PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
One difference between this site and a regular auction house, Tinbids has no provisions I could find for collecting sales tax, which suggests that the seller will be liable for paying them rather than the buyer.

I have little faith that any of the commerce flowing through the site will not have to be reported in one way or another. If there is some language regarding this, and I missed it, I'd like to know where to find it.
It's a little vague, but it's in section 7.1 of the terms and conditions..........

7.1 The Marketplace is designed solely for the Purpose. The Marketplace does not allow for TinBids or the Seller or Consignor to lease goods to Buyers. Anything You do in contravention of these Marketplace Terms and, specifically, the Purpose, will subject You to removal from the Marketplace entirely at TinBids’ sole discretion. Unless otherwise provided in any Terms of Sale provided by TinBids, all sales are final. TinBids will not be responsible for or involve itself in any disputes between Buyers and Sellers or Consignors or other Users regarding any purchase and sale of goods in the Marketplace. You are responsible for paying all fees and taxes associated with your use of the Marketplace wherever levied or required. Your responsibility includes withholding tax if it applies. TinBids may collect geographical location information to determine your location, which may be used for tax purposes.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
It's a little vague, but it's in section 7.1 of the terms and conditions..........

7.1 The Marketplace is designed solely for the Purpose. The Marketplace does not allow for TinBids or the Seller or Consignor to lease goods to Buyers. Anything You do in contravention of these Marketplace Terms and, specifically, the Purpose, will subject You to removal from the Marketplace entirely at TinBids’ sole discretion. Unless otherwise provided in any Terms of Sale provided by TinBids, all sales are final. TinBids will not be responsible for or involve itself in any disputes between Buyers and Sellers or Consignors or other Users regarding any purchase and sale of goods in the Marketplace. You are responsible for paying all fees and taxes associated with your use of the Marketplace wherever levied or required. Your responsibility includes withholding tax if it applies. TinBids may collect geographical location information to determine your location, which may be used for tax purposes.
Was just reading that you saved me the trouble of posting it lol

Reactions: beefeater33

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Was just reading that you saved me the trouble of posting it lol
I think you are right though.......... the buyer would pay at checkout if they are being collected. I just put a consignment tin in my cart at 4noggins and went to the checkout and there was no sales tax added, same for Pipestud........... ?‍♂️

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
I think the sales tax issue is a bit squishy. Some states (like NJ) absolutely go after the buyer, not the out of state seller. I’ve received such demand letters in the past. I guess they figure it’s easier and cheaper to dun a resident.

As for the idea that the TinBids s/w collects tax from the buyer upon checkout and it’s then forwarded to the appropriate jurisdiction, if anyone here has bought something off the site they’d know the answer and can speak up.

lightxmyfire

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2019
DMV Area
I bought a tin off of the site and it was super easy, shipped quickly and arrived in great condition. The only extra charge was the shipping. So idk about the taxes, hopefully this doesn’t get used as evidence when they come for my 5 dollars I never paid.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com

Vague, but also clear. Buyers would be responsible for any sales taxes, and sellers would be responsible for reporting any income profit from the sale of their goods. Tinbids indemnifies itself (hopefully) from any liability by pointing this out. Data from sales will be collected for reporting if required.

Reactions: beefeater33

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Don't really think they expect it to sell, but god only knows, there's a lot of knuckleheads with a lot of money, is it any worse than paying 2500 for a brand new box of cohiba lanceros and plenty of knuckleheads are doing that lol
When you're talking Cohiba Lanceros, you are talking knucklehead. The Lancero was one of the most often faked cigars around.

My late father-in-law had a hell of a walk-in humidor, stuffed to the rafters with Cuban cigars. He wouldn't go near a Lancero.

I used to get mine via diplomatic pouch, courtesy of Her Majesty's government.

It's good to have friends...

Dublin Old Man

Might Stick Around
Aug 22, 2020
Dublin, Ohio
If I am willing to pay 200 for X tobacco , and I bid that … the price rises Automatically until your bid surpasses my initial bid
Thanks for the explanation but I still don't understand. I assumed it worked like typical auctions where price is determined by the highest bid (not automatically). If it is a variation upon a typical auction, I would expect that the site would explain the variation in the terms or FAQ.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Thanks for the explanation but I still don't understand. I assumed it worked like typical auctions where price is determined by the highest bid (not automatically). If it is a variation upon a typical auction, I would expect that the site would explain the variation in the terms or FAQ.
It’s like eBay. You can put in your highest bid,as high as you want to go, say 100 the bid starts at 10, someone else bids 15, the system automatically bids for you because you told it you would go up too 100, the amount of increases is decided by the system it doesn’t automatically bid 100 for you, now if you have 2 bidders one with a max of 100 and one with a max of 105 the system will keep placing incremental bids for both bidders and eventually the guy with the 105 max will win, unless of course the bidder with 100 ups his max bid.
The only difference and maybe confusing thing up is they list those system bids as auto.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
So this place gets your tobacco and they sell it for you and get a piece of the action? Or is it a buyer to seller transaction with Tin Bid never touching the tobacco themselves? I am confused as usual.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
So this place gets your tobacco and they sell it for you and get a piece of the action? Or is it a buyer to seller transaction with Tin Bid never touching the tobacco themselves? I am confused as usual.
Th never touch it they are the middle man that handles the money and shipping logistics by supplying the seller with shipping labels and documents.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com