PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't expect them back ever, but I do miss manual typewriters, and especially the portable ones, which in addition to giving satisfying text also provided immense pleasure to me as instruments of percussion -- whap, whap,
whappety, whap. ding, boom. On behalf of the next generation, I miss the days when states considered supporting post secondary education as good investment and a boon to the future, so grads were ready for life and not buried in debt for the foreseeable future. I miss the days when childhood had large increments of independence to roam the countryside and/or towns with freedom and reasonable safety, and every activity in life wasn't organized and supervised by adults. My dad's dog could jump in the school house window and sleep at his feet under his desk, because Spot was well behaved. I was so lucky as to know all four of my grandparents personally because everyone hadn't scattered to the ends of the world. Growing up, I knew what my dad did for a living, accompanied him to work on the winter holidays, and I knew the story of my family history. Many children do not know what their parents do for a living and do not know from whence their family immigrated. I have a theory that people don't evolve upward in life, but only trade off one set of abilities and strengths for others as they go along, gaining some but losing others. I think perhaps nations and civilizations do likewise, and that progress is trading off one set of benefits for others, giving up many as we go. Human history is one long trek from Eden.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I don't expect them back ever, but I do miss manual typewriters, and especially the portable ones, which in addition to giving satisfying text also provided immense pleasure to me as instruments of percussion -- whap, whap,
whappety, whap. ding, boom.
Haha, you brought back memories of my Olivetti Lettera 22. Or was it 21? ?

Reactions: adui

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
Salmon.
To me salmon are one of the most valuable natural resources in existence. The rivers of the Pacific Northwest were once overflowing with them. They're still around but only in miserably pathetic numbers compared to the past. I believe that their abundance (or lack thereof) is a key indicator of the general health of the ecosystem and it doesn't look good. Too many people, too much urban sprawl, too much habitat degradation, to many kids growing up with Nature Deficit Disorder. The human race is screwed. It's depressing. Thank gawd nature bats last.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
big fan of the porkpie myself... like Sean Connerys hat at the golf course in Goldfinger, classic

Yes sir. Pork Pie hats are my favorite style. I do wished these types of hats would make a comeback instead of guys wearing ball caps. I have several flat caps, stingy brims and fedoras and maybe 2 "ball caps", that I wear to work on rainy days.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Salmon.
To me salmon are one of the most valuable natural resources in existence. The rivers of the Pacific Northwest were once overflowing with them. They're still around but only in miserably pathetic numbers compared to the past. I believe that their abundance (or lack thereof) is a key indicator of the general health of the ecosystem and it doesn't look good. Too many people, too much urban sprawl, too much habitat degradation, to many kids growing up with Nature Deficit Disorder. The human race is screwed. It's depressing. Thank gawd nature bats last.
Yep. We are very lucky to still have good returns here. That being said, King Salmon populations are beginning to have some seriously low numbers. And I can't help but think Sockeye will go the same route if Fish and Game continues to be too chicken to effectively manage the extremely generous harvest limits for sportfishermen, and especially personal use dipnetting. People are effectively allowed to harvest enough fish to eat it every day for year if they should choose to do so. It's absolutely insane. Not to mention the 600 million pounds of salmon commercially harvested in Alaska waters. Last I read something like 50% of the world's sockeye salmon harvest is from Bristol Bay, Alaska alone.

Combine that with changes in water temps and feeding grounds, and it's very hard to believe they will continue to be around for long.

Status
Not open for further replies.