36 Fresh Vauen Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
For our Sunday pool time I smoke an eye of round.

After an overnight dry-brine:

View attachment 327001

50/50 dijon/spicy brown mustard binder with Bad Byron's Butt Rub applied and ready for the smoker:

View attachment 327002

The results were seriously juicy, tender, and flavorful:

View attachment 327004

View attachment 327005

Couldn't stop this one from free-range grazing:

View attachment 327006
Fantastic. Made me want a steak or roast beef sandwich (instead of the roasted vegetable flatbread I had for dinner).

Reactions: Smoke Wagon

SmokeBreak

Lurker
Dec 4, 2023
Korean BBQ.jpg

I'm actually eating some Korean BBQ right now and thinking about that trip I took to South Korea years ago. My guide from South Korea Private Tours & Local Tour Guides - https://gowithguide.com/korea brought my friends and me to a great restaurant where we got to cook everything ourselves at the table—it was such a fun experience! I'll never forget the first time I tried kimchi, too. This meal is really taking me back to that trip. Nothing beats roasting meat and veggies with friends while enjoying all the banchan.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I'm starting to get fairly consistent with eye of round so next time I might try injecting it to see if it makes any improvement but for now my family and friends really enjoy it so I don't want to change it too much. Hopefully I can get it just a little more tender without losing moisture.

View attachment 329526

View attachment 329528
Great looking beef. I could nosh on that all day.

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
Welp, aside from smoking pipes here in Texas, we smoke a lot of meat. My bbq partner and I have won a handful of bbq cookoffs and as always, the secret is time.

Texas style is season with salt/pepper (and some occasional lawrys season salt).
Smoke at 225-250 1 hour per pound.
Wrap at 165 with unwaxed butcher paper.
Rest at 165 for 4-12 hours.

Keep your fat trimings and throw them on the smoker as well. They will render out and you should poor over your brisket when you wrap it, after you rest it.

IMG_8806.jpg

Note the small cast iron pot there, I throw some trimmed brisket fat in there to rendor while the brisket cooks.

IMG_8808.jpg
Then strain the fat into a jar to pour on the brisket later.

IMG_8810.jpg
Wrapped at 165.

IMG_8766.jpg

IMG_8767.jpg

IMG_8768.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Welp, aside from smoking pipes here in Texas, we smoke a lot of meat. My bbq partner and I have won a handful of bbq cookoffs and as always, the secret is time.

Texas style is season with salt/pepper (and some occasional lawrys season salt).
Smoke at 225-250 1 hour per pound.
Wrap at 165 with unwaxed butcher paper.
Rest at 165 for 4-12 hours.

Keep your fat trimings and throw them on the smoker as well. They will render out and you should poor over your brisket when you wrap it, after you rest it.

View attachment 329551

Note the small cast iron pot there, I throw some trimmed brisket fat in there to rendor while the brisket cooks.

View attachment 329550
Then strain the fat into a jar to pour on the brisket later.

View attachment 329549
Wrapped at 165.

View attachment 329545

View attachment 329546

View attachment 329547
Thank you for the amazing explanation and tips.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Some chicken thighs on the Weber View attachment 329570
Growing up, I didn't care for chicken. Mom would always by breasts, which I would drown in sauce. Once on my own, I picked up some thighs since they were cheaper. Mind blown.

I think the chain restaurant that capitalizes on making chicken sandwiches with thighs (fried, grilled, smoked, roasted) will make a killing (especially if they crisp the skin right or use skinless).

Enjoy. Those look tasty.