PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

gord

Starting to Get Obsessed
Good morning Pipers. In my pipe smoking history I have tried many tobacco. I don't much care for a few of these tobaccos but I find some pleasure in most blends that I try.
I am always fascinated by the degree in which taste differ so here is the question.
Is there one tobacco that you have tried and absolutely detested?
Now I realize that everyone will have different answers and of course, there is no judgment in this question, just curiosity.
I will start… For me it was Five Brothers. When I smoked it by itself, I got a little sick from the nicotine hit and felt like I was smoking dry grass. I vowed to never smoke it again. With that being said, I do like to mix it with weaker mixtures to give it a little punch.
What is your "never again" tobacco?
Hmmmm . . . don't believe there is such a thing. 🤣 Like women, they all have their places. Except in professional orchestras where they cause nothing but trouble.

hoipolloiglasgow

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2023
United States
SPC Plumpudding Flake for me. English blends are known to be velvety smooth with a broad spectrum of flavors. This one is harsh and doesn’t have much going on. Not sure what the big deal is about it. The Pease stuff blows it out of the water IMHO as well as many others. Because of this, I have no interests in any of the Plumpudding series.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
Worst for me was something that tasted and smelled of Vicks rub. I've blocked the name. It wasn't one mentioned earlier this morning. This was 20+ years ago. I was assured it would grow on me so dedicated a nice little Dunhill to it, which I could not purge later using all the alcohol and salt treatments, and have not smoked since.
I would guess this was Greenbriar, the menthol pipe tobacco.

Reactions: mpjetset

burleybreath

Lifer
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
Paladin Black Cherry from the 1970s was really gross. It literally smelled like urinal cake to me, or cheap car deodorizer. I can't believe they still make it that way, and I don't intend to find out. (The topping on Mixture 79 today, for example, has nowhere near the intensity that it had in the '70s.)

Strangely, I was in an airport lounge once years ago, and a guy smoking one of those bell-shaped Charatans was emitting an unusually appealing pipe scent. I asked him what it was, and he said it was Paladin cut 50/50 with PA. No, I didn't bother experimenting afterwards. The initial impression haunts me to this day, and I believe my cerebral cortex has been ghosted permanently with the crap.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
For me it’s easy: 1792 Flake.

I don’t doubt its quality, and I would never equate my subjective taste of something as anything approaching an objective truth, so more power to anyone who loves it.

That being said, this is the reaction I had while smoking that unholy concotion:

1719430440140.png

Honorable mention goes to Peter Stokkebye Highland Whiskey. I had a bowl from a sample I got at the Chicago show, and nearly threw my pipe across the smoking tent. #notforme

David D. Davidson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2023
Canada
Plenty of aromatics that I don’t particularly enjoy, but there’s only one I’ve ever thrown out - Autumn Evening. So sweet it gave me a toothache, and ghosted a cob so badly I pitched it after.

I imagine it would be a big hit with the average six year old with a sweet tooth though 😂

• Love
Reactions: gord and JOHN72

gord

Starting to Get Obsessed
Plenty of aromatics that I don’t particularly enjoy, but there’s only one I’ve ever thrown out - Autumn Evening. So sweet it gave me a toothache, and ghosted a cob so badly I pitched it after.

I imagine it would be a big hit with the average six year old with a sweet tooth though 😂
Or the average 73 year old with the same . . . . :ROFLMAO:

Ya piqued my interest lol. I've put it on my list of futures! Thanks.

• Haha
Reactions: David D. Davidson