PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I must say that I am incredibly surprised at the number of folks who’ve mentioned throwing tobacco away. I would never do that. Just give it to someone else whose taste buds may appreciate it.

I guess it’s another sign that we’re living in a “throwaway culture,” as the former Argentinian Jorge Bergoglio speaks about regularly.
I haven't tossed any, but some of us know no other pipe smokers in person, so giving it away requires paying to do so by mailing it...

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
So far I only have one, Sillems Black. Probably just a bad tin, but tasted rancid.
Just goes to show how subjective tastes can be.
Sillem’s Black is one of my favourite blends - a crossover English.

When freshly opened, the aromatic notes are dominant.
Once opened for a couple of years, the aromatic notes subside, and the Latakia comes to the fore - in a gentle way.

It is NOT a smoke bomb.

Tastes change, often in dramatic ways.
Growing up, I hated coriander/cilantro and would pick out every finely chopped speck out of my food.
I absolutely love it now 😋

@LongIslandPiper
You know where to send your tin should you have the same dislike as @PipeMarc 😁

BayouGhost

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 10, 2024
Louisiana
MacBaren London Blend. I generally like any MacBaren I have tried but bought this on the premise that rumors of it being cased and topped heavily were false. I could enjoy it at about halfway down the bowl after the children's cereal levels of chocolate powder topping burned off. At that point, the burleys were great, and I enjoyed the second half of the bowl in a cob greatly. The constituent tobacco was of very good quality, but the Swiss Miss chocolate powder flavor threw me off. I kept the tins in my above ground "cellar" in case I ever run across anyone who loves chocolate toppings. They are free to have it. I generally do not like heavy toppings or casings and am sort of a plain tea, plain black coffee type of person. This is probably why I do not like any sort of aromatic or heavily topped blends in general including Maltese Falcon, which is topped with ginger root. I will however, soon, give sun bear a try if I can find a tin just to confirm or dispel the hype that it is not a pure aromatic. The only aromatic that I ever tried and did not hate was Connoisseur's Choice, but I would not seek it out on purpose. Again, I am attempting to avoid any dismissal of aromatics in a snobbish fashion. These are must my own personal tastes.

KruegerFlap

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2021
Ohio
The only tobacco so far I refuse to smoke any more of is Borkum Riff Whiskey. I bought a pouch to try it out and fresh out the bag it tasted like a chemical weapons factory blended it. I put it in a jar for about 6 months and it became tolerable but I won't be spending any more money on that one!

Reactions: Friendly Piper

Grimlineman

Might Stick Around
Nov 14, 2023
Georgia
Others already mentioned it but haunted book shop was one I did not think was very good and was surprised by that because it has such a large following. I like burley and perique in other blends but this has a stale taste to my pallet.

Sutliff vanilia custard was another I ordered and threw out after one bowl though it seems very popular and why I tried it. The topping was way over powering for my taste. I opened the bag to let it dry out in my truck. My truck is still ghosted……I have a permanent vanilla Custard air freshener.

Last edited:

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Others already mentioned it but haunted book shop was one I did not think was very good and was surprised by that because it has such a large following. I like burley and perique in other blends but this has a stale taste to my pallet.

Sutliff vanilia custard was another I ordered and threw out after one bowl though it seems very popular and why I tried it. The topping was way over powering for my taste. I opened the bag to let it dry out in my truck. My truck is still ghosted……I have a permanent vanilla Custard air freshener.
I was given a free tin of vanilla custard a few years ago to accompany an order I had placed...
I was smart enough to never open that one and gave it away with a group including Cult Blood Red Moon that I actually had tried.
Sun Bear is an enjoyable aromatic though.

May 14, 2024
United States
I
Once I found out what tobacco could actually taste like, I came to despise all fruity type of aromatics. Even some classics like Cult Blood Red Moon, Royal Yacht, and others with that apricot... Gathered them up and gave them away. I may still have more lurking on my shelves that will be passed along.

The one that mystifies me is Briar Fox. A few years back I tried 1, maybe 2 tins of it. I was certain I could/would/should like it. Out of all the bowls I tried and tried, only a couple of them were acceptable. I can't remember why I thought I was really going to enjoy it, but I may even have a few tins in the cellar with some age on them now. They may find a new home someday.
I had the opposite experience with Briar Fox: I bought it blindly and on a whim because the price was great, and I was expecting very little from it based on the jar note. Three bowls in and I thought "There's nothing interesting here at all." Just bland, a kind of "why?" blend. One tin later and I was craving it almost nightly, had gone through it faster than any other blend before. I won't buy it again without buying bulk.

If you decide to relieve yourself of aged tins, let me know!

I

I had the opposite experience with Briar Fox: I bought it blindly and on a whim because the price was great, and I was expecting very little from it based on the jar note. Three bowls in and I thought "There's nothing interesting here at all." Just bland, a kind of "why?" blend. One tin later and I was craving it almost nightly, had gone through it faster than any other blend before. I won't buy it again without buying bulk.

If you decide to relieve yourself of aged tins, let me know!
I also had to be acclimated into Briar Fox. I started with an aged tin that my pipe club picked up, and I was unimpressed with it's dirt taste. Then, I decided to try a fresh tin, just to appease my curiosity, and ended up becoming a huge fan of it. It does have a good amount of nicotine though.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
When I switched from cigs to the pipe, I immediately preferred certain D&R or c&d blends because they taste the most ”cigarette-ish” to me. The ones that I never enjoyed are the cavendish-based aromatics, pretty much across the board.

damacene

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2022
Los Angeles, CA
This may be low hanging fruit but Sutliff Black Cherry. Can't stand aromatics, especially of the cherry variety. Also I really hated Sutliff Match Victorian at first (I know several members on this forum love it so I apologize). Victorian was extremely musty, bordering on a fungal/mildew flavor that made me sick. After several months in the jar its much better. Not my favorite but still acceptable and will be saved for the inevitable tobbaccopolypse.

Pipke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 3, 2024
Chardon, Ohio. USA
C&D Haunted Bookshop smells and tastes like ass. Thought I'd give another one of their blends a try - Crooner. It also smells and tastes like ass. Now I'm stuck with 8 ounces of jarred ass.
Try blending a bowl or two with something you do like. Haunted Bookshop was tough for me. It tended to burn hot and fry my brain. After spending a recent week in a remote part of Kentucky burley country, chilling out in a cabin away from work, commuting, cell phones, and internet, I made friends with that blend. I never tried Crooner, but I'd take that Bookshop off your hands if you wish.

Reactions: Snook
I’d, um, love to get my hands on your ass?
Freezing Mitch Mcconnell GIF by GIPHY News

Douglas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2023
Georgia, USA
Cobblestone Hiking. Bought two tins about a year ago. Smoked maybe 3-4 bowls. I keep saying it will grow on me but so far it’s a no. Haven’t tried in a while so don’t remember the specifics. It just had a bad taste, really bad to me.