Titanic Tour Sub Missing. Remarks/Questions.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
Here’s what I think happened. They didn’t Titan the bolts enough.

Before someone gets all butthurt.

These were voluntary paying customers who knowingly met their match with Poseidon, not hostages.
As are most deaths from an accident. The only real difference here is the passengers were wealthy and the event made a public story it seems.

Every flight death, every auto death, every other marine death. It’s all technically voluntary.

Reactions: tbradsim1

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
As are most deaths from an accident. The only real difference here is the passengers were wealthy and the event made a public story it seems.

Every flight death, every auto death, every other marine death. It’s all technically voluntary.
Well, I doubt the fatal I worked a couple of weeks ago was voluntary. He was found in the trunk of a burned car with a hole in his skull.

But your point is taken.

Zero

Lifer
Apr 9, 2021
UPDATE
10:18 AM PT -- A friend of two of the men missing was just on Sky News and claims the debris found was a "landing frame and a rear cover from the submersible."

Hey i have an idea, let's start an underwater exploration company that goes down and looks at the wreckage of the wreckage of that POS they went down in! I figure we can get an old VW Bug and just weld is airtight and like some kind of rubber gasket around the door, pretty sure we can pick up the parts we need at Home Depot!
Don't forget the Flex Seal! Give it a few good coats of that. And if I catch wind of any engineer reports of viewing windows that could be compromised at or below 1300 meters, well.... you can count me out on joining you in your adventures. Screenshot_20230622-135637~2.png

• Haha
Reactions: mingc
Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
Well, I doubt the fatal I worked a couple of weeks ago was voluntary. He was found in the trunk of a burned car with a hole in his skull.

But your point is taken.
That would depend on the events prior to being put in the trunk or receiving said hole. Even that’s not a given it wasn’t a voluntary act prior that went an unexpected way. Everyone makes choices every day that don’t go as planned.

EchoPlex

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 9, 2023
Catastrophic implosion. Found the Titan. No chance of survivors. Can't imagine dying of implosion. Just not forming a picture in my head.

Instantaneous death. Waaaaay better to go out in a flash then a slow, dark, cold, confined suffocation. I'm sure the families are the tiniest bit relieved that it was swift and not full of suffering. RIP, crew, you are now forever a part of Titanic's lore and graveyard.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
A sudden implosion means failure of the pressure hull, which would have produced a loud sound that should have been audible to the Navy’s listening devices. They’ll go over their recordings and should supply the instant it happened.

And pieces of the wreckage will be analyzed as well.

The sounds of tapping on Tuesday were either wishful thinking or something else.

At least it was instantaneous.

Navy Chief

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 11, 2022
Catastrophic implosion. Found the Titan. No chance of survivors. Can't imagine dying of implosion. Just not forming a picture in my head.
Of the choices of how to die in a submersible, sudden catastrophic implosion is at the top of my list. You would never know what happened unless there were warning cracks that led to it. Even then the actual end would be instantaneous.

Reactions: Mortamyhr

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think it is possible the implosion happened around the time that communications ended. The debris field took time to float up the two miles from near the bottom. Most of the pieces of the craft will probably be dispersed by currents and never be found, I'd guess.

Reactions: Zero

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
To me the worse case scenario would be that thing popping to the surface, being found by a fishing trawler and then not having the correct wrench.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
The irony of ignoring safety...dying in an unsafe sub while attempting to visit a shipwreck which notoriously occured after ignoring ice warnings and had insufficient safety measures. Do we not learn?

This is the best case scenario though. Those folks were quite literally atomized before their brains could even send a signal that it was happening. Zero pain, just an instant lights out.

I feel poorly for the 19 year old kid. His sister has said that he didn't want to be there, was terrified, and was only there to please his father after someone else backed out and a seat opened.

The owner of the company is on record saying that the regulations regarding these subs are "stifling innovation" or some such. Regulations are written in blood. He tried to get away with it, and paid with his life and four others who trusted him. He was warned, repeatedly. I have little sympathy for him, but I do for the other four.

Status
Not open for further replies.