PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I have two auctions where the buyers have not paid. I'm not talking high dollar auctions, but if they were $100+ auctions for a tin, it would be disappointing. It'll be interesting to see how this works out. There really isn't any penalty for not paying. Non-paying bidders account will be flagged and could be possibly suspended.

Good luck to all the sellers who have auctions with high dollar bids. My success rate so far on Tinbids is 50%.

I'm not out anything, I can still smoke the tobacco.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I have two auctions where the buyers have not paid. I'm not talking high dollar auctions, but if they were $100+ auctions for a tin, it would be disappointing. It'll be interesting to see how this works out. There really isn't any penalty for not paying. Non-paying bidders account will be flagged and could be possibly suspended.

Good luck to all the sellers who have auctions with high dollar bids. My success rate so far on Tinbids is 50%.

Had my test auction sell, $31 and got $26 and change for my end. They do need stronger language for people that don’t pay, the one strike system, you get one and the second you’re banned, simple as that. Makes you wonder if anyone is going to actually pay 590 for that esoterica.

Also my personal opinion is people should put things up with low starting bids and just have a reserve to get interest going and mb a bidding war, people putting things up for stupid amounts aren’t doing anyone favors there. If one or more of y’all are those people good luck to you, just my opinion as someone that would like to see the site take off.

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog

Was thinking about posting a tin and came here first to see if you'd posted any updates. I think I'll keep watching for a while.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Little mini bidding war .. lol ok not a war, but a couple hours to go on my auction and up 20 bucks, that's what an extra 15 and change in my pocket, I'm not greedy extra money is extra money, that's another tin of something.

Reactions: scloyd

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
It's nice to have another resource for the community in general and another sponsor as well but the site needs some work.

I bid on 2 auctions. I wone 1 and lost 1. I have received 0 notifications from the site that I had been outbid, lost, or even won.

Signing up and bidding was easy enough but until I saw this thread a few minutes ago I completely forgot I had bid. With the reminder I logged in and saw the results.

How to pay was not bad to figure out but not as straightforward as it should be. Also not having other payment options other than a credit card directly through the site is concerning. I realize I pay a small amount more by using third parties like PayPal but I do so for the added protection.

It was also annoying to find out I lost a bid by $1 and would have gladly bid more had I known. I know I could have simply placed a higher bid to begin with but I was the first person to bid and I wanted to watch the auction to see how it went before doing anything else. Apparently you have to be logged into the site to actually "watch" the progress.

I'd suggest the site owners/administrators add email notifications of auction progress similar to what other sites do and at least consider third party payment options. Also add a "pay now" but in the "My Account/Auctions Won" section instead of having to click to go back to the item auction page to pay.

This is just my thoughts.

Reactions: alan73 and scloyd

Swiss Army Knife

Can't Leave
Jul 12, 2021
North Carolina
Not a fan of bid style auctions or bidding wars myself, would just rather have a price and pay it. But for those that have the blood pressure for that kind of thing TinBids looks like a great option. They've got a pretty nice mobile site as well.

Reactions: rmbittner

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
It's nice to have another resource for the community in general and another sponsor as well but the site needs some work.

I bid on 2 auctions. I wone 1 and lost 1. I have received 0 notifications from the site that I had been outbid, lost, or even won.

Signing up and bidding was easy enough but until I saw this thread a few minutes ago I completely forgot I had bid. With the reminder I logged in and saw the results.

How to pay was not bad to figure out but not as straightforward as it should be. Also not having other payment options other than a credit card directly through the site is concerning. I realize I pay a small amount more by using third parties like PayPal but I do so for the added protection.

It was also annoying to find out I lost a bid by $1 and would have gladly bid more had I known. I know I could have simply placed a higher bid to begin with but I was the first person to bid and I wanted to watch the auction to see how it went before doing anything else. Apparently you have to be logged into the site to actually "watch" the progress.

I'd suggest the site owners/administrators add email notifications of auction progress similar to what other sites do and at least consider third party payment options. Also add a "pay now" but in the "My Account/Auctions Won" section instead of having to click to go back to the item auction page to pay.

This is just my thoughts.
I think the only time i saw an outbid notification was when i logged back in and yes it was after the auction was over before i even saw you.

I spoke with them a bit and there is a phase one of the project coming out in October, not sure of all the features but I know being able to edit your auction should be a feature delivered in the Oct update.

Takes time to get the bugs out and roll out features.

Reactions: shanez

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I won my first two auctions in a row, quite easy. :)

I was about to post what I won, one auction no one placed any bids, which I thought was odd, and the other had quite a few bidders.

@Swiss Army Knife some sellers do place a Buy option, so it depends on who’s selling, if they give you that option.

@AJL67 Hmm, if I sold there, I would not want to hassle with international shipping, hope that works out painless for you.

Seeing that we might have to ship internationally, I’ll put up anything I have here on the forum, to support my fellow smokers!. :)

On a side not, if TinBids doesn’t have a shipping/choice option, they should, why, because when .com was first created, it was considered way back then a Commercial USA Domain, and I still associate .com to USA businesses which is still common place.

Last edited:
Reactions: alan73

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
They have what appears to be a USA toll free number, combined with a .com domain in cyberspace, this assumes we do business only in the USA not overseas.

But then, it’s my understanding if you sell on ebay.com, you could be shipping overseas too, at least I know deadmanspipes has shipped pipes overseas.

It’s been so long that I’ve dealt with FleaBay, that I don’t know if you sell on their .com domain, you can choose to only ship USA.

I mean seriously, rhetorically speaking of, don’t these people understand Geo Location domains? .com .uk .ie .ch etc. etc...

My point being, since a lot of people don’t understand this, or have forgotten about this, is the original domain structure was to help people navigate the web and work within those countries for business.

Dec 11, 2021
Fort Collins, CO
So I decided to throw out a flyer and bid on something just for fun. Here it is a week later, and I’m about to win it. It says “reserve not met” though. Does that mean the seller gets to choose whether or not to accept my bid if it holds?

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
So I decided to throw out a flyer and bid on something just for fun. Here it is a week later, and I’m about to win it. It says “reserve not met” though. Does that mean the seller gets to choose whether or not to accept my bid if it holds?

So the bid ended and you were the highest bidder, but it didn’t meet the reserve price? hmm 🤔