PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Snook

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2019
Idaho
Try blending a bowl or two with something you do like. Haunted Bookshop was tough for me. It tended to burn hot and fry my brain. After spending a recent week in a remote part of Kentucky burley country, chilling out in a cabin away from work, commuting, cell phones, and internet, I made friends with that blend. I never tried Crooner, but I'd take that Bookshop off your hands if you wish.
I'll give it a try, but I don't have high hopes! Thanks for the suggestion.
I’d, um, love to get my hands on your ass? No, really, LMK if you might be interested in a trade—the thought of unloved HB sitting in a jar makes me sad.
Haha, yeah that might be a better fate for it than a lifetime on a shelf. Send me a message.

Reactions: Friendly Piper

BingBong

Lifer
Apr 26, 2024
London UK
I haven't returned to G&H Mahogany after the first bowl, although I feel that it needs another chance before I run up the white flag - or maybe that memory has faded.

But now, Charatan 160th Anniversary. One bowl and no, just no. Can't get the damned stink out of my beard, sticks like sht to a blnket.

I think my aro limits are Erinmore Flake and University Flake, can do Ennerdale from time to time in its modern toned down version. That's just how it is.

Pipke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 3, 2024
Chardon, Ohio. USA
I’ve been having a really hard time getting through my tin of Granger. I’m sure it’s partly a smoking error on my part, but I always get terrible bite from it. Tried it wet/dry, different pipes, filter/no filter. And the flavor isn’t worth it.
Burley. I'll have to agree with you about the Granger. I've never smoked Granger, but Daughters and Ryan Two Timer is another inexpensive burley. I have the same sort of trouble that you experienced with Granger with that stuff. It burns in the pipe like a barn fire. Can't taste anything so hot. I imagine Granger to be more of the same.

I've managed to slow down burley blends like Haunted Bookshop and Pegasus to begin to enjoy them. Half and Half is OK. I do like the burley tin note - that "nutty" flavor is kind of woody and mint-like. I taste that smoking it sometimes. It's its own flavor. But often I am left scrambling for a cool burning English/Balkan blend to soothe my burley-induced butt-hurt. Something about burley... Maybe we have to pack those down real hard to get it to slow down.

gord

Can't Leave
Well, not my worst tobacco, but my friend Mike's. I offered him one of my favorites the other day, Bengal Slices, and he being a man of colorful but never usually vulgar words, exclaimed "That's the worst garbage I've ever smoked in a pipe. Now I've got to give the pipe an enema."

Man, how our tastes are different, eh? I usually avoid Cherry flavoured aromatics whenever possible, but a few of them are smokable. He loves them. Messy stuff good only for breaking in pipes.

Last edited:

Skippy B. Coyote

Can't Leave
Jun 19, 2023
St. Paul, MN
I think the only two that make the, "Never again" list for me are War Horse Bar and War Horse Green. There's some odd ingredient in both that gives them a flavor note that reminds me incredibly strongly of mothballs, and makes me feel a little queasy every time I taste it. I think it might be the heliotrope, but I'm not quite sure.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
A few blends have truly offended my sensibilities such that I treated them like disgraced Russian politicians (I.e., out the window). In no particular order:

Mixture 79
DTM Blue Note
Mississippi Mud
Borkum Riff Whiskey
CB Cherry
feel free to gift me any excess Mixture 79 as it's one of my regular loved smokes. Never had the rest except CB Cherry and I just never got along with that brand.

khiddy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2024
South Bend, Indiana
blog.hallenius.org
feel free to gift me any excess Mixture 79 as it's one of my regular loved smokes. Never had the rest except CB Cherry and I just never got along with that brand.
Yeah, count me in on the pro-Mixture 79 crowd. I love anise-flavored things, I even import an Italian toothpaste that is anise flavored. It’s a fantastic post-smoke brush, leaves my mouth slightly sweet and happy.

Bassman65

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2022
Canada
Yeah, count me in on the pro-Mixture 79 crowd. I love anise-flavored things, I even import an Italian toothpaste that is anise flavored. It’s a fantastic post-smoke brush, leaves my mouth slightly sweet and happy.
Feel free to list any anise flavoured tobaccos. I need to know what to avoid like a vampire to garlic! I just can’t do it. Even the slightest hint gets me running in the opposite direction.

khiddy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2024
South Bend, Indiana
blog.hallenius.org
Feel free to list any anise flavoured tobaccos. I need to know what to avoid like a vampire to garlic! I just can’t do it. Even the slightest hint gets me running in the opposite direction.
Bengal Slices Black
Gawith Hoggarth Brown Flake Aromatic
Gawith Hoggarth Dark Flake Aromatic
H&H Fusilier's Ration
H&H Fusilier's Ration Special Reserve
Sutliff Match Flying Dutchman
Sutliff Mixture 79
Sutliff Count Pulaski
Sir Walter Raleigh
War Horse Bar

Those are just the tobaccos in my cellar that list anise/licorice as a topping, I'm certain there are many more that others can weigh in on.

Bassman65

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2022
Canada
Bengal Slices Black
H&H Fusilier's Ration
Sutliff Mixture 79
Sutliff Count Pulaski
Sir Walter Raleigh
War Horse Bar

Those are just the tobaccos in my cellar that list anise/licorice as a topping, I'm certain there are many more that others can weigh in on.
Thanks! So many good ones I’ve heard about. Too bad my taste buds just won’t budge.

gord

Can't Leave
Bengal Slices Black
H&H Fusilier's Ration
Sutliff Mixture 79
Sutliff Count Pulaski
Sir Walter Raleigh
War Horse Bar

Man, am I grateful for this. I love anise flavouring, and always have, even in my pre-pipe days and youth. I was wondering why I liked Sir Walter Raleigh tobacco better than any other "Plain Tobacco" I've ever tried in my life! And used it as the base for my own Basic English Blend! Salut!

MisterBadger

Might Stick Around
Oct 6, 2024
Ludlow, UK
Peterson's De Luxe (formerly Dunhill) Navy Rolls:

Smoked a 5 gram sample in two pipes, first, in an unmarked small estate Meerschaum prince, then in a new Peterson Irish Army Rhodesian 999. Smooth, Perique uppermost and peppery rather than spicy. I can handle that, but there was nothing much noticeable underneath. Some nicotine hit, not much aftertaste. Meh.
The first half of the second pipe was like smoking hot air, the Virginia too mild to be noticeable. Wasn't sure I wanted to finish the last of the sample, so added it to a fill of Peterson's Irish Cask, which proved a stupid thing to do - a bit like adding some water to your favourite beer.
I can't see how anyone could like this: it needs a delicate palate (which I don't have) to appreciate the Virginias, but a hardened one not to recoil from the overpowering Perique. For me, I like Perique when there's something else there that can harmonize with it - and there wasn't.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
I know that it's beloved by many here, but I simply could not stand Five Brothers Pipe Tobacco! I purchased one pouch in Pennsylvania many years ago (at which time I believe that it was called Five Brothers Smoking Mixture!), smoked an eighth of a bowl, dumped it in utter disgust, and then threw the remainder of the pouch in a nearby trash can. To my palate it tasted (and smelled) like a cheap cigarette and it burned like a wild-fire.

Like Poe's Raven, I'll say "Nevermore"!

Last edited: