PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
I wear hats all the time, but as soon as I see other people wearing the same hats, I put those in the closet. I don't want to ever look like I am copying someone. puffy
Why do so many pipers wear cabbie/flat/irish caps? I say bring back the Tam O'Shanter style... wore them all the time when I had dreads(without the pompom ball, though)! Maybe berets and fezes too...

Reactions: cosmicfolklore
Why do so many pipers wear cabbie/flat/irish caps?
Choosing to smoke a pipe, is not something that is usually done by someone who is afraid to be or look different from the rest of the crowd. In fact, if someone is all about being like the majority, they would never chose to be seen with a pipe. In college, I hit thrift stores to choose vintage clothes, hats, whatever was unlike what the "popular" kids were doing. Then as an adult, my tastes remained different from the rest. It is just a part of pipe culture. Sure, sure, we have many polo shirt wearing guys with khakis and baseball caps, that have chosen pipes for various reasons, but for the most part, if you aren't afraid to be seen with a pipe, you are probably not afraid to wear a vintage hat. And, I have to wear a hat anyways, because if not, the bald spot on my head will burn in record time.

litup

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
A guy can see plenty of plaid and leather kilts at the Chicago pipe show too. I'm all for being proud of one's heritage but wearing kilts just because seems like a uniquely Scottish thing. None of my Greek friends show up at the pipe show wearing a toga nor do I see any German brethren wearing their lederhosen.

To answer the original question though, I'd like to see:
Outdoor campfires
Green lawns
Clean sidewalks

^All of these probably exist outside California.

nor do I see any German brethren wearing their lederhosen.
Come to Alabama during Oktoberfest. I have a Polish friend who is 6' 8" tall and 300 pounds of muscle who wears his lederhosen any chance he can get... and he is big enough that no one ever gives him grief for it. He is also a surgeon... brilliant guy.

Elric

Lifer
Sep 19, 2019
Liplapper Lane (Michigan)
tobaccocellar.com
I found a bar in Ann Arbor, MI called the Last Word. You had to take a few steps down from the sidewalk into it. Old, previous era decor and hipster drinks, but the thing I found most attractive was there was none of the typical bar decor (e.g. beer mirrors, neon, etc). Very old school. The best part to me - no televisions. That was a wonderful escape from the typical Sports Bar that replicates itself ad nauseum.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I found a bar in Ann Arbor, MI called the Last Word. You had to take a few steps down from the sidewalk into it. Old, previous era decor and hipster drinks, but the thing I found most attractive was there was none of the typical bar decor (e.g. beer mirrors, neon, etc). Very old school. The best part to me - no televisions. That was a wonderful escape from the typical Sports Bar that replicates itself ad nauseum.

This sounds wonderful.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Every restaurant, coffeeshop, or bar in this state has at least six TVs. It drives me nuts. The only day this would be imperative in Alabama is the Iron bowl, when you could walk down the street naked and NO ONE would notice because all eyes are a TV somewhere.
It drives me insane also. Mostly because I have ADD and can't NOT WATCH. It drives my wife insane too, since she attempts to engage in meaningful conversation. Hard as I try, my eyes just end up drifting to it. Even if it is some political pundit spewing out buckets of the incoherent factless opinionated gobbledy gook that every channel is trying to pass off as "news" these days, my eyes and ears just go there. And I am forced to see and hear it until my eyes and ears are bleeding in sisyphean horror as the sweet sweet relief of the check arrives.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
Choosing to smoke a pipe, is not something that is usually done by someone who is afraid to be or look different from the rest of the crowd. In fact, if someone is all about being like the majority, they would never chose to be seen with a pipe. In college, I hit thrift stores to choose vintage clothes, hats, whatever was unlike what the "popular" kids were doing. Then as an adult, my tastes remained different from the rest. It is just a part of pipe culture. Sure, sure, we have many polo shirt wearing guys with khakis and baseball caps, that have chosen pipes for various reasons, but for the most part, if you aren't afraid to be seen with a pipe, you are probably not afraid to wear a vintage hat. And, I have to wear a hat anyways, because if not, the bald spot on my head will burn in record time.
Feel that. I've always rocked my own style as well. I actually considered picking up a cabbie hat but I thought I'd look like a walking pipe smoking cliche... still might get one but I'd be the only guy at a pipe show wearing it backwards.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Gotta have your own style. As long as you believe you can pull it off, you can:

Borat-mankini_1007719c.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.