PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Most of my more eclectic hats are Stormy Kromer, Outback Trading Co, and Filson Tin Cloth. Along with the usual assortment of beaver fur trapper hats, wool beanies, etc. that are plum necessary. Particularly the bucket hat with built in mosquito net. Worth it's weight in gold during moose season, especially when you get one down.

They all have their various purposes though, not really a style choice as much as a necessity.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
On the hat topic, I am somewhat of a collector, or an accumulator of hats. In terms of appearance (mine) I like hats with brims all around. However, automobile headrests have pretty much jinxed broad brimmed hats for driving, unless you are oblivious to having your hat poke you every time you slightly move your head. So often I cave to the omnipresent ball cap configuration (feed cap, baseball cap, billed cap, whatever you call it), or the flat driving cap. I need some shade for my face, for dermatological reasons, and I also consider the brim to be a good alternate sun shade along with dark glasses and the car's own sun flap. When I can, I take along a broad brimmed hat and shift to that for walking about. Also, I'm stuck with old time hat etiquette. I think men should take off hats indoors, and God help us, when seated to eat at a restaurant, especially any with cloth tablecloths. I don't care how many generations Texan you are, or how hard it is to stow your hardhat. The old military rule was that you only saluted when covered (you were wearing a hat). All the presidents who have saluted the guards at their helicopters while wearing no hat only remind me what draft dodgers most of them were. Only some veterans even care about that, but unfortunately I do. Hail to the chief.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Gotta have your own style. As long as you believe you can pull it off, you can:

Borat-mankini_1007719c.jpg

Black Frigate crew member on shore leave.

Mr.Mike

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 11, 2019
Pennsylvania
I’d also like to see the practice of repairing damaged/faulty household items instead of dumping them and buying new replacements

It’s really not that long ago since a time when if your toaster, TV or refrigerator etc developed a fault you’d get it repaired because the people and the spares were there to do it, sadly not anymore
You should see my brothers toaster oven. It has a door latch screw into it to keep the door closed, the safety fuse had been rewired and bypassed, and the knob has been replaced by a jb welded quarter. We don't like throwing things away lok

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
You should see my brothers toaster oven. It has a door latch screw into it to keep the door closed, the safety fuse had been rewired and bypassed, and the knob has been replaced by a jb welded quarter. We don't like throwing things away lok

Sounds like our airplane. I usually have to tell people "Don't worry, all the important parts work."

Somehow they don't seem reassured.

Mr.Mike

Nov 11, 2019
Pennsylvania
I had one that I ran all over hell and back, just a great truck. Then one sad day, a sphincter in a Jaguar ran a red light while I was waiting in the intersection (yeah, stampeded through an occupied intersection against the light) and nailed me while doing about 50. Bent the frame, I was plucking glass shards out of my arm. The Jaguar had all but completely disintegrated in the crash and the responders had to cut the screaming driver out of it. Great truck that truck.

Other things I wish were back haven't ever much been the norm, like respect for diversity and meritocracy, keeping promises and keeping one's word. I don't so much wish they were back as I wish they're show up.
I have a 2004 frontier with 211k miles. I. Trying to get to 300k, god willing.

Reactions: cshubhra

Mr.Mike

Nov 11, 2019
Pennsylvania
Do
I wear hats all the time, but as soon as I see other people wearing the same hats, I put those in the closet. I don't want to ever look like I am copying someone. puffy
The roaring twenties. Let's make history repeat itself 100 years later.;)
Except for the depression, I could do without that part.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I would like to see a comeback of Cock Robin restaurants (may be an Illinois only chain). Last time I ate at a Cock Robin was at this one in Brookfield, Illinois around 2005. The burgers were made and wrapped in foil stacked on stainless steel racks like a drive-in movie. You walked in, grabbed a couple of burgers...no waiting. They also served square ice cream using a square ice cream scoop with a trigger.

Square ice cream scoop.

Great memories.

TinCup

Can't Leave
Nov 14, 2019
Indian Ocean
I don't expect them back ever, but I do miss manual typewriters, and especially the portable ones, which in addition to giving satisfying text also provided immense pleasure to me as instruments of percussion -- whap, whap,
whappety, whap. ding, boom. On behalf of the next generation, I miss the days when states considered supporting post secondary education as good investment and a boon to the future, so grads were ready for life and not buried in debt for the foreseeable future. I miss the days when childhood had large increments of independence to roam the countryside and/or towns with freedom and reasonable safety, and every activity in life wasn't organized and supervised by adults. My dad's dog could jump in the school house window and sleep at his feet under his desk, because Spot was well behaved. I was so lucky as to know all four of my grandparents personally because everyone hadn't scattered to the ends of the world. Growing up, I knew what my dad did for a living, accompanied him to work on the winter holidays, and I knew the story of my family history. Many children do not know what their parents do for a living and do not know from whence their family immigrated. I have a theory that people don't evolve upward in life, but only trade off one set of abilities and strengths for others as they go along, gaining some but losing others. I think perhaps nations and civilizations do likewise, and that progress is trading off one set of benefits for others, giving up many as we go. Human history is one long trek from Eden.

I wish paragraphs would make a comeback! ?

Sorry, no offense intended, just too good an opportunity to let pass ? ?

Status
Not open for further replies.