PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I've tried to watch some of the current shows on TV and most of them just don't hold my interest. We still watch NCIS but its not as good without Mark Harmon. The recent iteration of Hawaii Five-O was okay but I think it was going off the rails towards the end. We do watch the new Magnum P.I. but its not as good as the Tom Selleck version.

For the past few years, we've been watching a lot of the BBC or Acorn imports. The problem with the BBC shows is their seasons were anywhere from 3 to 8 episodes with the exception of Midsommer Murders. We have been enjoying Vera, Foyle's War, and Death in Paradise (for the comedy).

It's a shame the U.S. studios don't make shows like BBC does.

I also watched Doctor Who up until the Doctor became an apparent female and the show decided to become "woke."

Reactions: scloyd and milk

milk

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
Being born in the late 70's and growing up in the 80's there were plenty of great sitcoms on TV as well as cartoons. Still the best cartoons, as the ones today don't even come close. Plus, we got re-runs of plenty of 70's classic shows. Over the years my favorites have changed but these three are my all-time favorites; Married With Children, The Simpsons, and That 70's Show. Cheers used to be in the Top 3, but That 70's Show bumped it.
I was born in 1968. It blows my mind that they were re-running shows from the 50s when I was a kid. Or even earlier than that: Our Gang. I showed some Our Gang to my kids yesterday. My oldest is just 5 but he liked it. That stuff was on every day after school.

Reactions: Deano

spike

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2009
I’m old.

three comedies:

Beverly Hillbillies
Andy Griffith
Leave It To Beaver

Back when tv had real comedies.

Honorable mention: All In The Family

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I'm with you on Warehouse 13. I also liked Eureka but thought the last two season when they went back in time and changed the timeline was terrible.
In the case of the timeline change I think they were responding to their audience, which wanted Jack Carter and Allison Blake to hook up. The last episode was a rewrite that was made necessary by the late decision to canel the show. It summed up a distilled version of what the final season would have been.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
As others have said the list of candidates is endless and my top three will change literally every time I think about it. Still, here are a few:

Nero Wolfe (Timothy Hutton’s version)

Guardian: The Lonely and Great God (K Drama)

Sports Night (sitcomish)