Welcome New Members. Introduce Yourself. (2)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

onizuka

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 28, 2010
Hey guys, I'm a newbie here - I used to smoke cigarettes often and the occasional cigar - but now I'm looking into pipes. I bought two, haven't smoked them yet, but I'll be visiting a local tobacco that seems to be highly recommended by Yelp.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Welcome, onizuka! Be sure to post up some pics of your pipes and tell us what blends you ended up buying!
-Jason

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
It's great to have so many new members!

Welcome one and all!

I look forward to your posts and pictures.
We're glad to have you in the fraternity... You too Red!

ltrav3nw00d

Lurker
Sep 29, 2010
Hello Guys and Gals, just looking into pipe smoking. I haven't attempted it

yet, but my jaw fell off looking at the price of pipes ! Yikes.. What

do you have to be ? Rockefeller ? ;-)

classicgeek

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 8, 2010
Nope.
Lots of Dr. Grabows and other lower-cost pipes out there. My first was $50 Canadian for a Brigham 1-dot. Welcome to the forum! Take your time and soak up all the good info here.
Simon

uapiper

Lurker
Sep 30, 2010
Hello All,
I started smoking pipes last year after finally making the move over from Cigars. Still keep up a full humidor but the allure of the pipe finally caught me. I currently have 7 pipes ranging from a classic Preben Holm era Ben Wade Freehand to a Peterson Killarney 80S, and typically smoke various GLP Blends that catch my fancy. Right now I am still in the phase of trying a bunch of different blends and haven't started to stockpile anything in particular. I am also fortunate in that my Fiance enjoys smoking both the cigars and pipes and as long as I include something for her in my PAD and TAD orders she doesn't get mad.
I look forward to spending time on this forum in addition to the many others I'm on and if any of you are in the West Georgia/Atlanta Area, I'd welcome the opportunity to spend some time with people who understand this disorder.
Adam

menckenite

Jun 21, 2010
Alabama
Welocme onizuka, What's in your avatar glass?
Welcome ltrav3nw00d, Don't let the price of pipes keep you from trying something that may become a life long enjoyment. I've never smoked a Dr. Grabow but they get one hell of a recommendation for first time pipe smokers.
Welcome Adam, How about you get your Fiance to join the forum. We're like a nice mellow quality tobacco: We don't bite.

classicgeek

Apr 8, 2010
I've got that exact pipe, except rusticated. Got it as an estate off of eBay. After cleaning, I noticed that the draw hole was not very well drilled, meaning that it was difficult to get a good draw on the pipe. So I took matters into my own hands and now this pipe is a really good smoker. I like the bent shape, and it's small and light so it's easy to clench while I'm working with my hands.
Simon

menckenite

Jun 21, 2010
Alabama
What is a 'Military Push Bit' ?
It's my understanding that it's use of metal to help reduce the risk of the pipe breakiing where the two pieces join. Something like that anyway.
That's looks like a great pipe Itrav. Let us know if you get it and how you like it.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Hey Menckenite,
It is my understanding that the military bit came about under the "necessity is a mother" category.

I have been told that this type of stem and shank were developed to facilitate the "hot" removal of the pipe stem under conditions experienced during WWI. I think Peterson (pretty sure) provided these type of pipes free as well as tobacco to the troops. These military bits could be repeatedly removed (while warm) and stuck in a pocket with out the stem becoming loose.

Status
Not open for further replies.