PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
Can you not fill your mouth with air and breathe without drawing the air from your mouth?
Yes but in that case your mouth is closed which closes off the suctioning action. But with your mouth around the pipe the airway is still open and theres a connection made.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Yes but in that case your mouth is closed which closes off the siphoning action. But with your mouth around the pipe the airway is still open and theres a connection made.
I only use my mouth to create enough of a vacuum to coax smoke from the pipe with the back of my mouth sealed, only releasing the seal on the exhale to release the smoke into the retrohale. You'll inhale more of the smoke rising from the chamber than you will from drawing.

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
I only use my mouth to create enough of a vacuum to coax smoke from the pipe with the back of my mouth sealed, only releasing the seal on the exhale to release the smoke into the retrohale. You'll inhale more of the smoke rising from the chamber than you will from drawing.
Im gonna have to get a clear bong to try this and see if any smoke gets pulled thru the chamber when inhaling thru the nose. If there's any movement it would seem some of it at the top is going into the lungs.
Maybe someone can verify this ?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I guess I put my post on the wrong thread.
Here is what I think about breath smoking. I light my pipe get it going with a nice cherry I take a draw, I blow smoke out my nose and my mouth. I get my cadence going and my pipe practically smokes it self as the dimensions of my pipes are such that I know how they all smoke no matter what tobacco I put in them.

This whole breath smoking to me gives me no flavor and it is not something I would ever recommend.

bayuvarian

Lurker
Jun 21, 2022
Germany, Bavaria, near Munich
I'm sorry I have to bring this thread up again to solve my last unclarity
Refering to Alan's and Duane's videos, do they/you constantly drawing (sipping) in during the 3 breaths (in-out-in), or what are you doing at the out-breathing? Muttnchop expels the smoke then, the others don't.
Do you stop drawing in and continue with the next breathing in, so it takes 2 or 3 breaths for the "mouthful" of smoke?

Or do slightly expel like MNC but just so that no smoke is visible?

Maybe I missed something in the videos, sorry for that

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
It's more passive. The smoke more or less keep goes into the mouth while you breath through nose. Whenever you want or need to you can retrohale or let it out to other side of mouth. That doesn't mean you can't draw the smoke into your mouth actively. It's more of do what you want to do. After awhile, you really don't think about it. But keep it slow and don't puff.

Reactions: bayuvarian

bayuvarian

Lurker
Jun 21, 2022
It's more passive
thank you, I'm not sure if I'm an anatomical wonder but as long as I close off my throat with my tongue (which is supposed to be as I think of, separating the breathing system (nose to lungs) from the smoking system (mouth/lips)), there happens nothing. I tried several times yesterday when finding my own rhythm of the breathing method. To get even the tiniest bit of smoke, I have to do something actively in/with my mouth which creates the vacuum/underpressure. just flatten the tongue, or pulling it backwards, or whatelse.

bayuvarian

Lurker
Jun 21, 2022
It's like drawing a drink through a straw.
yes, which I tried to describe as "actively" creating underpressure. "passively" happens nothing (in my case). with passively I mean, I stick the pipe in my mouth, just breath, and there should smoke come into my mouth. that only works if I leave my throat open (venturi effect), but then I get smoke into airtube und lungs, and that's not what it shall be

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
yes, which I tried to describe as "actively" creating underpressure. "passively" happens nothing (in my case). with passively I mean, I stick the pipe in my mouth, just breath, and there should smoke come into my mouth. that only works if I leave my throat open (venturi effect), but then I get smoke into airtube und lungs, and that's not what it shall be
Breath smoking isn't passive, that's something entirely different. Possibly something like "rhythmic smoking". Breath smoking is an interactive practice of controlling the flow of the smoke ebbing back and forth within the pipe.

Masterblaster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2021
Evans, GA
This thread has messed with my mind! I watched Muttonchops video on "the breath method" shortly after I started smoking a pipe and thought it was the greatest thing since Peterson invented the system pipe, but now I'm thinking maybe it's as horrible as burley blends! All kidding aside (except burley blends?), this thread has me wondering if I'm starting a bad "habit" with my cadence. One of the previous posters mentioned blowing hot moist air back through the pipe as a bad thing, and another spoke of easily over heating the pipe, which I thought was a plus (not over heating the pipe) as it helped me to get the ember stoked if it was threatening to go out. So for the past couple days I've been trying to close my throat when I exhale but it seems unnatural now and even when I blow smoke out of the other side of mouth when clenching smoke and air still go out through the pipe... oh well, guess I'll figure it out one day! puffy

Reactions: bullet08

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
This thread has messed with my mind! I watched Muttonchops video on "the breath method" shortly after I started smoking a pipe and thought it was the greatest thing since Peterson invented the system pipe, but now I'm thinking maybe it's as horrible as burley blends! All kidding aside (except burley blends?), this thread has me wondering if I'm starting a bad "habit" with my cadence. One of the previous posters mentioned blowing hot moist air back through the pipe as a bad thing, and another spoke of easily over heating the pipe, which I thought was a plus (not over heating the pipe) as it helped me to get the ember stoked if it was threatening to go out. So for the past couple days I've been trying to close my throat when I exhale but it seems unnatural now and even when I blow smoke out of the other side of mouth when clenching smoke and air still go out through the pipe... oh well, guess I'll figure it out one day! puffy
Whole thing is, doing what works for you. Almost everyone smokes pipe differently. You listen to this and that, try this and that and find what works best for you.

Reactions: Michigan_Bill
Status
Not open for further replies.