48 Fresh Savinelli Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
You don't have to smoke expensive and fancy stuff. Just enjoy what you have.
Agreed. My lady had a restricted diet awhile back (unseasoned meat and vegetables with no oils or fats). So, I smoked a plain chicken breast for her with a side of snap peas.

Figured it was a good way to incorporate flavor without seasoning or added fats. Simple and tasty. Decent color too, in my biased opinion.

20230725_202133.jpg

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Looks truly delightful but doesn't all that sauce mask the actual flavour of the meat?
Indeed it does. Lotta folks only eat the "que" because of the sauce. Sad, very sad. On the other hand, certain regions have sauces which define their "que". Same with a particular wood, rubs,cut of meat, type of meat. It's a wide and varied field. I usually prefer beef not to be sauced. Personal preference only.

A vinegar based sauce actually compliments the sweetness of pork making "Carolina" style, many styles actually; regionally, distinctive.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
A vinegar based sauce actually compliments the sweetness of pork making "Carolina" style, many styles actually; regionally, distinctive.
Agreed wholeheartedly.

The vinegar sauce for Carolina BBQ (which is just vinegar, pepper, and a pinchnof sugar) is acidic. The acidity cuts through the fattiness of pulled pork to really bring out the flavor.

Now, it's my preferred sauce for pulled pork (followed by a mustard BBQ sauce) for pulled pork.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I simply can't imagine saucing a piece of authentically cooked Texas bar-b-cued beef. Used to be in a Texas joint you'd have to request sauce and it would be handed to you to apply, usually with a sneer or, at least frown. And salad? That big, ol' pickle was the salad. rotf

I'm just old school when it comes to smoked and grilled meats. If a place offers que and I can't see a pile of wood and/or smell fragrant smoke ... I'll pass.

Jbrewer2002

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2023
Somerset Ohio
I built this smoker around 2008 and is my go to smoker. It weighs about 600lbs. I have a Treger but find myself always using my offset. I primarily use Hickory splits. I do about any meats. Brisket, pulled pork, ribs, pork belly, wings and more. I also cook a lot over an open campfire. Best steaks and burgers ever that way 20190902_155840_Original.jpeg2015-10-08 11.56.44_Original.jpeg2015-10-08 20.26.17_Original.jpegIMG_0910_Original.jpeg

Last edited: