PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I forgot to add that plum flavored cat vomit - Erinmore Mixture. I purchased a tin and really tried to like it, I even purchase a 1 Lb bag Gawith & Hogwarts Broken No: 7 since @simong told me that by adding a flake to a bowl full sort of dialed it back to how it tasted in the early 1980s. This resulted in me loving Broken Flake No: 7 and donating the tin of Erinmore Mixture to some fellow on here. I have had Erinmore Plug and that was just amazing which is probably why it's not made anymore. The Mixture version of Erinmore is like sucking warm something or other into your mouth via your pipe with a flavor profile that I blush to describe.
I haven't tried Erinmore yet, but I think it's likely on my shelves... You make it sound a little like Royal Yacht (I'd have to go and re-read about them), so I'm wondering if it's in the same camp?

Reactions: Friendly Piper

khiddy

Starting to Get Obsessed
I had two bowls of Old Gowrie yesterday in two different pipes, and was surprised at how much I did not enjoy it. The tin note was interesting and inviting, smelled a bit like prune juice, so I was primed for a sweet and lovely smoke. I dried out a healthy pinch or two (the tin was quite moist), and loaded it in my MM Country Gentleman. I got a smoke that was acrid and cigarette-ish, bitey and not awesome. Later in the day, I packed a clay with the balance of what I had dried (which was now bordering on very dry). Same thing, full of bite and harsh smoke. Very disappointing.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I had two bowls of Old Gowrie yesterday in two different pipes, and was surprised at how much I did not enjoy it. The tin note was interesting and inviting, smelled a bit like prune juice, so I was primed for a sweet and lovely smoke. I dried out a healthy pinch or two (the tin was quite moist), and loaded it in my MM Country Gentleman. I got a smoke that was acrid and cigarette-ish, bitey and not awesome. Later in the day, I packed a clay with the balance of what I had dried (which was now bordering on very dry). Same thing, full of bite and harsh smoke. Very disappointing.
I had that experience with a 3.5 oz MacBaren Navy Flake tin I opened last week. I know it's quality leaf, I just can't get the flavor / experience / satisfaction I'm looking for out of it....... Maybe we should trade...

Merton

Lifer
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
Sorry you didn't enjoy it. Try it again at a later time perhaps. It is one of my all time favorite blends, although I certainly recognize that it is not for everyone. Smoke what you like, like what you smoke and, if possible, always include a new tobacco or two in any order. You will frequently be disappointed but every once in while you will discover something which will send you off in a direction you never anticipated!

Friendly Piper

Might Stick Around
Sep 22, 2023
Northern Virginia
I haven't tried Erinmore yet, but I think it's likely on my shelves... You make it sound a little like Royal Yacht (I'd have to go and re-read about them), so I'm wondering if it's in the same camp?
I enjoy both Erinmore Flake and The Royal Yacht, but they’re very different to me.

Erinmore is a Virginia-Burley with Black Cav that contains a love-it-or-hate-it fruit topping. I happen to love it, but that may be influenced by the nostalgia it produces in me (my father smoked this). JimInks described the topping as similar to Juicy Fruit gum, and that’s as close to a description as I can conjure (though it’s definitely deeper than Juicy Fruit and somehow allows the tobacco flavors to come through).

The Royal Yacht is pure Virginia (supposedly it’s “specially treated,” though I don’t know what that means). No Burley. No Black Cav. And a very different love-it-or-hate-it fruit topping that strikes me as plummy.

I can absolutely understand why some people would have these on their “worst” lists. I was hesitant to try either, but found that the flavors really agreed with me. I’d recommend finding a sample of each, though neither is all that expensive.

If you end up trying either or both, I’d love to hear what you think!

Reactions: FLDRD

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I am a chocoholic and rum is my favourite spirit along with cognac.

Couldn’t finish the rum blend or the chocolate one that I bought after diligently going through the recommendations in TobaccoReviews and SmokingPipes

Eating/drinking and smoking rarely translate and are best treated as completely different experiences

khiddy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sorry you didn't enjoy it. Try it again at a later time perhaps. It is one of my all time favorite blends, although I certainly recognize that it is not for everyone. Smoke what you like, like what you smoke and, if possible, always include a new tobacco or two in any order. You will frequently be disappointed but every once in while you will discover something which will send you off in a direction you never anticipated!
I have nearly 400 blends in my cellar, and always get new blends to try with every order, for sure.

I sought out Old Gowrie because it was billed as a similar blend to one of my favorites, the polarizing Royal Yacht. The OG tin note showed some similarities, but definitely a lot plummier/prunier than RY. The smoke itself diverged even more from my beloved RY.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ll give the Old Gowrie another go, just not anytime soon. I’ll let the jar settle down for a few weeks before loading another bowl. In the meantime, RY and University Flake will tide me over. Perhaps I’ll even open the McConnell Paddington as it is also supposed to be a RY clone.

filmguerilla

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2022
Memphis, Tennessee
Without a doubt my pick for most disgusting, vile, nauseating tobacco is Germain’s version of Balkan Sobranie, an unholy blend redolent of gasoline infused puppy farts.
I've read you voice this sentiment a few times here and am, frankly, baffled by it. I smoked Sobranie in the 80's and, indeed, loved it. But I'd say today's version is just fine. As is H&H Black House/White Knight. If there's a version that's not quite on point, IMO, it would be Sutliff's match versions. They are good, but don't remind me of the tins I got back in the day.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I've read you voice this sentiment a few times here and am, frankly, baffled by it. I smoked Sobranie in the 80's and, indeed, loved it. But I'd say today's version is just fine. As is H&H Black House/White Knight. If there's a version that's not quite on point, IMO, it would be Sutliff's match versions. They are good, but don't remind me of the tins I got back in the day.
I find the Germain’s version to be nothing like what I smoked in the 1970’s and 1980’s. The quality of the leaf is different, the red Virginia, the Latakia, the Yenidje, are not the same. Not a surprise. Different sources, different processing.
I’ve tried to like this version but find it impossible to smoke a bowl of it.
If you’re happy with it, great! Enjoy! Wish I could, as I loved it back in the day, though I loved 759 more, but I simply find it revolting.

Uguccione

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2024
Italy
I had two bowls of Old Gowrie yesterday in two different pipes, and was surprised at how much I did not enjoy it
It's strange, not that you didn't like it, but that you found it acrid and cigarette-ish. Maybe you shouldn't have let it dry.
Maybe next time try smoking it with the humidity of the tin.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Only two blends I've given a 1 star review, there're plenty of blends I didn't like and gave away but these are the only blends that made me angry smoking them!
  • C&D Mississippi Mud - abysmal taste of excrement
  • SG Celtic Talisman - plastic cherry

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I enjoy both Erinmore Flake and The Royal Yacht, but they’re very different to me.

Erinmore is a Virginia-Burley with Black Cav that contains a love-it-or-hate-it fruit topping. I happen to love it, but that may be influenced by the nostalgia it produces in me (my father smoked this). JimInks described the topping as similar to Juicy Fruit gum, and that’s as close to a description as I can conjure (though it’s definitely deeper than Juicy Fruit and somehow allows the tobacco flavors to come through).

The Royal Yacht is pure Virginia (supposedly it’s “specially treated,” though I don’t know what that means). No Burley. No Black Cav. And a very different love-it-or-hate-it fruit topping that strikes me as plummy.

I can absolutely understand why some people would have these on their “worst” lists. I was hesitant to try either, but found that the flavors really agreed with me. I’d recommend finding a sample of each, though neither is all thatI t
I tried Royal Yacht and wanted to like it, but I couldn't. It was the first truly disappointing Peterson blend. (Standard was "meh", the rest I've liked so far.) I sent it off for free with some other fruity types to someone whom I hope enjoyed them.
I may choose to automatically pass on Erinmore if I find I indeed have one tucked away. Better to pass it along unopened as I'll likely not appreciate it.
For me, it's the fruity-ness that has destroyed a blend consistently.

spike

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2009
I had that experience with a 3.5 oz MacBaren Navy Flake tin I opened last week. I know it's quality leaf, I just can't get the flavor / experience / satisfaction I'm looking for out of it....... Maybe we should trade...
It’s funny you mention MacBaren Navy Flake. I opened a tin of it last month because I liked it the first few timed I smoked it a couple years ago. The latest one was horrible and I tossed it.