Titanic Tour Sub Missing. Remarks/Questions.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Navy Chief

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 11, 2022
At least the families know where their loved ones are buried at sea. Many loses at sea are indeterminate on location. Also, the area is already a memorial, and even visited, if only by the few. I'm trying to look at the less grim side of this, but I'm sure the families are grieving mightily. Condolences to them.

Perhaps some family members and friends will be able to visit the site on a surface ship and scatter flower petals and wreathes at the location, to honor their lost.

Perhaps this will serve as a warning to many and save some lives in that way.
You are right, at least they have closure. Lost at sea is an ending that has no closure, they know definitively that while they are gone they are not lost and they do not need to hold out for the slim chance that they will be found. Nothing about this is easy for them, but this is easier than waiting weeks and weeks while hoping.

I'm waiting to see if OceanGate steps forward and offers to take the families to the site for a memorial service. It feels like it would be the right thing to do if the families are interested.

Reactions: fireground_piper

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
You are right, at least they have closure. Lost at sea is an ending that has no closure, they know definitively that while they are gone they are not lost and they do not need to hold out for the slim chance that they will be found. Nothing about this is easy for them, but this is easier than waiting weeks and weeks while hoping.

I'm waiting to see if OceanGate steps forward and offers to take the families to the site for a memorial service. It feels like it would be the right thing to do if the families are interested.
Maybe that’s a sea kind of thing but IMO the last thing their surviving families may want is any memorial service in any way organized by OceanGate, let alone out on the ocean. The company was the dead CEO, I don’t think it survives or has any positive identity, if any.

Reactions: blackpowderpiper

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Based upon what I have read:
The wreck of the RMS Titanic is located approximately 12,500 feet below the sea surface.

The Titan submersible took approximately two hours to reach the wreck, thus, if my arithmetic is correct, it descended at a rate of approximately 103 feet per minute.

Communication was reported to have been lost at approximately one-hour and forty-five minutes into the descent.

Thus, (again, if my arithmetic is correct) the Titan should have been approximately 10,938 feet below the sea surface. According to the Hydrostatic Pressure Calculator on the omnicalculator.com Website, the atmospheric pressure at that depth would have been 4,757 pounds per square-inch.

To put this into prospective, today the atmospheric pressure at Halifax, Nova Scotia is 1011.58 millibars (or 14.67 PSI). So, in a matter of seconds, the passengers experienced an increase in atmospheric pressure of approximately that 324 times, a sobering thought.

Last edited:
Reactions: fireground_piper

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
The latest fun and games associated with this mess is the certainty that the MULP (Military Underwater Listener People) who keep track of submarines 24/7 for national security reasons the same way NORAD keeps track of planes & satellites, heard the implosion, reported it, and the connection to Titanic tourist dive was quickly established.

Meaning the days of "knocking noises", remaining oxygen countdown, and so forth was just theater.

Deliberate theater.

Who was/is directly responsible for orchestrating that? And why would they do such a thing?

I'm pretty sure the explanation is a word that starts with the letter "p", ends with "s", and has "olitic" in between.

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
The latest fun and games associated with this mess is the certainty that the MULP (Military Underwater Listener People) who keep track of submarines 24/7 for national security reasons the same way NORAD keeps track of planes & satellites, heard the implosion, reported it, and the connection to Titanic tourist dive was quickly established.

Meaning the days of "knocking noises", remaining oxygen countdown, and so forth was just theater.

Deliberate theater.

Who was/is directly responsible for orchestrating that? And why would they do such a thing?

I'm pretty sure the explanation is a word that starts with the letter "p", ends with "s", and has "olitic" in between.
Media companies farming clicks on sensationalized articles to generate ad revenue. Occam's Razor.

Reactions: anotherbob

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
Pretty sick to see people turning this into a narrative about class warfare. Needless deaths are always a tragedy. I feel sorry for the people on board, with maybe an exception for the CEO of the sub company who was known to cut corners on safety measures. It could be argued that this was an unintentional suicide on his part, and unfortunately he took four others with him. May they rest easy.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Pretty sick to see people turning this into a narrative about class warfare. Needless deaths are always a tragedy. I feel sorry for the people on board, with maybe an exception for the CEO of the sub company who was known to cut corners on safety measures. It could be argued that this was an unintentional suicide on his part, and unfortunately he took four others with him. May they rest easy.

The entire saga of the original Titanic was never nothing but, and remains, a class warfare morality Greek tragedy.

A few years later, the most horrific war in world history began over the assassination of a minor archduke.

20 million died in WW1 and 20 million more were maimed.

Then the worst pandemic in modern times, the Spanish Flu sickened a third of the entire population on earth, 500 million, and killed at least 50 million, half of those deaths being in their twenties.

James Cameron isn’t ever going to make a movie about The Great War or the Spanish Flu.:)

If the same people on the same mission were lost diving on the wreck of the sister ship Britannic would the world notice?

In a year there might be something mentioned on the news about this tragedy but likely not.

I’ve been watching these current events “News entertainment” stories since I was a child and this one, ranks up there with the 12 Thai kids trapped in a cave in 2018.

How soon, the world forgets, you know?

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Well the only reason this is still in the news is so something else isn't in the news.

My wife and I have a running joke about the death of a Pope being the ultimate newsgasim.

She just said, have you heard the news?

I said what news?

“Your billionaires are still dead, almost as dead as the last Pope.”

• Haha
Reactions: AJL67

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
And Alexander was still safer ….

View attachment 229209

In all my life, the scariest and yet most thrilling news story was the Cuban Missile Crisis of 1962.

If I didn’t have photos to prove I’d not believe myself how radiantly beautiful my Mama was in 1962 at age 36 and how in every photo Daddy just worships the air she breathes.

No Queen on a throne ever had more absolute authority inside her home, than my Mama. Daddy ruled the barns, fields and the church, but inside that home, he served her.

I was four and a half in October 1962, but Mama read the Springfield paper every day and listened to every news broadcast and I know exactly where I was when JFK made this speech.

My Daddy was of the opinion that if nuclear war came, we’d all die secure in Christ’s promise of a better world for those who serve the Master.

My Mama replied the hell we are going die without a fallout shelter in the basement. She looked at me and said:

You will get every chance to grow up to be a man someday, so help me God.”

Mama had fallout shelter plans and Daddy and some neighbors set one up in the basement.

I remember bare shelves at Overshiner’s Grocery store.

Then after our fallout shelter was finished our renters Chris and Evelyn Christian came to see it, and before they left Daddy was ordered to provide them with their fallout shelter, which he did in their cellar.

There might be yet, a few things left over in the cellar at my father’s home place, I’ve not checked in many years.

You hear people blame their troubles on a bad childhood.

I can’t do that, you know?

Reactions: Carol

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
In all my life, the scariest and yet most thrilling news story was the Cuban Missile Crisis of 1962.

If I didn’t have photos to prove I’d not believe myself how radiantly beautiful my Mama was in 1962 at age 36 and how in every photo Daddy just worships the air she breathes.

No Queen on a throne ever had more absolute authority inside her home, than my Mama. Daddy ruled the barns, fields and the church, but inside that home, he served her.

I was four and a half in October 1962, but Mama read the Springfield paper every day and listened to every news broadcast and I know exactly where I was when JFK made this speech.

My Daddy was of the opinion that if nuclear war came, we’d all die secure in Christ’s promise of a better world for those who serve the Master.

My Mama replied the hell we are going die without a fallout shelter in the basement. She looked at me and said:

You will get every chance to grow up to be a man someday, so help me God.”

Mama had fallout shelter plans and Daddy and some neighbors set one up in the basement.

I remember bare shelves at Overshiner’s Grocery store.

Then after our fallout shelter was finished our renters Chris and Evelyn Christian came to see it, and before they left Daddy was ordered to provide them with their fallout shelter, which he did in their cellar.

There might be yet, a few things left over in the cellar at my father’s home place, I’ve not checked in many years.

You hear people blame their troubles on a bad childhood.

I can’t do that, you know?
We lived in Satellite Beach FL during that, I wasn't born yet, but Patrick Air Force base is here, it's the communications base for the East Coast (Now Patrick Space Force Base) and next to Cape Canaveral and the Naval Base, so prime target. They had built Coast Guard towers up and down the beach as well as AA Guns and machine gun nests everywhere. From the stories i told it was a very scary time to live here because it was in everyone's faces every minute of every day.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
We all have to go at some point. So in a way it's hard to say if it was worth it. I can say it's better to die doing something that matters to you then dying of old age having been to afraid to do what you care about. In my opinion. Though I will say I don't mean to disparage the rich but I've noticed that if you want to ignore reality and live in a fantasy detached from the rest of humanity, then money makes that a heck of a lot easier to do. It's still a choice and many poor people find ways to do it too. Reality is one of those things that if ignored hard enough it will hit back much harder when it finally does. But at the end of the day no matter what unless someone is a real bastard needless early death is a sad and wasteful thing.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio

Deliberate theater.

No. The Navy reported hearing a sound consistent with an implosion to the Coast Guard on Sunday, immediately after the search began. This is a top secret system. The Navy couldn't say for sure that the sound was the imploding sub, and no vehicles capable of searching the sea floor were on site until yesterday. It was kept hush because of the uncertainty of the source of the sound. None of this was reported to the media for those very logical reasons.

The knocking sounds were just an anomaly, and were reported as such by a lot of media. The ocean is surprisingly noisey, especially with a dozen or so ships sailing in search patterns back and forth.

Imagine if they would've just assumed the sub imploded, only for years later someone to find it bobbing on the surface with five suffocated people inside? Without the resources to check the sea floor, all the searchers could do was deploy sonobouys and do a search of the surface.

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
We all have to go at some point. So in a way it's hard to say if it was worth it. I can say it's better to die doing something that matters to you then dying of old age having been to afraid to do what you care about. In my opinion. Though I will say I don't mean to disparage the rich but I've noticed that if you want to ignore reality and live in a fantasy detached from the rest of humanity, then money makes that a heck of a lot easier to do. It's still a choice and many poor people find ways to do it too. Reality is one of those things that if ignored hard enough it will hit back much harder when it finally does. But at the end of the day no matter what unless someone is a real bastard needless early death is a sad and wasteful thing.
Money can detach a person from reality and the suffering of others, for sure. I just find it a little disturbing how many people believe themselves to be the ultimate arbiters of who is deserving of death.
And I agree that it's better to go out doing something you love or having an adventure than to live to a ripe old age in safe mediocrity.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
We lived in Satellite Beach FL during that, I wasn't born yet, but Patrick Air Force base is here, it's the communications base for the East Coast (Now Patrick Space Force Base) and next to Cape Canaveral and the Naval Base, so prime target. They had built Coast Guard towers up and down the beach as well as AA Guns and machine gun nests everywhere. From the stories i told it was a very scary time to live here because it was in everyone's faces every minute of every day.

JFK delivered his address on Monday evening the 22nd and of course the next Wednesday evening we were all in the Humansville Christian Church.

Usually Wednesday evening was a slow night but on October 24, 1962 it was packed as Easter Sunday.

The old line Scottish tradition Campbellites never got the memo on “thoughts and prayers” or “God’s will be done”.:)

Central to their theology was man controls his own destiny, which is not preordained, and every soul faces a Last Judgement, after this life is over. Only the righteous, might enter heaven’s gate.

I forget the sermon, no doubt a typical stem winder, entertaining beyond description, but the elders had hired a crackerjack musical group to sing a special. Nothing but promise of heaven songs were sang that evening.

I remeber wondering if I’d turn five in heaven, if I got to heaven, which I guessed I surely would, not yet being of the age of accountability.

But the folks who don’t consider how absolutely essential it is for the commander in chief to be of strong and resolute character, I don’t think can remember October 1962.

My mother hated the Kennedy family,,,,

Except for that one week in 1962.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.