PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I would heartily advise anyone who is new to adopt a method to regulate the breath to acquire smoking cadence, which as I see it is the backbone of effective pipe smoking, and without which you will more than probably hurt your mouth with too much hot air and be unable to taste blends in their entirety.

I never did this though I tried. Usually I would light a pipe, and within a minute or two my mouth would complain, and beaten into submission, I would slow down. Still, to give my mouth time to recover, I could smoke no more than at 6 hour intervals.

If your mouth has residual effects from smoking at whatever periodicity, you might consider slowing down by regulating your breathing with your draws.

I'm not familiar with this poster you mention, but I have posted this before...
I don't draw in consciously on the stem at all. Sure, I give it a few puffs to get it going, then I just let the pipe stay in my clench. As I breath through my nose, my gullet reflexively just slowly bellows the pipe slowly. I don't do anything. This is called breathsmoking. I never intentionally draw in any smoke, it just sort of works its way into my mouth and lingers till it cycles back out with more smoke. Slow slow slow. If you are one that has to pull the pipe out of your mouth to say words and communicate, you may find yourself relighting your pipe

Just relax, leave the pipe clenched, and forget about it. However, it's like learning to drive. At first you have to think, clutch, shift, gas, release... But, eventually you no longer have to think about the clutch, or shifting, you just drive and end up where you need to be.

However, chasingembers has some videos that are helpful.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
The problem with Muttonchop's video, to me, is that he's pushing smoke out through the pipe with far too much regularity. When I smoke, I guess you could call it breath smoking, but basically I'm just keeping the pipe in my mouth and breathing through my nose, while slowly pulling through the stem of the pipe. Every three or four breaths I will either push a tiny amount of smoke back out the pipe, or retrohale.

I don't know how you can push smoke out with every breath and not overheat.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Clenchers are shaking their heads thinkin ....“Waddayamean?”

When you clench, breathing thru the nose.. just happens.

Every once in a while, a clencher will puff, maybe chew the smoke and exhale. Guess where it comes out? The nose.

For me, taste results from retro. My sense of smell is greater than taste. If you ever watched John Matches860, not a clencher. He took puffs and kept his pipe in hand.

Those who can really “taste” their tobaccos, like John are blessed. And he just loved it. RIP John

Yeh, seems like I have heard about that pushing smoke out the chamber thing. The reason I don't make a video, is because it would be very boring, because really, there's nothing to see. The video would just be me with a pipe in my mouth. I don't seal my lips around the stem, so the smoke is really just wisps that probably wouldn't be picked up on video. And, for me, they key is just forgetting I have a pipe clenched at all. I just clench it, and breath as normal, and throughout, I can taste it, but it's not a conscious thing. Most of the time, I don't even realize that I have finished until I start to taste ash or just realize that I am no longer getting any smoke.

But, in the beginning, it's helpful to have a video like what Duane does. I think it helps guys get their head around the concept. But, as soon as you are really doing it, there shouldn't be anything to see. And, when you get into it, get your mind off it, and you are settling into a nirvana like state while doing something else, inevitably someone will come along and ask a question or say something that requires a response, and then you have to take your pipe out of your mouth. THAT is the thing that pisses me off most. I hate having someone want to converse when I am into my pipe like that.

It's a mystery to me how centuries of millions of pipes smokers thoroughly enjoyed their pipes and tobaccos without "methods".
I think it helps mouth breathers the most. But, you are right, there are no real methods. Only these guys didn't grow up around pipesmokers. So, they really never saw guys smoking. Cigarette smokers never have to discuss clenching a cigarette. But, it's sorta the same.
Giving it steps and calling it a method just helps guys get to that stage where they can stop thinking about all of this bullshit we tell them to do like stupid packing techniques, char lighting, and breathsmoking. Once you are a real smoker, you'll look back on packing and lighting and all of these methods and just laugh. Hell, I give very little thought to anything about pipesmoking any more. I just do it.

But, like beginning to drive, it helps some to learn the steps to shifting gears, but once you're really driving, you never even think about clutch, shift, gas, clutch." You just do it.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
I would heartily advise anyone who is new to adopt a method to regulate the breath to acquire smoking cadence, which as I see it is the backbone of effective pipe smoking, and without which you will more than probably hurt your mouth with too much hot air and be unable to taste blends in their entirety.

I never did this though I tried. Usually I would light a pipe, and within a minute or two my mouth would complain, and beaten into submission, I would slow down. Still, to give my mouth time to recover, I could smoke no more than at 6 hour intervals.

If your mouth has residual effects from smoking at whatever periodicity, you might consider slowing down by regulating your breathing with your draws.
Anapana breathing while pipe smoking. Goenka never mentioned that!

Status
Not open for further replies.