Welcome New Members. Introduce Yourself. (2)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I want to extend to Alireza a special welcome and thanks for accepting my friendship request.

Guys, he has the dubious distinction of being my 600th friend on Pipesmagazine.com.
We all look forward to your posts and pictures.

Welcome to this the friendliest forum on the web.

kopernicus

Lurker
Sep 11, 2010
Hello all,
Glad to join the community. I'm a professor for Penn State up here in Erie, PA. We have a dedicated undergraduate college that does a pretty good job of keeping class sizes low, research opportunities and the like.
I was trained in a lab where my advisor smoked a pipe. Never had anything more than his one pipe (probably dime-store bought) and his big tub of "Captain Black". I worked for him for almost 10 years. It was after a few years of cigars when out with my friends (during the cigar resurgence in the late 90s) that I realized, "why not a pipe"? As I was writing my thesis, I used to fire up a bowl or Aston or CAO and it became a relaxing, enjoyable endeavor. He retired and even after the smoking bans in the building, no one could bring themselves to make him stop in his own office. To this day he shows up (emeritus) to his old office with the pipe and tub of the Captain.
Now I enjoy my pipes (nothing extraordinary in artisanship or price) 3-4 times a week outside watching my kids play or sitting on the riding mower. My wife loves the aroma.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Hi, I'm daveinlax a Wisconsin pipe collector. I came to pipes from cigars about 25 some years ago. I am in my mid/late 40's and got into pipe boards and chats in the early 90's and I still read most of them daily.
The collection has gone through many phases over the years Dunhill Pat's, Danish/German, NAC's some Charatan and Barling. Right now I am concentrating on building my Castello shapes 15 and 30 and my pride and joy Epoca collection. Larger Dunhill in a variety of shapes and finishes Gr 6, oda and HTXL Collectors.
Light English blends are what I smoke, mostly bulk EMP and now AMP but I will go a bit heavier on occasion smoking Crown Achievement or PSBS.

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Welcome aboard guys. Can't wait to see many posts from both of you.Great story kopernicus, Hope to see some pics of your pipe collection.

bronxbriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 23, 2010
New York
Hi everyone!
I was so happy to win these 2 beauties on ebay!
critianogigante.jpg

castello4kgiant.jpg

bronxbriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 23, 2010
New York
In this pipe is Dunhill's My Mixture 965 and THAT is why I'm smiling!
dunhilltobac2.jpg

Trying to look cool with my Cristiani giant...
dougpipe2.jpg

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Welcome Daveinlax,

Those are beautiful Bronx,

And welcome to you Kopernicus, I believe you will enjoy being here more than the Penn State team enjoyed their stay down here yesterday.

That was a great story about one of those special people that we all admire and respect.
Now I enjoy my pipes (nothing extraordinary in artisanship or price) 3-4 times a week outside watching my kids play or sitting on the riding mower.

As for "artisanship or price", smoking one's pipe is inherently an extraordinary pleasure, price not withstanding. We all have pipes and enjoy them, be they a corn cob pipe or a beautiful work of sculpture made from the highest grad meerschaum, they are pipes and that makes them special.
Again welcome to the fraternity guys, we all look forward to your posts and pictures.

bronxbriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 23, 2010
New York
Where I get my pipe-smoking genes: My great-grandfather John Sokol. (died 1973). A Russian Orthodox Carpatho-Rusyn immigrant from the Austro-Hungarian Empire. I was fortunate to know him.
Pipe2.jpg

byzcath

Can't Leave
Aug 11, 2010
Hi, Bronx,

Being a Carpatho-Rusyn Catholic priest, I have to ask: what part of the country did your family settle in? We ended up in the Coal Region of NE PA.

boboakley

Lurker
Sep 12, 2010
Hello everyone.
I enjoy many different briar pipes and it is hard to name my favorites. Of the roughly 100 pipes, I have a number of Castellos, Winslows, Danish Ben Wades, Lee von Ercks, and Stanwells. I do have 2 meers.
My tobacco choices are pretty wide - VA, VaPer, and Latakias. I sometimes hit some burleys.
I also dabble in pipe making.

bronxbriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 23, 2010
New York
ByzCath: hello Father! My great-grandparents settled in southwestern PA in the Monongahela Valley...West Brownsville, PA right on the river. Nice to meet you here.

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Welcome boboakley hope to see some pics of those pipes. Jump right in with posts on the many threads that are here, or start some of your own.

pipetrucker

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
Greetings one and all.
I am a pipe smoking American trucker. I spend all of my time on the road hauling large trucks and machinery all over the country. That allows the opportunity to visit tobacconist shops all over, which I greatly enjoy.
I've been visiting the magazine site for quite a while but hadn't actually signed up until now.
My favorite pipes, at present, are Petersons although I own several Savinellis, Dr. Grabows, and a few others including several meerschaums.
My favorite tobaccos tend to be English blends although I do smoke a few others as well. My favorite OTC blends are Captain Black White and Carter Hall.
My overall favorite blend and the one I smoke most often is Uhle's Bishop's Move.

Status
Not open for further replies.