Titanic Tour Sub Missing. Remarks/Questions.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
That sounds highly inadvisable. Just trying to illustrate that I think it's absurd to say that these people deserved what happened to them simply because they took a risk that they deemed to be acceptable, which unfortunately did not pay off.
I agree with that, but I wonder how much they were fully informed of the technical risks. I also don't share the schadenfreude that's been expressed in media because they were rich. I could think of far more beneficial ways to drop $250,000, but that's just me.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Why Rush is dead, is because he gambled on using innovative materials and methods to build a five person private revenue generating submersible.
And also because he ignored concerns about the viability of the approach that were voiced by one of his engineers, instead, firing him.

My father was an engineer who created, among many other things, the foil air bearing which revolutionized the use of turbines, and nothing was allowed that wasn't exhaustively tested.

Pop would fly gliders and shoot rapids, but he was thoroughly trained and careful in his pursuit of these and other pleasures. He took risks, but they were well calculated risks.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
And also because he ignored concerns about the viability of the approach that were voiced by one of his engineers, instead, firing him.

My father was an engineer who created, among many other things, the foil air bearing which revolutionized the use of turbines, and nothing was allowed that wasn't exhaustively tested.

Pop would fly gliders and shoot rapids, but he was thoroughly trained and careful in his pursuit of these and other pleasures. He took risks, but they were well calculated risks.
It wasn't just his fired engineer who expressed concerns...it was literally everyone in the submersible business telling him he was creating a death trap and pleading with him not to send Titan so deep.

Really cool about your dad, too!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Oceangate did a pretty good job of hiding the various lawsuits and stuff, but one father/son duo backed out for safety concerns after doing some research. Rush tried to convince them it was safe...they would've been on the trip which was Titan's last...
Rush was clearly a fanatical true believer, with a fanatic's obsession with evangelizing that he's right, from ignoring and silencing opposition, to making himself the singular exception to any rules, to aggressively seeking to convert potential followers. He lacked the authority of a Church or State, but the mindset is the same.

Meanwhile, OceanGate is attempting to make all of this somehow normal so that they can continue to operate and make money. And let's not forget, "innovate". OceanGate need to be shut down.

Otherwise, this will signal to others that they can "take shortcuts" with impunity.

I've had a couple of near death experiences thanks to another's taking undisclosed "shortcuts" so I'm decided on this point.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I saw an estimate of ~2240° F for a brief instant inside the sub when it imploded.

It's the same "holy shit!" sort of thing that's responsible for why a meteorite or spacecraft gets hot when entering the Earth's atmosphere. It's not friction from contact, it's radiant heat from compression. The air can't get out of the way fast enough to avoid being compressed into a blob of glowing plasma that cooks the object toaster-oven style.

The air, she gets irritable when squished.

Reactions: Jaylotw and Zero

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
It's the same "holy shit!" sort of thing that's responsible for why a meteorite or spacecraft gets hot when entering the Earth's atmosphere. It's not friction from contact, it's radiant heat from compression. The air can't get out of the way fast enough to avoid being compressed into a blob of glowing plasma that cooks the object toaster-oven style.

The air, she gets irritable when squished.
Oh yeah. 14psi to about 5000psi in a millisecond or so? Lotta heat. I've heard ranges from 2200° to "as hot as the surface of the sun," and there's probably someone very good at math who could do math things and find a reasonably close number for the Titan situation but...man, I'm having trouble wrapping my head around it all.

Reactions: Briar Lee

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Meanwhile, OceanGate is attempting to make all of this somehow normal so that they can continue to operate and make money. And let's not forget, "innovate". OceanGate need to be shut down.
Great fodder for satire:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Great fodder for satire:

My pitch black sense of humor enjoyed that.🖤

Reactions: brian64

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Terrible! Terrible! And they all signed waivers knowing the risks and the knowledge that there would be no backup sub or ROV. I wouldn't have crawled into that shoddy piece of shit knowing it's history.
now comes the part where the families and the company get to find out how not binding waivers are or are not. Should be interesting.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
I don't really read much of the news except for my local paper but this story seems to have really taken off. Despite my obstinate determination to live in a bubble I've heard of this story from multiple sources. It's unfortunate that those people lost their lives.

Reactions: anotherbob

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Built to spec. Not built, not tested, not certified for it’s intended use.

Studying this a bit, it becomes obvious why there wasn’t any certification.

The entire number of deep sea submersibles is less than ten, and all the others are made of titanium.

Alvin is typical. It weighs 17 tons and has two inch walls on the pressure hull.

Titan was the only deep submersible that used carbon fiber, five inches for the pressure hull walls.

Sixty years of experience has taught exactly how many dives a titanium hull stands before it needs rebuilt. Alvin has been rebuilt maybe ten times, so far.

With carbon fiber, they’ve learned however many dives Titan made was too many.

It’s going to be a long time before another carbon fiber pressure hull is built.

Reactions: woodsroad

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The carbon fiber hull, not necessarily this one, could have been tested robotically to find out how many dives at what depths it could withstand.

The Titan debris was found by a remotely controlled vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.