PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swiss Army Knife

Can't Leave
Jul 12, 2021
North Carolina
Caveat: I'm a straight Virginia fan first and foremost. I usually don't like Latakia blends unless it's pretty condimental (Presby, Sillem's Black etc.)

I finally grabbed a tin of regular Plum Pudding when I got a few tins of Hogshead and had the time to try it the other day. Out of the tin PP smells like what I imagine Merde de Cheval to smell like. As in, and pardon my lack of french, it smells like barn animal manure roasting over an open fire. This wasn't necessarily a bad thing.

I smoked it in a short little clay and personally this was nothing but Latakia beating me over the head the entire time. I ended up dumping the last quarter of the bowl.

I need to revisit it a few times but so far it's not for me.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Caveat: I'm a straight Virginia fan first and foremost. I usually don't like Latakia blends unless it's pretty condimental (Presby, Sillem's Black etc.)

I finally grabbed a tin of regular Plum Pudding when I got a few tins of Hogshead and had the time to try it the other day. Out of the tin PP smells like what I imagine Merde de Cheval to smell like. As in, and pardon my lack of french, it smells like barn animal manure roasting over an open fire. This wasn't necessarily a bad thing.

I smoked it in a short little clay and personally this was nothing but Latakia beating me over the head the entire time. I ended up dumping the last quarter of the bowl.

I need to revisit it a few times but so far it's not for me.
I haven't smelled plum pudding yet, but you're likely correct on the smell of Merde de Cheval. It's one that I have had, and actually do enjoy. Yeah, I'm on that side of the fence...

avail

Can't Leave
Oct 13, 2015
Michigan
That's very interesting. My experience is the opposite, I find PP a welcome change from others because I perceive less Latakia. ?
I’m starting to think that the perception of Latakia is a mysterious thing, waxing and waning as it pleases, and often with no discernible reason. Or maybe I'm just all mixed up. ?
For sure, and that may hold true for many ingredients and blends...mystery indeed.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Edited

Plum Pudding saved my Brother's Life.

True story.

As I've written, my brother was in a motorcycle accident that broke more bones than Old Evel broke in his life time. A year's worth of surgeries after being run over and dragged underneath a Honda Civic for over 100 feet and deposited on a curb, he is back to work and playing the piano. It wasn't just his bone, but most of his internal organs were either moved, relocated, or stitched up as well. But... the point to this story is that he lost his sense of taste.

An avid smoker, there were only two tobaccos he could smoke afterward with even the smallest sense of taste. Straight Latakia and .... Plum Pudding.

Smoking his pipe eased his mind, allowed him to focus on visualizing himself recovered, and kept him from committing suicide... something he strongly considered as a realistic option to deal with the pain and the lack of being a human being in the traditional sense.

He remained steadfast and resolved in his recovery. All of his nerves that had been shattered healed over time and slowly, very slowly, his ability to taste returned over time. When I spoke with him, he was always thankful to have Plum Pudding nearby to smoke. Yeh, the straight latakia destroyed most of his pipes with ghosting, but he didn't care. The memory of our ride up Highway 1 last summer and smoking Plum Pudding along the coast gave him the belief that he could recover.

And so he has. Today, he is back on his BMW R18 riding the byways and spending his evening on his back deck smoking Plum Pudding and happy to have recovered enough to return to work and live once again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.