PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I miss some toys that aren't electronic, like those little mechanical toy pinball machines with the metal balls that kept score by lining up the balls as they came through the holes on the playing field, then cleared with the push of a lever. They were easily as fun or more so than the big pinball machines and didn't suck up your quarters. They made nice noises and were extra durable for a kid. I also liked metal toy vehicles, which still enthrall me. I get tapped to shop for gifts for relatives who are small boys. Some part of my brain is stuck right there.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I'd like music to go back to the days before rap. I'd like the news to go back to being unbiased. I'd like our kids to go back to being kids. I'd like to go back to the time before the word "playdate" had meaning and they could just run wild in the the neighborhood. I'd like people to go back to understanding what their genitals mean in relation to gender. I know our fathers and grandfathers weren't perfect men but they rushed to face oppression, they didn't rush to safe spaces. I'd like our president to act presidential. I'd like our celebrities to behave with dignity - much, much, much less Miley Cyrus and Lizzo, more Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn

I miss RIchard Pryor in his prime. I miss the original VW Bug and Bus. I miss the game Tribes. I too miss sundresses and when women dressed more feminine. These days it seems they are either dressed like men or prostitutes. I'll echo Bob, JR and Olk's comments, I'd like to see common courtesy, common sense and Godliness to return, along with respect, kindness and thoughtfulness.

Last edited:

Akousticplyr

Lifer
Oct 12, 2019
Florida Panhandle
I don't expect them back ever, but I do miss manual typewriters, and especially the portable ones, which in addition to giving satisfying text also provided immense pleasure to me as instruments of percussion -- whap, whap,
whappety, whap. ding, boom. On behalf of the next generation, I miss the days when states considered supporting post secondary education as good investment and a boon to the future, so grads were ready for life and not buried in debt for the foreseeable future. I miss the days when childhood had large increments of independence to roam the countryside and/or towns with freedom and reasonable safety, and every activity in life wasn't organized and supervised by adults. My dad's dog could jump in the school house window and sleep at his feet under his desk, because Spot was well behaved. I was so lucky as to know all four of my grandparents personally because everyone hadn't scattered to the ends of the world. Growing up, I knew what my dad did for a living, accompanied him to work on the winter holidays, and I knew the story of my family history. Many children do not know what their parents do for a living and do not know from whence their family immigrated. I have a theory that people don't evolve upward in life, but only trade off one set of abilities and strengths for others as they go along, gaining some but losing others. I think perhaps nations and civilizations do likewise, and that progress is trading off one set of benefits for others, giving up many as we go. Human history is one long trek from Eden.

You can always get a computer Bluetooth keyboard like this:

7180txmU9HL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I'd like music to go back to the days before rap. I'd like the news to go back to being unbiased. I'd like our kids to go back to being kids. I'd like to go back to the time before the word "playdate" had meaning and they could just run wild in the the neighborhood. I'd like people to go back to understanding what their genitals mean in relation to gender. I know our fathers and grandfathers weren't perfect men but they rushed to face oppression, they didn't rush to safe spaces. I'd like our president to act presidential. I'd like our celebrities to behave with dignity - much, much, much less Miley Cyrus and Lizzo, more Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn

I miss RIchard Pryor in his prime. I miss the original VW Bug and Bus. I miss the game Tribes. I too miss sundresses and when women dressed more feminine. These days it seems they are either dressed like men or prostitutes. I'll echo Bob, JR and Olk's comments, I'd like to see common courtesy, common sense and Godliness to return, along with respect, kindness and thoughtfulness.
it is so obvious who is older than shit on this forum....................

• Haha
Reactions: Elric and JMcQ

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Yeah, and youth makes itself apparent as well rotf
just saying..
I don't think any of that shit has been around in my lifetime, and I'm 37.

things weren't unbiased at all... they just had a bias you preferred.

the world is changing and has changed my friend.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
just saying..
I don't think any of that shit has been around in my lifetime, and I'm 37.

things weren't unbiased at all... they just had a bias you preferred.

the world is changing and has changed my friend.

It was more unbiased. It was more about reporting the news, not making the news. You didn't see news shows that had heavy political leanings. Of course the world is changing, It's always changing. One day you'll be 20 to 30 years older and it will be driving you crazy that your kids listen to black midi or vaporware music instead of the old classics by Nipsy Hussle and Snoop Dogg and that they think it's normal to have both male and female genitals installed since everyone is everything. Nah, probably not, you'll just roll with the changes. Evolved and woke.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
trust me.. news was biased to white males.. you just didn't notice it.

the whole sexual identity thing.. I agree it's out of control. Doesn't affect me and if you or anyone wants to call themselves a woman, dog, or robot I don't care.

Reactions: whsergent and JMcQ
Status
Not open for further replies.