Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Interesting (and I dig hanging on to ham bones for soup). Out of curiosity, what's on the menu for Easter?

I ask because I typically make a spiral ham and eat sandwiches, scalloped potatoes, macaroni and cheese, and ham salad for a week and then bean soup once the ham bone is virtually clean.

Of course, it means I'm sick of ham for about 6 months (when I pull the second ham I bought at Easter out of the freezer).
As stated above, I had spiral glazed ham Easter weekend. Then made croissant sandwiches with horsey sauce and pub mustard. BTW Arby's horsey sauce is now sold in stores at a decent price. I also have some ham salad ready for lunches.

Yesterday was a chicken cordon blue pasta with chunks of ham in a garlic alfredo sauce. Tonight, it's pepperoni and ham pizzadillas (tortilla stuffed with pizza sauce, toppings, and cheese).

On deck is a ham and smoked sausage jambalaya, then polishing off the ham with a garlicky ham and northern bean soup (with fresh diced onion on top).

This should sate my ham hunger until late-summer, when I thaw the second ham from Easter and begin the ham cycle again.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Saturday,
Simmered a whole chicken nice and slow,
Cut up the sausage
Made the Roux (Northern Louisiana golden roux made with butter, not oil, cause that's the way we do)
Prepped and added the Holy Trinity to the cooked roux... stir around till veggies get tender.
Add to chicken stock from cooking the chicken
Add sausage
Simmered for 20 hours
Sunday,
Added chicken one hour before serving
Served with Basmati Rice
French bread and butter
Gumbo file' and hot sauce ... yummy all day!

View attachment 215224

View attachment 215225

View attachment 215226

View attachment 215227

View attachment 215228

View attachment 215229

View attachment 215230
Roux is the secret to good gumbo and étouffée. I go for dark roux for gumbo and more blonde roux for étouffée. With gumbo, I use too much butter for prepping okra to use it in roux, but for étouffée, usually half butter and half oil.

Gotta sweat them holy trinity!

Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC
If I lived nextdoor to some of y'all, we'd all be 450 lbs :)
My neighbor and I often have cooking "competitions" (cul-de-sac get togethers). He has working in the restaurant biz his whole life and I am a wanna be with ADHD so I went WAAAY down that rabbit hole!

Was several years, all I watched was Food Network back when they actually did cooking and not competitions - fraking reality TV crap.

:)

F

fMf Piper

If I lived nextdoor to some of y'all, we'd all be 450 lbs :)
My neighbor and I often have cooking "competitions" (cul-de-sac get togethers). He has working in the restaurant biz his whole life and I am a wanna be with ADHD so I went WAAAY down that rabbit hole!

Was several years, all I watched was Food Network back when they actually did cooking and not competitions - fraking reality TV crap.

:)
Sounds like good times. I used to watch Food Network back then too, now it's all crap.

Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Busted out the tagine for the evening’s meal. Details/photos to follow.

Quick sear on the seasoned (cumin, cinnamon, coriander, paprika, turmeric, salt, & pepper) Chuck roast in olive oil:

3A0D05FC-FCA2-466D-9B0B-85CB3A1C06C2.jpeg

Add the onions:

D18FEF33-198D-4C35-B903-DC1089CF1F03.jpeg

In with the garlic and ginger:

9D1152F5-7137-4BAF-9E7C-BB3BF019B359.jpeg

Add tomato paste, fire roasted tomatoes, and beef stock:

D5CEF2CE-8CCE-421C-A5D0-637019989343.jpeg

Now we go low and slow for the next 2 hours and then start adding a few more things.

6B5FFE08-AC37-4931-A553-FDC191BA4628.jpeg