Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Had a couple of ham bones in the freezer that I’ve been meaning to deal with. Made split pea and ham soup and the wife made homemade bread for dipping.
Interesting (and I dig hanging on to ham bones for soup). Out of curiosity, what's on the menu for Easter?

I ask because I typically make a spiral ham and eat sandwiches, scalloped potatoes, macaroni and cheese, and ham salad for a week and then bean soup once the ham bone is virtually clean.

Of course, it means I'm sick of ham for about 6 months (when I pull the second ham I bought at Easter out of the freezer).

Dec 11, 2021
Fort Collins, CO
Interesting (and I dig hanging on to ham bones for soup). Out of curiosity, what's on the menu for Easter?

I ask because I typically make a spiral ham and eat sandwiches, scalloped potatoes, macaroni and cheese, and ham salad for a week and then bean soup once the ham bone is virtually clean.

Of course, it means I'm sick of ham for about 6 months (when I pull the second ham I bought at Easter out of the freezer).
Traveling for Easter, but I believe ham is being served! I buy hams fresh and cure them myself. Got three or four fresh hams in the freezer right now. So about a year’s worth!

alsatmem

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2019
Tonight was shrimp fried rice. Looking forward to tomorrow night though, grilled ham and swiss on rye!
My wife makes a menu for the week and does the shopping. I come home from work and make the meal and do dishes.
Varies the proteins through the week to keep me and the doctor happy!

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Saturday,
Simmered a whole chicken nice and slow,
Cut up the sausage
Made the Roux (Northern Louisiana golden roux made with butter, not oil, cause that's the way we do)
Prepped and added the Holy Trinity to the cooked roux... stir around till veggies get tender.
Add to chicken stock from cooking the chicken
Add sausage
Simmered for 20 hours
Sunday,
Added chicken one hour before serving
Served with Basmati Rice
French bread and butter
Gumbo file' and hot sauce ... yummy all day!

IMG_0396.jpg

IMG_0397.jpg

IMG_0398.jpg

IMG_0399.jpg

IMG_0402.jpg

IMG_0406.jpg

IMG_0407.jpg

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Saturday,
Cut up the sausage
Made the Roux (Northern Louisiana golden roux made with butter, not oil, cause that's the way we do)
Prepped and added the Holy Trinity to the cooked roux... stir around till veggies get tender.
Add sausage
Simmered for 20 hours
Sunday,
Served with Basmati Rice
French bread and butter

View attachment 215224

View attachment 215225

View attachment 215226

View attachment 215227

View attachment 215228

View attachment 215229

View attachment 215230
Nice, nice, nice.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Traveling for Easter, but I believe ham is being served! I buy hams fresh and cure them myself. Got three or four fresh hams in the freezer right now. So about a year’s worth!
We had store-bought ham tonight which I only like about once a year due to the fact I have a low taste tolerance for salt and typically ham tastes too salty to me.

Reactions: bullet08

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
Saturday,
Cut up the sausage
Add sausage
Simmered for 20 hours
Sunday,
Served with Basmati Rice
French bread and butter

View attachment 215224

View attachment 215225

View attachment 215226

View attachment 215227

View attachment 215228

View attachment 215229

View attachment 215230
This looks fantastic!