Titanic Tour Sub Missing. Remarks/Questions.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

milk

Lifer
Sep 21, 2022
Japan
As a submariner with nearly 28 years of service, I don't find the concept to be outlandish. However, the sea is a harsh mistress, caring only for one's competence as a mariner -- almost a perfect meritocracy. When things go wrong they usually do so quickly and irretrievably. To operate In such an environment the proper care, maintenance, and testing of safety systems has to be a prime concern. The redundancy of critical systems is important. Finally, adherence to established procedures even for the most mundane of activities must be a way of life. Even doing all of this bad things can and do happen. Falling short in any of these certainly ends in tragedy.
Do you have any particular book you’d recommend about the experience of being on a navy sub? …maybe a WW2 theme? Memoir?

Reactions: bullet08

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
But here, the deep water submersible market is so tiny, and the risks obviously so high, what would they rate it at?
Lloyd's is not an insurance company in the normal sense. To my somewhat limited knowledge, Lloyds itself does not insure anything, the member syndicates do. Various syndicates would assess the risk of an applicant, establish various conditions to be met and then set a price. Syndicates vote whether to accept a risk, each member pledging a certain amount of their own moneys to cover a loss by an insured. I stress, members risk their funds not a company Lloyds of London. The Lloyd's ship registry is a part of the Lloyd's operation.

A syndicate might insure only a "trip", other trips requiring another application. A trip to the Titanic might cost x dollars. A trip into the Marianas Trench another amount. Keep in mind I'm stating information as I've received from my source, my brother, only as I understood, misunderstood?, the info.

Last edited:

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
My wife and I were discussing the lost submersible and she views it as ultra rich people paying the price of their pleasures, sort of like all the dead rich people on Mt Everest.

Also she correctly points out that if five poor people are lost in a little boat it’s lucky to make a story beyond the local news.

What I see as the real story is not so much the lost submersible as the rescue response.

Every coast guard and navy ship and helicopter are already on the payroll.

Think of all the souls praying, searching, and hoping as the clock runs out.

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
Do you have any particular book you’d recommend about the experience of being on a navy sub? …maybe a WW2 theme? Memoir?

“The Boat” is a WW II film about submarine in the Battle of the Atlantic from 1981, very impressive.

“One of Petersen's goals was to guide the audience through "a journey to the edge of the mind" (the film's German tagline Eine Reise ans Ende des Verstandes), showing "what war is all about".”

Here you can find infos on the book:

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
The movie Das Boot I believe comes the closest to showing what it was like on a WW II Submarine. If you prefer a book I'd recommend Thunder Below by Eugene Fluckey. There aren't many books/movies that cover the modern submarine era due to classification issues.

Reactions: karam

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
My wife and I were discussing the lost submersible and she views it as ultra rich people paying the price of their pleasures, sort of like all the dead rich people on Mt Everest.

Also she correctly points out that if five poor people are lost in a little boat it’s lucky to make a story beyond the local news.

What I see as the real story is not so much the lost submersible as the rescue response.

Every coast guard and navy ship and helicopter are already on the payroll.

Think of all the souls praying, searching, and hoping as the clock runs out.
And who will end up paying for that.i guess if the trip was insured then the insurance should if not who.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
This morning the 96 hour oxygen supply for the missing explorers has passed without any trace of them being located.

While officially still a search and rescue operation soon it will become a recovery.

But the record will show all humanly possible efforts were made:

——

The U.S. Navy is sending its “flyaway deep ocean salvage system” in case the submersible is found and needs a lift out of the water. The Coast Guard said the equipment was scheduled to arrive in St. John’s, Canada, on Wednesday night.

Three vessels arrived Wednesday: Canadian Coast Guard boat John Cabot, which has sonar capabilities, as well as commercial vessels Skandi Vinland and the Atlantic Merlin.

Even more were en route as of Wednesday night, the Coast Guard said in a news release. They include:

Canadian CGS Ann Harvey
Canadian CGS Terry Fox
Motor Vessel Horizon Arctic (remote-operated vehicle)
French Research Vessel L’Atalante (remote-operated vehicle)
His Majesty’s Canadian Ship Glace Bay (mobile decompression chamber and medical personnel)
Air National Guard C-130
Remote-operated vehicle from Magellan, the company that mapped the Titanic wreck

The Polar Prince, the research vessel from which the Titan launched, has remained in the water for the duration of the search. The Deep Energy research vessel is also searching.

—-

The high spirts and expectations of the lost reminds us —

Et in Arcadia Ego

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I wouldn't even call it a submarine even though technically that's what it was, it seems closer to a "submersible" .. there was no radar / sonar, no nothing just a "controller" and a couple shitty store bought computer screens, a "bucket" for waste removal, no real seats, basically the inside was like an empty minivan in size and comparison.

When people go down they basically get lucky to find the actual titanic because there is no navigation equipment.

The billionaire that was connected to the actual Titanic Society was obviously an idiot, you are worth billions and this is how people viewed (including you) the wreckage you wouldn't spend some of your billions to make an actual submarine???

I stick by my statement if these people were so stupid to go down in this thing so be it.

That an the woke crew, how can you go wrong!

images.jpegUnknown.jpegtitanic-1-1-1024x538.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: olkofri and Zero
Status
Not open for further replies.