Welcome new members. Introduce yourselves.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dillydallydan

Lurker
Feb 26, 2010
Well guys,
Either this is my first post, or my third, with two previous ones "out there" somewhere... not the best website navigator. In fact, I have a reputation as being the "Evel Knieval" of software testing.
Anyway, I'm new to the website, but have been smoking pipes since 1970. I'm a third-generation pipe smoker, and after spending hours and hours looking through storage bins for my grandfathers pipe rack (and pipes), I decided to just buy another one. Problem is, I can't seem to find the "right" churchwarden to suite me. I'm looking for a bent Dublin or Dover/Geneva sorta shape, smooth bowl 1-1/2" by 3/4" with a stem making the overall length 10 inches or more. Seems simple enough... but.
I found a very interesting pipe on a Chinese website, and have posted a picture of it on my profile page as the "link' function won't work for me in these reply boxes...
If anyone can refer me to a US retailer that carries Churchwardens, I would love to hear about it.
Thanks very much. Nice to be here. Hope to participate more fully in the near future.
ddd

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Welcome Dilldallydan, Frank, and you too Lozark,

Look forward to all of your posts.
Dilly have you considered putting a long stem on a little/nose-warmer pipe?

I found it to be a much more economical solution to my churchwarden aspirations.

sapo59

Can't Leave
Dec 29, 2009
Welcome to all the new members, I hope you guys find this site informative, helpful, and enjoyable.

dillydallydan

Lurker
Feb 26, 2010
No pstlpkr, (postal packer?) I hadn't thought of that, although looking at the sites Phil suggested I see you can get long "churchwarden" stems separately. I'll have to give that a think. I do have a stubby prince bowled pipe but it is straight and I would rather have a bent bowl on the long stem. I could just get a long stem for my calabash I suppose but I'm looking for a smaller bowl and less weight at the end of that stem also. Half the fun is having all these choices to make. Thanks for the tip.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
No problem Dilly,

No, I've never gone postal, but I do "conceal carry" at all times.

I just took them to The Briary.

It's the best shop here in Birmingham.

I bought some small bowled pipes, different shapes and sent them off to be fitted with new long-as-possible stems.

$30 or $40 is a lot better than $200 - $600.

Here is a picture of my budget-wardens.
LongBoys.jpg

dillydallydan

Lurker
Feb 26, 2010
Hey packer... that is Exactly what I'm looking for. Amazing. Exactly. If you'll tell me how to get a photo into these little reply boxes, I'd like to show you a pipe and get your thoughts on it...

dillydallydan

Lurker
Feb 26, 2010
Good god man! I used to be a rocket scientist and this is hard!
I found this pipe on a Chinese website. They only take orders of 100 units, but the pipe shown (hopefully) here really strikes my fancy (although the long stem Dublin looking pipe you have is equally appealing). Any thoughts on a possible US retailer of this pipe?

jwp159

Can't Leave
Jan 1, 2010
I want to say welcome to all the new members. Work has kept me away alot for a few weeks and man things are really hoping around here, it will take a while to get caught up

buddhabear

Lurker
Feb 23, 2010
Hey guys (and gals) my name is Gary, but I'm better known cyberly as Buddha Bear! I am relatively new to pipe smoking and love it! I smoked cigs for many many many years, but as Florida doubled the tax on cigs, taking them from $25 a carton to over $50 I decided it was time to do something....and I'd always admired pipes and enjoyed the smell of the tobacco. I made the switch and am happy for it for sure :D I have 7 churhcwardens, but only 6 are good..one of them, my first one, is just not usable, though I'll never get rid of it..I've had it fixed once and that didn't work too well either..so display it is now! lol

brazz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 16, 2009
I just wanted to send my greetings to all the new members. Warning: this site is addicting.

dunendain

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 22, 2009
Welcome new members. This is the pipe smoking site that has gotten it right. All you need is the love of pipes, tobacco, smoking, and the freedom to do so. Speak your mind.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Welcome Gary/Buddahbear,
We are all glad that you have "seen the light". I used to smoke those "coughin' nails" as did many of we brothers in pipes. Revel in the inconvenience of a pipe.... and you'll be in the zone.

Welcome to our fraternity.

I look forward to your posts.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I noticed that there are half dozen new members since yesterday.

Outstanding!

Welcome one and all.

I look forward to your posts and pipe pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.