PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Good call. But I was thinking more along the line of how uncomfortable it would be to breath through an empty pipe in your mouth and inevitably your body would just naturally switch to breathing through your nose.

I clench 90% of the time and smoke in a way that is similar to the breathe technique or whatever it’s called. All of the people who I have introduced to pipes are/have been cigarette smokers and appear to have a natural tendency to draw heavily as the pipe seems much bigger than a cigarette so in theory requires more work

just musing
Cigarettes, unless it's unfiltered, has good resistance due to filter. So a cig smoker might unintentionally pull hard when trying the pipe. But they should be able to adjust to that. Trick for me was just clench and let the smoke trickle into my mouth and don't think too much about it. I can't smoke as slowly as others, but don't have an issue with super hot pipe.

Reactions: Ahi Ka

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
Yeah I recommend breathe method to mates as an example to get away from tendency to draw/inhale.
I find that breathing in exclusively through my nose naturally limits the amount of air I inhale, which is helpful especially when I’m smoking blends for the first time that might tend to burn hot.

Jan 27, 2020
I forget the video, but he uses a cat metaphor. In fact he is so stoked about the metaphor he includes it like 3 times. I enjoyed the muttonchop videos

Well, the video I watched he did have a tendency to search for words and repeat them once he found some.

I find it very difficult to talk and smoke my pipe. This is why I've never liked the idea of pipe videos. Either you smoke or talk. It's really hard to do both. Because, if I am just puffing occasionally, I'm not enjoying it at all. It's a waste of tobacco to me. Cigars would be different, you can enjoy them more easily while holding it and carrying on. But, for me, if I am smoking my pipe, I refuse to take it out of my clench, otherwise I'm just making smoke with not much other enjoyment.

Jan 27, 2020
I find it very difficult to talk and smoke my pipe. This is why I've never liked the idea of pipe videos. Either you smoke or talk. It's really hard to do both. Because, if I am just puffing occasionally, I'm not enjoying it at all. It's a waste of tobacco to me. Cigars would be different, you can enjoy them more easily while holding it and carrying on. But, for me, if I am smoking my pipe, I refuse to take it out of my clench, otherwise I'm just making smoke with not much other enjoyment.

You'll never be a youtube star with that sour attitude!

The breathing method is just too much work- I smoke each pipe, without thinking. Kinda like my driving...just start it up and go ?
That is what I would call the breath method. I just clench my pipe and totally forget I have it. All this talk about doing this or that is just bringing attention to the clutch, shift, gas clutch type of operation that becomes like second nature later on.
After you get it, you just light the pipe and go. Non of this silly stupid giving it a name nonsense.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Thankfully you are a clencher otherwise this forum would only have half the amount of content. God forbid putting your pipe down to post

Status
Not open for further replies.