PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Yes, this. I like pipes, tobaccos, the history of both, and most of all the friends I’ve made in the hobby, compared to which the first three are trivia. But if forced to choose between a stack of LCs or Ivarssons and time with my family it wouldn’t take a ns to decide.
Funny, when I typed that last sentence, for a moment I smiled (faintly) at the thought of 600+ pipes being obliterated.

Reactions: AroEnglish

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Hopefully this doesn't sound argumentative, but since it was a picture of my restoration that was edited and commented on, I just want to say that it is unlikely that that stem will need to be replaced during the owner's lifetime (or mine). Buyer's exact response when received; although I never described it as looking new: "Wow man, you are correct this thing looks and feels brand new. Just still in awe of it."

He's happy and I'm happy. And I really don't mind people parsing my sentences or my photographs - this is a hobby for me and if all my pipes burned tomorrow, I'd buy another and enjoy my smokes just as much.

I commented on an "as found" photo, not a pipe you restored.

Whether or not whoever owns that pipe is OK with the stem being oxidized far enough below the surface that its color must either be accepted as-is, or the stem replaced if they want it to be black again, is simply how the world works when it comes to oxidation. There is no "C".

"Unlikely that the stem will need to be replaced" is too disconnected from the situation to make sense. (?)

If you ask ten people whether a manufactured object pipe "looks new" you'll get ten answers. Unless they are experienced and have a trained eye, none will get it right except by luck. It's also frequently used as a phrase that's not to be taken literally.

No one is parsing your sentences or photos, they are responding to remarks you made which required specifics to explain.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I know I rank lower than Pete and Ken, but after “et al”? Really? I’m surprised class-action plaintiff solicitation spam isn’t higher too.
Jon,

Just looked at my post and you're ahead of the etal, but just barely. In future I'll surround your name with a host of cherubim playing trumpets so as to show the proper sense of awe.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
I commented on an "as found" photo, not a pipe you restored.

Whether or not whoever owns that pipe is OK with the stem being oxidized far enough below the surface that its color must either be accepted as-is, or the stem replaced if they want it to be black again, is simply how the world works when it comes to oxidation. There is no "C".

"Unlikely that the stem will need to be replaced" is too disconnected from the situation to make sense. (?)

If you ask ten people whether a manufactured object pipe "looks new" you'll get ten answers. Unless they are experienced and have a trained eye, none will get it right except by luck. It's also frequently used as a phrase that's not to be taken literally.

No one is parsing your sentences or photos, they are responding to remarks you made which required specifics to explain.
I was responding to the other guy's post, not yours. I didn't want to quote it because I didn't want to further any situations.

Thus...everything I stated probably sounds disconnected to you, as we are talking about two different pipes.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Dang! I missed all the fun!
Maybe this image of a 1903 Barling's Special will make you forget about missing all 'the fun':

jezQEVi.jpeg

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
That’s an F.
Nope. If you blow up the image enough you can see that the shape continues and connects under the stain. "B" is possible. The stamp designs are a bit different from other hallmark stamps I've seen for this period, which is why the letter doesn't precisely match any of the illustrations on sites dealing with sterling hallmarks.
1917 would definitely gibe with both the existance of the "Barling's Make" logo stamp and the "Special" in the center of the maker's decal on the inside of the case.

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
I dunno, the lack of tooth wear and rim bashing would make me want to have a go. A lot of stems in that condition would oxidize again pretty quickly. If you could get them completely black in the first place. Dunhill stems generally are easier to restore and hold up better in my experience. Limited as it is.
I find my Patent Dunnie stems the easiest to "restore".
The quality of the ebonite was ( and is ) truly astonishing. Such an immense joy to work on, it truly makes silly me feel happy on a dark day. On a bright day too btw.
Through and through black stems are imho a myth.
The sulphur is all through the material; no matter how well you polish them, when under bright light a little brown always shines through. Does not really bother me, that's life.
So, without wishing to revisit and old discussion or again open the same can of worms , completely deoxidizing stems is a myth . But this is only me:)

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
For a long while I've been after an "old" Charatan, something predating the more "modern" pipes of the '50s and, especially '60s onward and, to my mind, they are the absolute devil to date with any accuracy. Could anyone say with any certainty "this is a 1940s Charatan"? In any case, I finally came across an old Charatan with hallmarks and mention of vendor which helps to date it with reasonable accuracy and put up a bit of a fight for it. The nomenclature on the pipe reads "Charatan / London / Made" and, opposite that, "DAMMAN / MELBOURNE" (the likely seller). The hallmarks have an "FC" in oval, and Birminham date letters corresponding to 1917. The stem isn't quite flush with the shank, perhaps due to age-related shrinkage? The ad is from a 1921 "The Speculum", a newsletter for Melbourne (AUS) medical students.
PXL_20240822_131952224~2.jpgPXL_20240822_132017228~2.jpgPXL_20240822_132036453~2.jpgPXL_20240822_132101114~2.jpgPXL_20240822_132117230~2.jpgPXL_20240822_132142570~2.jpgPXL_20240822_132157722~2.jpgPXL_20240822_132217844~2.jpgDamman Charatan 1921 The Speculum.jpg1917.jpg

Attachments

• Damman Charatan 1921 The Speculum.jpg
    Damman Charatan 1921 The Speculum.jpg
    302.6 KB · Views: 1