Titanic Tour Sub Missing. Remarks/Questions.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
No. The Navy reported hearing a sound consistent with an implosion to the Coast Guard on Sunday, immediately after the search began. This is a top secret system. The Navy couldn't say for sure that the sound was the imploding sub, and no vehicles capable of searching the sea floor were on site until yesterday. It was kept hush because of the uncertainty of the source of the sound. None of this was reported to the media for those very logical reasons.

The implosion sound corresponded with the vehicle's descent, the loss of communication, and the loss of navigation.

The odds of those four things happening at the same time and NOT mean the craft went kaput are PowerBall lottery-class.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I think about everyone agrees that Kennedy would be a Republican in this day and age.

Over the howling objection of his own party, not the least of which was Harry Truman, JFK made the one and the only tax cut that actually increased government revenue.

And there’s the Eich Bin Berliner speech, and “We choose to go to the moon and the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard.”

And when you read of the discussions among his cabinet and even his brother Bobby, if they’d had their way there would have been nuclear war, and all our invasion force would have been incinerated.

I’ve used JFK’s quote many times:

We can always blow up the world,,,,,tomorrow.

And of course we know that a series of waiting until tomorrow to end the world actually saved the world.

Yet the parties themselves have changed over sixty years, and so too has religion.

My father rejoiced he produced milk for children’s school lunches, and my mother believed in school choice, either send your kids to school or go to jail.

And although like all young Christian boys my parents never once paddled me (a custom dating back to Roman times) they surely would have if I’d chosen to refuse to be vaccinated.

The concept of ask not what your country can do for you, but rather what you can do for your country, is strangely liberal and woke today.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
The implosion sound corresponded with the vehicle's descent, the loss of communication, and the loss of navigation.

The odds of those four things happening at the same time and NOT mean the craft went kaput are PowerBall lottery-class.
I agree with you. But you can't go on odds in that situation. Until it could be proven undoubtedly that the sub imploded or was otherwise sitting on the ocean floor, a surface search was all that could be done, and what had to be done. They couldn't just assume the sub imploded because of a sound, and call off the search. Since an ROV capable of exploring that depth wasn't available until yesterday, all the searchers could do was search the surface in the hopes that something could be found.

It's telling that the ROV found the wreckage within just a few hours. Id wager that everyone involved in the search who knew the Navy's information were sure that the sub imploded, but as I've said, you cant just stop a search on an inconclusive sound, until you find conclusive evidence. You also can't just go out and say, "hey the navy's super secret listening stuff probably heard the thing implode, so we're just out here playing around, the people are probably dead."

As far as the knocking sounds being a "distress signal" or whatever from the sub...that was just people being hopeful, or morbid, depending on their outlook. The Canadians and USCG never said they thought they were distress signals, or anything even related to the sub.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri

And the adults in charge did the adult thing and didn’t leak that information to the press.

There was a major rescue effort underway, regardless.

The public at large had no need to know of the detection of an implosion until it was verified.

This allowed the maybe a dozen family members of the men who are really the only souls on earth truly grieving today hope right up to the deadline of their oxygen expiring.

And gave the rest of us a good drama to watch.:)

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I agree with you. But you can't go on odds in that situation. Until it could be proven undoubtedly that the sub imploded or was otherwise sitting on the ocean floor, a surface search was all that could be done, and what had to be done. They couldn't just assume the sub imploded because of a sound, and call off the search. Since an ROV capable of exploring that depth wasn't available until yesterday, all the searchers could do was search the surface in the hopes that something could be found.

It's telling that the ROV found the wreckage within just a few hours. Id wager that everyone involved in the search who knew the Navy's information were sure that the sub imploded, but as I've said, you cant just stop a search on an inconclusive sound, until you find conclusive evidence. You also can't just go out and say, "hey the navy's super secret listening stuff probably heard the thing implode, so we're just out here playing around, the people are probably dead."

As far as the knocking sounds being a "distress signal" or whatever from the sub...that was just people being hopeful, or morbid, depending on their outlook. The Canadians and USCG never said they thought they were distress signals, or anything even related to the sub.

It astounds me the information did not leak.

Whatever threats Admiral Mauger used were effective.:)

This is going to happen again someday, to some other deep sea exploration.

Admiral Mauger wrote the textbook on how to conduct a rescue operation.

Reactions: Jaylotw

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast

The needed to wait a few days before going to the press so it was the only thing you saw in the news. No point in playing your cards till you really have to.

Reactions: Briar Lee

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio

For sure. I'd bet a lot of the people involved who knew the intelligence were aware of the families of those involved, too, and what leaking that info would mean.

Reactions: Briar Lee

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
A post dated June 23, 2023 on Insider.com reported, in part, that:

OceanGate later rebuilt the vehicle in 2020, when the hull was found to be showing signs of "cyclic fatigue," meaning it would not be safe at 13,000 feet, GeekWire reported.

It's unclear if there were any changes to the hull design at that stage.

In a previous post to this thread I wrote:

Based upon what I have read:
The wreck of the RMS Titanic is located approximately 12,500 feet below the sea surface.

The Titan submersible typically took approximately two hours to reach the wreck, thus, if my arithmetic is correct, it descended at a rate of approximately 103 feet per minute.

Communication was reported to have been lost at approximately one-hour and forty-five minutes into the descent.

Thus, (again, if my arithmetic is correct) the Titan should have been approximately 10,938 feet below the sea surface. According to the Hydrostatic Pressure Calculator on the omnicalculator.com Website, the atmospheric pressure at that depth would have been 4,757 pounds per square-inch.

To put this into prospective, today the atmospheric pressure at Halifax, Nova Scotia is 1011.58 millibars (or 14.67 PSI). So, in a matter of seconds, the passengers experienced an increase in pressure of approximately 324 times, a sobering thought.

I wonder if the reported "cyclic fatigue" might have resulted in the implosion of the vessel at approximately 10,938 feet below the sea surface?

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio

I wonder if the reported "cyclic fatigue" might have resulted in the implosion of the vessel at approximately 10,938 feet below the sea surface?
Id have all my money on exactly that. Carbon fiber seems to be great at holding internal pressure, like a gas cylinder...but pretty bad at repeated external pressure, like Titan. Your math is lined up right with what I've heard from various sources.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
Seems like the only question we don't have a fairly sound idea about is if they knew, had some warning. There is a rumor that the weights were found jettisoned, as if they attempted to surface, but it's just a rumor at this point.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
Id have all my money on exactly that. Carbon fiber seems to be great at holding internal pressure, like a gas cylinder...but pretty bad at repeated external pressure, like Titan. Your math is lined up right with what I've heard from various sources.
Even gas cylinders have a hard 15 year life that I mentioned before. Many carbon fiber air bottles fill to 4500 psi, though there are some that go up to 5500. There are established codes for inspecting, maintaining and filling them on top of the hydro 5 year tests and 15 year shelf life.

Reactions: Jaylotw

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri

Cyclic fatigue is a factor in all existing submarines. Here’s a 2000 dated paper on it.

Fifty years ago Russia used titanium to build ultra deep diving submarines.

It was phenomenally expensive, and since NATO can torpedo a detected submarine at 3,000 feet nearly as easily as 1000 feet they stopped using titanium.

If money was no object every submersible would probably be made of titanium.

I understand that Titan was made from a titanium shell with carbon fiber spun around it.

Defects in the outer carbon fiber layer might be easily inspected.

But how to inspect the inner shell of titanium, which is notoriously brittle?

Also, the vessel was not stamped out like a unibody automobile. There were welds and a porthole and an escape hatch.

As the little boy said, something’s done gone wrong the wrong way already.

They’ll tell us why, eventually.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Seems like the only question we don't have a fairly sound idea about is if they knew, had some warning. There is a rumor that the weights were found jettisoned, as if they attempted to surface, but it's just a rumor at this point.

That is a point I’m wondering about.

The craft wasn’t designed to be destroyed, but there were four ways to jettison the weights.

The implosion could have jettisoned the weights.

But if they can determine the pressure hull failed after the weights dropped, the pilot knew things had gone very, very wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.