PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
That sounds great! I've never been to the Garden City Sturman's, but have been curious. I've been going to the downtown store, for cigars, since they opened in the mid 90s. My name is Todd by the way.
Todd,
I’ll PM you to coordinate a time to meet and have a smoke! The Garden City location is nice. Plenty of seating inside or out back in the heated tent. Looking forward to sharing some baccy and meeting you.
Ralph

tnfan

Lifer
Jan 9, 2012
Franklin, Tennessee
Solani Silver Flake in a Rad Davis Chubby Author.

IMG0221.jpeg

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
Spent the afternoon pruning back the hazelnut trees and started on the current bushes. Time for a relaxing smoke break. Grabbed the Royal Coachman, shape # 497 made in London England- Comoy?
Sitting in the Tool/Woodshop; Smoking ‘21 PS 400 LNF.
View attachment 287741
Have you tried making arrows from hazel? I’ve tried a few, you can straighten it while there’s still some sap left in the branches over a fire and the young ones grow pretty straight anyway, at least around here they do but they are fairly young trees. I’m probably telling you what you already know but I’d be interested to know if you’ve tried it. I believe they were commonly used by our ancient ancestors.

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
Have you tried making arrows from hazel? I’ve tried a few, you can straighten it while there’s still some sap left in the branches over a fire and the young ones grow pretty straight anyway, at least around here they do but they are fairly young trees. I’m probably telling you what you already know but I’d be interested to know if you’ve tried it. I believe they were commonly used by our ancient ancestors.
I’ve used red dogwood bush before. There were a lot of really nice straight suckers coming up from the base of the trees. As a pruned them, I saved about eight really nice straight sections of hazelnut. There was four that were really nice and long. I saved them for making some Atlatl “arrows”. I have plans to design an Atlatl handle this summer.😏

Status
Not open for further replies.