Titanic Tour Sub Missing. Remarks/Questions.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
From what I can gather the Titan had made at least fifty successful dives and half of those were revenue generating.

Risky, of course, but not recklessly so.

—-
Mike Reiss, a writer and producer for "The Simpsons," took the same voyage to the Titanic with OceanGate Expeditions last year.

"I took four different dives with the company, one to the Titanic and three off of New York City, and communication was lost, at least briefly, every single time," Reiss told CNN on Tuesday. "It just seems baked into the system. I don't blame the submarine as much as I blame deep water, but you would always lose it and come back."
—-

Another article detailed how there were four redundant methods for the submersible to come back up in the event of an emergency.

The first was the pilot dropping the weights. This was done every time the craft dived.

The last was an automatic timer that released the weights after 24 hours.

Communication was lost at great depths, at least two miles below the ocean surface.

If the craft had surfaced, and the automatic release would have surely dropped the weights sometime Monday, the anti submarine forces of the USA and Canada would nearly certainly have located it already.

The vessel must have either imploded (unlikely given the design safety margins) or some other catastrophe happened two miles deep.

They are gone, by now.

But they were adventurers, not idiots.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Maybe these adventure tourism companies should be required to have an age limit on passengers. People are said to have full judgmental and analytical faculties by the age of 25 years old. People under that age take enough chances that they probably don't need to take on these. People shouldn't be doing this with the encouragement and say-so of a risk loving parent. Also, people should have a taste of life before they risk theirs.

Reactions: anotherbob

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Maybe these adventure tourism companies should be required to have an age limit on passengers. People are said to have full judgmental and analytical faculties by the age of 25 years old. People under that age take enough chances that they probably don't need to take on these. People shouldn't be doing this with the encouragement and say-so of a risk loving parent. Also, people should have a taste of life before they risk theirs.

I could not agree more, but I’d raise the age to 50 for deep ocean dives.

310 souls have been lost attempting to climb Mt Everest. More surely will be. 17 have died in 2023.

Let’s not forget you can pay to travel to outer space now.

How’s that going to end up, eventually?

Reactions: jpberg and mingc

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
From what I can gather the Titan had made at least fifty successful dives and half of those were revenue generating.

Risky, of course, but not recklessly so.

—-
Mike Reiss, a writer and producer for "The Simpsons," took the same voyage to the Titanic with OceanGate Expeditions last year.

"I took four different dives with the company, one to the Titanic and three off of New York City, and communication was lost, at least briefly, every single time," Reiss told CNN on Tuesday. "It just seems baked into the system. I don't blame the submarine as much as I blame deep water, but you would always lose it and come back."
—-

Another article detailed how there were four redundant methods for the submersible to come back up in the event of an emergency.

The first was the pilot dropping the weights. This was done every time the craft dived.

The last was an automatic timer that released the weights after 24 hours.

Communication was lost at great depths, at least two miles below the ocean surface.

If the craft had surfaced, and the automatic release would have surely dropped the weights sometime Monday, the anti submarine forces of the USA and Canada would nearly certainly have located it already.

The vessel must have either imploded (unlikely given the design safety margins) or some other catastrophe happened two miles deep.

They are gone, by now.

But they were adventurers, not idiots.
The situation regarding the Titan's capabilities isn't straightforward. OceanGate's chief engineer wrote a negative report citing several concerns, among them the 1' in diameter viewing window that was rated to a depth of 1300 meters, not nearly enough. OceanGate's response was to fire him for the less than glowing report, and they are suing each other.
Expect the story to continue for a while. It may prove that the passengers were a mix of adventurers and idiots.

WerewolfOfLondon

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 8, 2023
London
Looks like they've found debris from the striken vessel. That would be the bes scenario, it would suggest a quick death as opposed to the far more horrific situation of basically being buried alive and choking to death.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
An even worse first date movie might be Lifetime’s I Was Lorena Bobbitt.
One of my oh man I am old moments was talking to John Wayne Bobbit on the phone at work and having half the people there go who??? Weird fact we share a birthday.
Trust me original The Exorcist was a far worse choice. ;)
Incorrect. It's a perfect choice. Helps separate the wheat from the chaff.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I wouldn't even call it a submarine even though technically that's what it was, it seems closer to a "submersible" .. there was no radar / sonar, no nothing just a "controller" and a couple shitty store bought computer screens, a "bucket" for waste removal, no real seats, basically the inside was like an empty minivan in size and comparison.

When people go down they basically get lucky to find the actual titanic because there is no navigation equipment.

The billionaire that was connected to the actual Titanic Society was obviously an idiot, you are worth billions and this is how people viewed (including you) the wreckage you wouldn't spend some of your billions to make an actual submarine???

I stick by my statement if these people were so stupid to go down in this thing so be it.

That an the woke crew, how can you go wrong!

View attachment 228918View attachment 228919View attachment 228920
I wouldn't go to the bottom of a swimming pool in that thing.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Das Boot is a brilliant film, rather dark, cynical, exciting, stressful and thoughtful, and one of very few films which show "the other side" of WW2.
Another superb film showing "the other side" is Eastwood's Letters From Iwo Jima.

Reactions: karam

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Even if they found the submersible and could get it to the surface and get the hatch unbolted -- which must take about twenty minutes -- it doesn't sound like the air supply will last.

If they have found pieces that have been identified, the primary suspect in my mind is the pressure at depth. The vessel worked for a number of trips but may have been weakened by stress and finally broken up. Experimental.

If they're gone, I hope it was quick and merciful. I won't judge their motives or judgement. Stuff happens.

"Letters From Iwo Jima" is Eastwood's best, in my opinion, solidly based in history, totally grim but grounded. The protagonist is a baker by trade who survives the mayhem, by a hair.

Reactions: Kilgore Trout

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
UPDATE
10:18 AM PT -- A friend of two of the men missing was just on Sky News and claims the debris found was a "landing frame and a rear cover from the submersible."

Hey i have an idea, let's start an underwater exploration company that goes down and looks at the wreckage of the wreckage of that POS they went down in! I figure we can get an old VW Bug and just weld is airtight and like some kind of rubber gasket around the door, pretty sure we can pick up the parts we need at Home Depot!

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
A debris field means a catastrophic and instant implosion, the occupants were hardly aware of.

Could a real engineer help me out, because wouldn’t there have to be air inside the craft for it to violently implode, as opposed to a slow leak?

Status
Not open for further replies.