Welcome New Members. Introduce Yourself. (2)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

puffpuff

Lurker
Mar 19, 2010
Hi all!
I just realized tonight that I never posted an introduction here, so here it goes!
I smoked cigarettes for 19 years, but stopped in March of '09.

I originally quit cigarettes by using e-cigarettes, but soon changed to nasal snuff and snus. I was getting along fine, but still missed the occasional waft of tobacco smoke. For my 1 year cigarette quit anniversary, I bought myself a pipe.
Another reason I took up pipe smoking was to try out my home-grown tobacco, but found that pipe tobaccos are a pleasure all their own. I only smoke a couple times a week, because my vitamin N needs are being pleasantly met elsewhere. My pipe is a quiet moment I take for myself a couple times a week to evaluate where I'm at and where I'm going. As much as I love snuff, I just don't find it as pensive as pipe smoking.
I've found I like (folding) flakes best so far. I suspect once I learn to consistently pack other cuts, I'll like them, too! :) I've been enjoying Mac Baren Navy Flake, Erinmore flake , and GL Pease Union Square.
I've got 3 pipes now. I smoked a $30 czech basket pipe for the first 3 months, but my favorite smoke now is a Brebbia Black Rocciata 1/2 bent dublin. I've also got a wider bowl Bjarne I use for aromatics. All have been good smokers so far...
Your posts have helped me a lot as a new pipe smoker, both questions and answers! Thank you!

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Glad to have you with us. Can't wait to see your pipes and posts. A lot of us here are former cigarette smokers that made the switch to the "light side."

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Welcome PuffPuff,
I too was a user of coughin' nails.

I quit using them on Jan. 2 2008.

Although I probably had a leg up, in that my first smoke was a pipe.

I have always enjoyed them, and when the nicotine injection systems topped $3.50 a pack, up from a 35 cents when I started (on base) I decided to save some money.
I look forward to your posts and pictures, we are all proud of our pipes, Top Shelf or Dusty Shelf, it doesn't matter. They are all pipes and that makes them special.
Welcome to the fraternity!

huntermb

Lurker
Sep 22, 2010
HI,
I'm from Manitoba Canada and recently found this board.
After a long absence I have returned to the realm of pipesmoking. I smoked a pipe during the 90's then quit and have recently started again. I have smoked cigarettes in the past but those days are far behind me.
The one thing I did notice though was how much harder it was finding places that sell pipe tobacco here (very rural area) than what it was 10 years ago.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I'm with strongirish on this one... With my TAD purchases, I think I outspend all but the most hardcore cigarette smokers. The best part is, I don't smoke nearly as often as many other members here, but I buy quite a bit of tobacco.
-Jason

classicgeek

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 8, 2010
Welcome, huntermb!
There are a few Canadians on the board here; just off the top of my head: ohin3, peace and juozapas and myself of course. I think you're the first prairie boy! Compared to our American brethren we do have a tougher time getting our hands on tobacco and when we do it costs us dearly, but we soldier on.
Welcome to the forum. Lots of great folks around here. Look forward to your posts.
Simon

bostonbill

Lurker
Jul 26, 2010
Bahston
With my TAD purchases, I think I outspend all but the most hardcore cigarette smokers.
I'm with you guys. I don't smoke that often, but I just bought 9 different tins "for future consumption," and I already have like 10 open. I really do enjoy a variety when I smoke, so I usually start with a lighter tobacco and move into English or Balkan blends toward the end. I buy certain tobaccos because I KNOW I want to try them, and am afraid they won't be available in the future- I'm afraid to "miss out."
In any event... I know all about TADs and PADs...
Welcome to all the new members! I hope you post your hearts out!

huntermb

Lurker
Sep 22, 2010
I'll have to wrangle the camera back from the daughters and posts some pics. I don't really have anything special just number of pipes I've picked up over the years. I think that now that I have gotten back into pipe smoking I am going to lean towards acquiring some Petersons.
Hey Simon, yep right from the praires, and the only pipe smoker I know around here under the age of 60.

Brent

nativeson

Might Stick Around
Sep 24, 2010
Greetings Gentlemen, from sunny southwest Florida. A place where there is not one local pipe shop and which therefore may be justly considered to be somewhat beyond the boarders of the civilized world. So thank goodness for the internet and this tenuous connection to quality pipes, copious tobacco and intelligent discourse about them! Cheers to all!

colonelmcmuf

Might Stick Around
Sep 25, 2010
Hello, I'm a virtual newcomer, pardon the pun. I've been smoking for almost a year, and recently have been getting into the hobby beyond a weekend smoke. I've just recently acquired two Savinelli's with the Balsa-wood Filters, and I'll see about getting some images up shortly.

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Welcome aboard colonel. Glad to have you here. Can't wait to see the pipes. Step right in with your posts and questions, we are a friendly bunch here and would be more than happy to answer anything that comes to mind.

reddazes

Might Stick Around
Sep 26, 2010
Hello! I am Red, pleased to meet you. I am new... my beau let me try one of his pipes today...and I fell in love with it ((but more on that later))
I hail from the great northwest, aka the land of COLD, but it is Autumn here at the moment, so for another month or so we are graced with what is with out a doubt the most wonderful season to experience in Washington.
Not much else to say that you won't find out later I am sure ^_^
Pleased to meet you all! It's nice to be here!
~Red

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Welcome colonelmcmuf, reddaze, nativeson & huntermb to the forum!
Post some pics, we love pics....
-Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.