PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
3 off the beaten track:

Hotel del Luna, a Korean production on Netflix, a rom-com involving a woman punished to purgatory on earth
Kingdom, Korean, also on Netflix, a Zombie flick set in medieval Korea
Rome, on HBO, about the rise and fall of Julius Ceasar

All are superb. These are my most not-too recent top 3 and I'm a bit bummed that I've not found better.

Last edited:
Reactions: bullet08 and jguss
Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Being born in the late 70's and growing up in the 80's there were plenty of great sitcoms on TV as well as cartoons. Still the best cartoons, as the ones today don't even come close. Plus, we got re-runs of plenty of 70's classic shows. Over the years my favorites have changed but these three are my all-time favorites; Married With Children, The Simpsons, and That 70's Show. Cheers used to be in the Top 3, but That 70's Show bumped it.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I don't watch tv anymore, really. Reaching back, my favorites:

Mystery Science Theater 3000 (still trying to decide Joel vs. Mike for myself. The new guy, Jonah, is a shlub and not funny in the slightest)

Doctor Who (first 5 doctors from the original series - don't care for the zippy modern Doctor Who swill they've been churning out lately. Where are the story arcs!? Why does everyone talk so damned fast?)

Twilight Zone (saw an interview with Rod Serling from right before the show premiered where he promised the show wouldn't be moralizing in the slightest. I guess he said that to get the funding, and then promptly dropped morals and mores all over the stories.)

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
I don't watch tv anymore, really. Reaching back, my favorites:

Mystery Science Theater 3000 (still trying to decide Joel vs. Mike for myself. The new guy, Jonah, is a shlub and not funny in the slightest)

Doctor Who (first 5 doctors from the original series - don't care for the zippy modern Doctor Who swill they've been churning out lately. Where are the story arcs!? Why does everyone talk so damned fast?)

Twilight Zone (saw an interview with Rod Serling from right before the show premiered where he promised the show wouldn't be moralizing in the slightest. I guess he said that to get the funding, and then promptly dropped morals and mores all over the stories.)
That's crazy I'm scrolling and scrolling and here the latest comment finally

1.THE TWILIGHT ZONE
2.DR WHO ( Tom Baker > Peter Davison)
3.THE MUPPET SHOW

They don't make like they used to do they

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Red Fox was an amazing comic. I always recall his joke about how one of his parents was Black and the other was White. He said, "I didn't know who to hate." Sanford and Son has to be on my list somewhere.

Sanford's buddy Grady said he'd bought a peacoat. Sanford sniffed and said, "Did you know that when you bought it?"

And of course Sanford's clutching his chest, saying, "Helen, Helen, I'm coming," feigning a fatal heart attack.

Red Fox always did a lot of "blue," sexual material as a stand-up, but when he went to TV, he proved he didn't need that and could still be hilarious.