PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

alan73

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
Perhaps just a coincidence, but the volume and prices have both gone WAY up since sponsoring this forum! I have no idea what other marketing things they’ve done, but what’s that say about us? ?
I disagree. Not so much… plenty of big prices thru multiple public websites . I am a stock market guy , markets guy by profession , this is true price discovery . Supply and demand amongst the general population. Not equal but it is a free market. ?

Reactions: Papamique and jguss

alan73

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
Nope not gonna go starting rumors, just have to read posts and pay attention and make educated guesses. lol It's only up for 24 hours so I'm guessing it's a test / are there any whales with too much money out there auction.
Ehh, the site has been up for 3-4 weeks I am pretty sure. , I was on Tinbids before it was a thread on this site.

While I love Pipestud, the best and most dominant consignor of aged tins. , I have sold over 10k in pipes thru his services , I really do like him and will use again. But his consignment tobacco prices are fixed (and in my opinion artificially low ) I was actively trying to buy some of his stuff this last weekend , MCC 27 and 40th, sold out in seconds.

why not have an auction site for that type of stuff ?

I want to invest directly into Tinbids . I think it’s a winning strategy, in these insane times . people willingly will pay more than what you think for any tobacco and what you think it is worth. .

It’s reality , hate it , love it , these are the days of our lives .

Reactions: jguss

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Ehh, the site has been up for 3-4 weeks I am pretty sure. , I was on Tinbids before it was a thread on this site.

While I love Pipestud, the best and most dominant consignor of aged tins. , I have sold over 10k in pipes thru his services , I really do like him and will use again. But his consignment tobacco prices are fixed (and in my opinion artificially low ) I was actively trying to buy some of his stuff this last weekend , MCC 27 and 40th, sold out in seconds.

why not have an auction site for that type of stuff ?

I want to invest directly into Tinbids . I think it’s a winning strategy, in these insane times . people willingly will pay more than what you think for any tobacco and what you think it is worth. .

It’s reality , hate it , love it , these are the days of our lives .
Yes if you have a lot of tobacco to sell Steve is great, guaranteed to sell in one minute, but they reason is they are sold at a fair value, the other end of the spectrum is 4Nog where some of the prices are insane and project sits for weeks or months even, in the end it's nice to have lots of options so all the bases are covered.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Perhaps just a coincidence, but the volume and prices have both gone WAY up since sponsoring this forum! I have no idea what other marketing things they’ve done, but what’s that say about us? ?
Hard to say. There are hundreds, perhaps thousands, of lurkers, many overseas, who look at the forum. Tinbids has been around for a while. Visibility is key.

Reactions: AcesAndEights
Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
People are paying that and one hell of a lot more. I bought the stuff to smoke, not to sell. But I could be persuaded...
Im beginning to think I could be persuaded as well. For those prices, I'd sell a couple 8oz bags of esoterica and go commision a pipe or two and stock up on some tobacco.
Just kind of in awe. Especially seeing later Esoterica bags fetching those prices.

Reactions: fireground_piper

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
The real question is is when does the market have enough, do the prices hold like this or is there a limited market, with Habanos they have billions of people in China clamoring for Cuban Cigars, but pipe tobacco might be different at least for now, really hard to tell, don't want to miss the boat, but then as they say with vintage cigars "they don't roll those anymore", same with some of these tobaccos you have to assume that as it ages it get's more valuable, then again some of those prices are for fresh bags, that's the crazy thing to me.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
One difference between this site and a regular auction house, Tinbids has no provisions I could find for collecting sales tax, which suggests that the seller will be liable for paying them rather than the buyer.

I have little faith that any of the commerce flowing through the site will not have to be reported in one way or another. If there is some language regarding this, and I missed it, I'd like to know where to find it.

Reactions: fireground_piper

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I have a feeling that the sales tax is figured and charged when checking out like other sites, they are using payment systems and that is usually almost always part of the check out process, so they are collecting it from the buyer and paying it, sales tax isn't going to the seller.