PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Zeno Marx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2022
Mad Men, GOT, and True Blood were my 3 favorites (if I can only chose 3), but once I watch a series, I rarely rewatch them. But, these three… I may rewatch.
That's one of my metrics to whether a show is just very good vs being truly great. If on the 10th watch I'm still finding new things to think about, if I'm fully engaged after several watches, then I know it is more than fleeting entertainment. As an example, Breaking Bad was fleeting entertainment. I watched it from the first second it aired. I watched every episode. I watched the aftershows. I took part in conversations. But then as I watched it a second time, I was generally bored, and I found myself fast-forwarding through a lot of the scenes. I think it is a very good show, but it is not a truly great or classic show (for me). I think it fell apart with repeated viewings. I could still appreciate the acting and some of the situations, but the writing was far, FAR less impressive the second and third time. Yes, I even tried a third time. I think I've watched Mad Men seven times? And the story still holds me. I'm there for every moment. I've watched Downton Abbey and NYPD Blue maybe 15 times (the entire series, from beginning to end), and I'm still there for every word. As my high school English teacher often said: you haven't read it once until you've read it twice.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (Alec Guinness).
Das Boot (German sub drama).
Porterhouse Blue (David Jason).

Doesn't seem fair just to name 3, loads more 'favourites' just as good.

Jan 27, 2020
Has anyone watched the Granata production The Jewel in the Crown? I think I must of caught an episode here or there as a kid via masterpiece theater. Anyways, it is listed in the top 10 of the BFI 100 best British tv shows ever and I gave it a whirl late this afternoon. Great mix of history, social commentary, soap opera-ish-ness and escapism but I have yet to get to the more unfortunate depictions of British colonialism etc

Zeno Marx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2022
I just checked True Detective season 1. I was wrong about the episode where I felt it fell off the rails. It only had 8 episodes. I think it was episode 6 where most of the setting was the biker bar. Whatever episode that was, was when they dropped off. It shows you how difficult it is to end a story. You can throw all kinds of great ideas into a story, but then when you try to resolve, conclude, or tie them up, that's when the actual work starts. Most fail at it, as this one did for me.

Reactions: JOHN72 and RonB