PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Heat & humidity eventually overwhelm both myself and many blends at this time of year. I definitely don't want to spend time shaving a plug, drying a Virginia, etc. When nothing tastes right, burns right, or provides pleasure, I either stop, or start again at my lowest rung on the leaf ladder.
For me, that's Carter Hall.
In a 317 for a short one with coffee this morning. And even then I had to relight several times.
What? Relight Carter Hall! Yeah, it's like that right now - and for the next several days at least.

1723821934726.png

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Photo on 8-16-24 at 10.52 AM.jpgMy own blend - a favorite of over forty years - Telescopes. Now smoking a Marxman "The Four Hundred" billiard with a 14K gold ring and a black saddle stem. The Four Hundred has its own unique Marxman rustication. This pipe has a 1 inch diameter bowl opening and that changes how the tobacco tastes. It is number 267 C. The C may stand for the third year of production of the Four Hundred or perhaps it is size - but as of yet, the letters on a Four Hundred don't seem to correspond to size. This is a smaller sized Four Hundred - although by any pipe comparison, it is a rather large pipe. I could have purchased the biggest Four Hundred that I ever came across - and I can now say I've seen quite a few - but I gifted that honor to @Briar Lee who was able to purchase it at an extreme margin price of under $100. I own a larger Four Hundred and was looking for one that could go into my rotation as pipe not so large that it would be so big as to put me off. Living so close to Palm Springs, my understanding is that this is an actual problem - however, this is something I wouldn't personally know or care to know. Not that there is anything wrong with that if that is your thing.