PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Random question. If someone was trying to retrain their approach to smoking to something like the breathe technique, would the suggestion of just getting used to clenching a pipe without tobacco (or unlit) in it help?
yeah it probably would. Also get one used to how minimally a pipe needs to be interacted with to smoke it well.

fjc623

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 24, 2014
New York
The way I see it all this pipe smoking technique makes no sense at all. No two person breath or smoke the same.
what should be stated is that pipe smoking takes time .
and for new smokers the message should be that they develop there own style and show patience .
As we all have been there.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
The way I see it all this pipe smoking technique makes no sense at all. No two person breath or smoke the same.
what should be stated is that pipe smoking takes time .
and for new smokers the message should be that they develop there own style and show patience .
As we all have been there.
it doesn't hurt to have things to try.

Lawyer66

Can't Leave
Nov 21, 2020
Grand Cayman
Interestingly, it was this very video that catalyzed my first recent pipe purchase. However, I have found my enjoyment of a bowl comes from paying close attention to my cadence and sipping the tobacco. I try to not make my bowl get too hot and taste the flavors. If I can achieve those things, I am usually pretty happy with my smoke.

Reactions: anotherbob

TimeKiller

Might Stick Around
Feb 2, 2021
Texas
Sooo ... are people really just going about with their pipe in their mouth the whole smoke through? Wouldn't you just end up unintentionally deep inhaling? Wouldn't it get, umm... what is the technical word for it... slobbery? ?

I guess all the talk about gurgling pipes, which I have yet to experience, makes alot more sense now hah!

Reactions: Servant King

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Sooo ... are people really just going about with their pipe in their mouth the whole smoke through? Wouldn't you just end up unintentionally deep inhaling? Wouldn't it get, umm... what is the technical word for it... slobbery? ?

I guess all the talk about gurgling pipes, which I have yet to experience, makes alot more sense now hah!
That's exactly what would happen in my case. I salivate way the hell too much to apply any tactic involving a clench for longer than 30 seconds, and that's a generous estimate at that! I have to take the pipe out, lest my stem turn into the Thames. Hmmm...that almost rhymes. Not intentional. Anyway, IMHO, sometimes gimmicks creep into pipe smoking, and I try to avoid these. The last thing I want is to feel like I'm re-learning golf and trying to keep several different things in mind. It can be maddening. I understand about establishing a cadence and all that but seriously...I just want to relax with a bowl and let all the extraneous bullshit just vanish from my thought stream.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
It's a mystery to me how centuries of millions of pipes smokers thoroughly enjoyed their pipes and tobaccos without "methods".
I totally understand this perspective, but at the same time, I wouldn’t be a pipe smoker without help from this forum seven years ago. I tried my hardest to smoke a pipe at first but I knew nothing about tamping and it just kept going out. Not to mention I was “smoking” Borkum Riff in a Medico Brylon.

After I learned about briar and all the varieties and qualities of tobacco, it was still two or three years before I understood that freight-train puffing and smoking wet tobacco didn’t work with my mouth.

Some of us need kindergarten guidance, as silly as that seems sometimes!

P.S. This leads me to again thank everybody who was here and is here now, because I can say with surety that I would never have been able to figure out pipe smoking without you guys! Thanks!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
After I learned about briar and all the varieties and qualities of tobacco
Wait until the a-ha moment when you realize nearly any tobacco can be successfully and equally enjoyed in any well drilled pipe.

Many of us started smoking a pipe with no other smokers around several years before the arrival of the internet. You would have found your way.?

Status
Not open for further replies.