PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
This is why I hope a few guys who can't make like Elsa and let it go don't get this thread closed.
Post something useful and the noise quickly gets drowned out.

This is one of my favorite Peterson shapes - bigger than a 309 and the stem goes up like a house pipe. I have ones with 'Made in Ireland' and 'Eire' stamps. Now I need a 'Patent'.

Irish Free State '02' small house pipe

s-l1600.webp

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I just woke up, and... really?

My usual "mission" when commenting on pipes in this and similar threads is educational. I figure it is browsed by many more people than post to it, and because the board has no shortage of obviously "entertainment oriented" goofy threads, what's wanted here is serious collector-oriented information.

So, I looked at the pipe below---the "winner" of the group, brand-wise---and described what would be involved to make it desirable again to a curated type of collector, because "scores" found when antique hunting sometimes involve more than the manufacturer's name. The end.

If someone simply wants to clean it up in grime-removal terms and give it a shine, by all means have at it.

Bloody hell...

Screen Shot 2024-08-19 at 6.37.41 PM.png

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
I had one and it was a vulcanite army mount.
Thanks - I showed the pipe to Mark and we were both scratching our heads. Good to have this (army mount) confirmed. In one of the Paddy Larrigan interviews in Mark's book, Larrigan mentioned that when he first joined K&P there were a lot of screw-in's to work on, but I haven't seen many from that period.

I wish weird Peterson's would stop showing up on ebay, as I can't afford any more of them.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State

My usual "mission" when commenting on pipes in this and similar threads is educational. I figure it is browsed by many more people than post to it, and because the board has no shortage of obviously "entertainment oriented" goofy threads, what's wanted here is serious collector-oriented information.

So, I looked at the pipe below---the "winner" of the group, brand-wise---and described what would be involved to make it desirable again to a curated type of collector, because "scores" found when antique hunting sometimes involve more than the manufacturer's name. The end.

If someone simply wants to clean it up in grime-removal terms and give it a shine, by all means have at it.

Bloody hell...

View attachment 331235
Not to incur anyone's wrath by objecting to George's opinion :), but the above pipe looks pretty good to me, in terms of potential to get it looking nice enough for a 'serious' collector. I'm not sure what a "curated type of collector" is, but given how well greenish/brownish stems often turn out, it makes me think that it's someone who requires the stem of a 70 year old pipe to look brand new under a strong magnifier. I've seen such pipes, often where the stummel didn't match the stem's newness - we put it off as acceptable age-related stummel wear. But the stem isn't allowed to have the slightest flaw? Some of the pipes we see selling on ebay for $1,000's I wonder about: will the refurb'd stem pass the microscope test? Is the stem a repro that is so perfect that a "curated type of collector" can't tell the difference? ...and it's not noted in the description and no one cares? I personally want the original stem, and if some slight flaw allows me to positively tell that it's authentic and original, then sue me, but I'm happy.

(Just points for discussion, not battle ... hopefully).

Here's a similar stem that was refurb'd for a collector who thinks of himself as serious, and he was very happy with the results. Also, you never can be sure of what you're going to receive, based on ebay pics. My 'before' photo at top, ebay photo below it.

k5VAiO5.jpeg

hEYxwdy.jpeg

zTNlfqp.jpeg

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Yes. It looked like all the pipes he sold that morning had very-low BIN's - maybe a consignor requirement for quick sales? I passed on several other pipes he was selling that were fantastic deals.
Yeah that is strangely low. From what I've seen Judd has normally started things at under $1 then lets the auction go for a week.

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA

Bloody hell...

View attachment 331235
I dunno, the lack of tooth wear and rim bashing would make me want to have a go. A lot of stems in that condition would oxidize again pretty quickly. If you could get them completely black in the first place. Dunhill stems generally are easier to restore and hold up better in my experience. Limited as it is.

Reactions: greeneyes

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
I dunno, the lack of tooth wear and rim bashing would make me want to have a go. A lot of stems in that condition would oxidize again pretty quickly. If you could get them completely black in the first place. Dunhill stems generally are easier to restore and hold up better in my experience. Limited as it is.
I have plenty of "$20 Dunhills" that I clean up to the best of my ability and smoke around the house. The majority of them I wouldn't sell without disclosing all the flaws they have, as was the case with a recent example I posted above. The problem is that over the years getting the stems to black wears down the material in the manner below to the extent that, eventually, you'd want a new stem anyway.
1724188417769.png

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
I have plenty of "$20 Dunhills" that I clean up to the best of my ability and smoke around the house. The majority of them I wouldn't sell without disclosing all the flaws they have, as was the case with a recent example I posted above. The problem is that over the years getting the stems to black wears down the material in the manner below to the extent that, eventually, you'd want a new stem anyway.
View attachment 331270
I admit to liking nice pipes with flaws. They don’t cost as much, they usually still smoke good, and you don’t feel like you’re handling a Faberge egg.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Hopefully this doesn't sound argumentative, but since it was a picture of my restoration that was edited and commented on, I just want to say that it is unlikely that that stem will need to be replaced during the owner's lifetime (or mine). Buyer's exact response when received; although I never described it as looking new: "Wow man, you are correct this thing looks and feels brand new. Just still in awe of it."

He's happy and I'm happy. And I really don't mind people parsing my sentences or my photographs - this is a hobby for me and if all my pipes burned tomorrow, I'd buy another and enjoy my smokes just as much.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
this is a hobby for me and if all my pipes burned tomorrow, I'd buy another and enjoy my smokes just as much

Yes, this. I like pipes, tobaccos, the history of both, and most of all the friends I’ve made in the hobby, compared to which the first three are trivia. But if forced to choose between a stack of LCs or Ivarssons and time with my family it wouldn’t take a ns to decide.