In the end, I decided not to bid because the shape is not one I fancy and the chamber is too large. Even if I could bring myself to put fire to it, I would have too few occasions to smoke it sufficient to break it in before my demise.
The buyer got a steal deal, just not as much of a steal deal.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
NW Missouri
I am putting this here because bidders may well have thought they were buying a British pipe. This was made by William Demuth Company under license or in partnership with BBB. Era advertising does make much of the British heritage of the marque. WDC is always (at least in the ads I have seen) mentioned at the end of the history and sales pitch.

None of this is to say the pipe went for an unreasonable sum. WDC made some very nice pipes, and this Ripple is nice and uncommon .

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Covington, Louisiana
postimg.cc
Pretty soft for a Comoy's 284, competition for this shape is usually stronger.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Pretty soft for a Comoy's 284, competition for this shape is usually stronger.

I wonder if the rim darkening and the rippling of the rim of the chamber (effectively making it out of round) lessened interest.

Reactions: grimpeur

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Covington, Louisiana
postimg.cc
A somewhat rare Sasieni Oom-Paul S did well.

1721168156983.png

Same seller, a Peterson 02 House pipe, Shamrock, went for under $100

A new copy of the Peterson book sold well (seller was Mark Irwin).

Neil Archer Roan's Comoy's Blue Riband book did not fare well.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Covington, Louisiana
postimg.cc
Reactions: bayareabriar

AroEnglish

Rehabilitant
Jan 7, 2020
PMF Recovery Center
Reactions: ssjones

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Covington, Louisiana
postimg.cc
Deadman had a good Sunday!

An 8-Dot Patent era Hendon, pretty rare air:

I don't believe I've ever seen a Claret One Dot, looks like not many else had either:

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
A very nice 1962 Barlng's make with a crisp, razor-sharp blast .
Hardly any bowl finish wear . Apart from some moderate oxidation stem looks fine too. I liked it a lot, made the seller a reasonable offer and he accepted.
On its way from Greece, so no shipping, tax etc. hassle. So far I'm chuffed.
Please share your much appreciated learned opinions.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
A very nice 1962 Barlng's make with a crisp, razor-sharp blast .
Hardly any bowl finish wear . Apart from some moderate oxidation stem looks fine too. I liked it a lot, made the seller a reasonable offer and he accepted.
On its way from Greece, so no shipping, tax etc. hassle. So far I'm chuffed.
Please share your much appreciated learned opinions.
Nice blast on this one. I don’t know why the seller thinks the stem is acrylic.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Deadman had a good Sunday!

An 8-Dot Patent era Hendon, pretty rare air:

I don't believe I've ever seen a Claret One Dot, looks like not many else had either:

I thought all clarets had the blue stem accent and dot logo?

D25DC7A3-8035-42E8-BEE6-509A6FB85FDB.jpeg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Covington, Louisiana
postimg.cc
I thought all clarets had the blue stem accent and dot logo?

View attachment 327519
I think you are right! Forum member Chshubbra owns one:

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
$20 obo on an "Old Vtg Collectible Medico Frank Wooden Smoking Pipe 6.25" with very strange markings indeed.

AroEnglish

Rehabilitant
Jan 7, 2020
PMF Recovery Center
$20 obo on an "Old Vtg Collectible Medico Frank Wooden Smoking Pipe 6.25" with very strange markings indeed.
Yeah, what the heck does blank IN blank ND mean? Probably something strange like FADE IN INGLOND.