Titanic Tour Sub Missing. Remarks/Questions.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
The reason America is the shining city on the hill and the last great hope for mankind, is they’ll search for a piece of clothing or a ring or a dental filling or the slightest trace of those men.

We still identify the remains of our war dead from eighty years ago, when we can.

And 60% of the dead on 9/11 have been identified, so far.

We respect the dead.

There wasn’t much left of Knute Rockne, either, but America held him a big funeral.:)
Sure, they'll look. Maybe, maybe they'll find some fragment in the silt at nearly 13,000'...but it's highly unlikely unfortunately. That's just the way it is. I appreciate your optimism, though.

But...something like this is enough pressure to force your entire being through a hole the size of a pinhead, in an instant. Not trying to gross you out...just, wow. It's unimaginable and a heck of a way to go, but thankfully painless and over in 30 milliseconds.

Last edited:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
But...something like this is enough pressure to force your entire being through a hole the size of a pinhead, in an instant.
Brings a whole different dimension to the epithet, "spam in a can" don't it?

Essentially, the passengers were nothing more than guinea pigs, funding Rush's quest for "innovation".

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I see now the debris didn't float up to the surface but was discovered on the sea floor not far from the Titanic shipwreck about sixteen hundred feet from the bow.

And I made a few other bad guesses, but I did get it right that the implosion likely took place about the time communications were lost and was possibly due to a materials breakdown in the hull of the submersible.

I think they will now salvage the debris and try to deduce more fully how the implosion happened.

The nineteen year old passenger's mom (or other family member?), on a video interview, said the young guy was terrified of the trip but did it to bond with his dad, who was some kind of high flying billionaire and may not have seen too much of his son during his growing up.

Reactions: Jaylotw

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Brings a whole different dimension to the epithet, "spam in a can" don't it?

Essentially, the passengers were nothing more than guinea pigs, funding Rush's quest for "innovation".

Since my mother bought me a set of World Books in 1962 I've developed a habit of looking up things like this question of what happens to the bodies in a sunken submarine.

This is almost a dry research hole.

Occasionally sunken subs from WW1 and WW2 are found and there are, still bodies inside.

In the Great Lakes, there are still bodies inside sunken freighters over a century old.

This submersible suffered a sudden implosion. It's been reported it's in five pieces.

If the pressure hull snapped apart instead of shattering, the bodies might not have been crushed by the walls of the cylinder.

And since our bodies are about sixty per cent water, that won't compress at all from water pressure.

And maybe the most recent case relevant here is the 2000 Kursk submarine disaster, where a cascade of failures led to several torpedoes exploding inside of the sub, blowing off the bow.

Of the 118 that died, salvage operations recovered and identified remains of 115.

This question isn't as easy, as the television experts might think.

Reactions: sablebrush52

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
Since my mother bought me a set of World Books in 1962 I've developed a habit of looking up things like this question of what happens to the bodies in a sunken submarine.

Occasionally sunken subs from WW1 and WW2 are found and there are, still bodies inside.

In the Great Lakes, there are still bodies inside sunken freighters over a century old.

This submersible suffered a sudden implosion. It's been reported it's in five pieces.

If the pressure hull snapped apart instead of shattering, the bodies might not have been crushed by the walls of the cylinder.

And since our bodies are about sixty per cent water, that won't compress at all from water pressure.

And maybe the most recent case relevant here is the 2000 Kursk submarine disaster, where a cascade of failures led to several torpedoes exploding inside of the sub, blowing off the bow.

Of the 118 that died, salvage operations recovered and identified remains of 115.

That's an explosion, this was an implosion. The water pressure is so immense that it will ignite the air inside the sub. It happens in milliseconds, nearly 6000psi instantly crushing from all directions. Like I said, your optimism is inspiring but there's just not going to be anything left of those guys...

Look up "Old Whitey" on the wreck of the Kamloops in Lake Superior. Get ready for some nightmares!

gubbyduffer

Can't Leave
May 25, 2021
Peebles, Scottish Borders
The

government knew on Sunday. Everyone was notified on Thursday.

By that standard we have 5 days left.

😂😂😂
No they didn't.
I assume you are referring to the US Navy report stating that they picked up an acoustic 'anomoly' which they referred to the coast guard who will have used this information how they saw fit whilst conducting their search. It was only upon discovery of the wreckage that the navy could then say with a greater degree of confidence that what they picked up was consistent with an implosion.
I read that the systems the US Navy used have some degree of secrecy around them so I understand their caution. They would have looked foolish if they confidently stated what they picked up was an implosion, only for the search teams to discover an intact submersible.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
No they didn't.
I assume you are referring to the US Navy report stating that they picked up an acoustic 'anomoly' which they referred to the coast guard who will have used this information how they saw fit whilst conducting their search. It was only upon discovery of the wreckage that the navy could then say with a greater degree of confidence that what they picked up was consistent with an implosion.
I read that the systems the US Navy used have some degree of secrecy around them so I understand their caution. They would have looked foolish if they confidently stated what they picked up was an implosion, only for the search teams to discover an intact submersible.
Relax Clarence. I guess the laughing faces broke your woke.

You must be super fun at get togethers.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
If that were the case, there would be NO commercial diving of the Titanic.
☝️This, right here.☝️

The Titanic has been a cash grab since RMS Titanic Inc started recovering items from the wreck in 1993. There were expeditions in 93, 94, 96, 2000, & 2004 recovering some 5000 plus artifacts. Many of the items went on a for profit museum tour of the world generating millions of dollars. Then RMS Titanic Inc filed for bankruptcy and many of the items were sold off. Items' recovered from the wreck site have sold for millions. Bob Ballard fought to keep it protected but lost that battle.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Briar Lee, you may be more up on your physics than I am. My sense is that 400 pounds per square inch would compress and pretty much dismantle human remains, despite the water content. After all, the water at the Titanic's level is under far greater pressure than that in a living person.

One engineer type said that 400 pounds per square inch is like the weight of the Eiffel Tower. This is sort of the mega version of "acquamation," the current process to dissolve bodies (then grind up the bones] rather than burn them, as a more environmentally responsible way to handle remains.

Shipwrecks in the Great Lakes, like in Lake Superior, may preserve remains for prolonged periods from near-freezing cold but without the ultra-high pressure at ocean depths.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Shipwrecks in the Great Lakes, like in Lake Superior, may preserve remains for prolonged periods from near-freezing cold but without the ultra-high pressure at ocean depths.
The most notable is a preserved corps refered to as "Old Whitey" in the engine room of the SS Kamloops. It went down in lake Superior in 1929 and Old Whitey is still floating around the engine room today. He is often encountered by divers and has been fairly well documented.

Navy Chief

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 11, 2022

What happens to the bodies when a ship or submarine is sunk is vastly different than what happens to a body when a submarine implodes. When a submarine implodes the cracks that propagate through the hull do so at the speed of sound in whatever material the hull is comprised of and the interior the the sub is almost instantly exposed to the full water pressure at the depth the incident occurred at. Interesting quote I found "Stefan Williams, a professor of marine robotics at the University of Sydney told The Guardian: "If the pressure vessel has failed catastrophically, it's like a small bomb going off."

Reactions: mso489

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
At least the families know where their loved ones are buried at sea. Many loses at sea are indeterminate on location. Also, the area is already a memorial, and even visited, if only by the few. I'm trying to look at the less grim side of this, but I'm sure the families are grieving mightily. Condolences to them.

Perhaps some family members and friends will be able to visit the site on a surface ship and scatter flower petals and wreathes at the location, to honor their lost.

Perhaps this will serve as a warning to many and save some lives in that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.