PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 23, 2019
Plum Pudding is a decent 'house blend' English with a slightly sweet topping - I particularly like the boozy variant. The regular Plum Pudding (and the Special Reserve) is a great starting point for new pipers to branch away from your OTC burley blends. But once you've developed your palette, most people drift to something more specific in taste.

Franco Pipenbeans

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
Title reworded. Hope I got it right. Original:

Does Anyone Doesn't Enjoy Plum Pudding?

Maybe this is a bad tin. I just don't care too much for Plum Pudding. Been keep going back to it once in awhile hoping for miracle, but it ain't happening. So what don't I like about PP? Mainly its tongue scorching Latakia. Not sure what's with Lat in this blend. It's so strong, my tongue gets numb after smoking it. Maybe reserve and other release under this blend will have a better luck with me.
I’ve only ever tried Germain’s Plum Cake…
748B3129-63CE-4AA1-B8A5-25DDB0784025.jpeg
And it’s an…?…interesting blend.

I’ve never tried the Seattle Pipe Club offering so I couldn’t say about that. People do seem to like it cellaring it up though so it must be good to some?

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Somewhere right now, in an exotic and dangerous land, a simple peasant farmer is curing his tobacco leaves from the rafters of his hovel. The acrid smoke from his wife’s cooking fires penetrates the leaf, and bye and bye a foreign buyer will come to pay him for his crop, amid the cacophony of the marketplace and babble of many strange tongues.

Excepting perhaps only Arcadian Perique, genuine Latakia is the most exotic, mysterious, and prized tobacco for pipe smoking.

And it smells like Lucky Seven catfish bait.

I’ve loved the aroma of catfish bait since I was a kid, but many people don’t, especially the ladies.

I love Plum Pudding, but outdoors, and among the company of hairy legged boys that don’t object to it, you know?

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
The rival to Latakia in the fanciful marketing of the tobacco companies, is Perique grown in the Arcadian region of Louisiana. Amid the swamps and alligators and fighting chickens, the decedents of Evangeline hand press tobacco in wooden casks using a technique old at the time of the Arcadian Diaspora.

Men from the large tobacco companies will come driving big luxury sedans to seek the privilege of buying the prized, sour smelling leaf, produced nowhere else on the earth.

And when the money from the Yankees comes in, the local folks hold a dance, in celebration.

It might not be exactly true, but it’s close enough to sell tobacco.

• Love
Reactions: SBC

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Men from the large tobacco companies will come driving big luxury sedans to seek the privilege of buying the prized, sour smelling leaf, produced nowhere else on the earth.
I married into the Frabbiele family with my first wife in St. James Parish. Other than shipping trucks occasionally, there wasn't a whole lot of activity there.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I married into the Frabbiele family with my first wife in St. James Parish. Other than shipping trucks occasionally, there wasn't a whole lot of activity there.
You shouldn’t let the cold hard facts ruin a perfectly good legend.

About 25 years ago I had a case at 9 am in Weston Missouri.

I forget now the particulars, but I freed another drunk driver from the consequences of his conduct, and bade him go, and sin no more (but if he did, to call me).

I knew that Weston was famous for three things, then.

At the time, Weston made Austin and Halleck muzzleloaders, the Lee Star Grade of muzzle loading rifles.

And, the McCormick distillery was, and still is at Weston.

Closed today, but then Weston had the only tobacco auction barn west of the Mississippi River.

My first stop about noon was at the Austin and Halleck factory. I was expecting something bigger, maybe with smokestacks. It was a small metal barn like building.

A bored receptionist was glad to have a visitor. She yelled for the two employees to give me the tour.

Two guys came to the front, and said it was almost lunchtime, but they’d show me the factory floor, it wouldn’t take long.

In the factory area, there were two piles of boxes, either side of a table. The employees took an Italian made barrel and screwed it on a Missouri made Fajen stock, then put it in a box with American flags and sat it on the other side.

Dissappointed, I went to the tobacco auction barn. This looked as it should, old and dingy and huge. But it was nearly vacant. There was a little hand lettered sign that read

Platte County Burley price: $1.65 per pound

The man said they only had one auction a year, and otherwise they’d buy leaf at the posted price. He said it went east to be made into lower priced cigars like King Edward, and the like.

Then I toured the McCormick distillery. It was grand to behold, There were old stone buildings, big barrel houses, and we saw a huge copper still the guide said that was used till only recently.

About that time a tanker truck with Illinois distilled pure ethanol arrived, and replenished the tanks where they filled barrels that came in from Lebanon Missouri.

Since then I understand new distillery owners have restarted distilling at Weston.

But 25 years ago Weston made guns, booze, and tobacco.

It was better knowing they did, than seeing how they did it.

Peter Turbo

Lifer
Oct 18, 2021
CT, USA
r/pipetobacco loves plum pudding

I do not, easily one of the most over hyped blends recommended/available. I have a few grams left in my jar and never buying it again.

Not really an SPC fan, Joe Lankford seems overhyped/past his prime. Hogshead was a huge let down.

Status
Not open for further replies.