PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Both Muttnchop and embers videos on breath smoking were a revelation for me when I first started out. Although it's important to note, that the breath method as described is really simply a foundation upon which to build your own style of cadence. It supplies you with fundamental concepts that can be applied in whatever order, frequency, or intensity feels right to you.

It is more about the concept, not counting your breaths and following a formula. That's a good place to start, but once it becomes second nature you'll find that your not really even paying attention, you just apply whatever particular breath in the breath method seems to be required at the moment.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I never understood the point of blowing hot moist air back thru the pipe, even if only a little.
You don't, you just keep an ebb and flow going in the shank to cool the smoke, you shouldn't even see any smoke rising from the chamber. Muttnchop looks like he's operating a bellows. I'm surprised he hasn't burned a hole in a pipe doing that. In the video I did, I really had to force the technique to illustrate how it works. Normally, if you didn't know I was smoking, you would assume I just had a pipe dangling from my mouth.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Not sure. Would that be like practice getting drunk with water?
Good call. But I was thinking more along the line of how uncomfortable it would be to breath through an empty pipe in your mouth and inevitably your body would just naturally switch to breathing through your nose.

I clench 90% of the time and smoke in a way that is similar to the breathe technique or whatever it’s called. All of the people who I have introduced to pipes are/have been cigarette smokers and appear to have a natural tendency to draw heavily as the pipe seems much bigger than a cigarette so in theory requires more work

just musing

Reactions: FLDRD and bullet08

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Random question. If someone was trying to retrain their approach to smoking to something like the breathe technique, would the suggestion of just getting used to clenching a pipe without tobacco (or unlit) in it help?
You don't have to clench to do it.

Reactions: anotherbob
Status
Not open for further replies.