PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Only two vegetables, potato and corn, still in the shuck, are allowed in my smoker. Beef and pork only meats. I use only various wood chunks, no pellets, no electricity. I'm strictly old school. Pulled pork, NC style, is my most favored serving.

Once again, the finest baked potato recipe I've found. Crispy skin, soft interior and salt exploding with every bite!

Baking potatoes, poked a couple of times with a fork, rolled in hot bacon grease, then in coarse sea salt. Put in smoker, 220+ or minus degrees until the potato is soft to the gentle squeeze, around thirty minues. The skin will be crispy. Load up with whatever condiments you like and enjoy.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Only two vegetables, potato and corn, still in the shuck, are allowed in my smoker. Beef and pork only meats. I use only various wood chunks, no pellets, no electricity. I'm strictly old school. Pulled pork, NC style, is my most favored serving.

Once again, the finest baked potato recipe I've found. Crispy skin, soft interior and salt exploding with every bite!

Baking potatoes, poked a couple of times with a fork, rolled in hot bacon grease, then in coarse sea salt. Put in smoker, 220+ or minus degrees until the potato is soft to the gentle squeeze, around thirty minues. The skin will be crispy. Load up with whatever condiments you like and enjoy.
Thanks for the tip on potatoes. I'll have to give them a try on the smoker.

dottlejockey

Part of the Furniture Now
Some beautiful examples of carnivore bliss here. 😎

I love my pellet smoker and use it often all year round. Smoked a venison sirloin tip roast yesterday and had a bit of that with breakfast this morning. It was from a young deer locally "harvested" about a year ago. Tender as could be. If i would have noticed this thread earlier i would have grabbed a pic!

Reactions: The Amish Tyrant

B.Lew

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 24, 2020
SE Michigan
I haven't really seen a grilling/smoking thread, but have a feeling we have a few pit masters in the audience.

While being a solid cook, I'm just an amateur/hobbiest when it comes to smoking meat. I figured we could get some experts to chime in and share some tips along the way. And what good is a food thread without pictures?

Here is a smoked chicken breast with a cucumber dill salad. I smoked a tray of breasts for various meal prep this week. I have found one hour at 225 is the sweet spot in keeping the breasts moist without a brine.View attachment 312929View attachment 312930
Are those Denby brand plates your eating upon?

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
That sounds like a neat idea.

Smoking the roast and trimmings? Or just the roast and stock?
Smoking the roast.

Last time I did a simple smoke. This time I'm approaching it somewhat like brisket.

I'm slowly bringing it up to 170-180 and if it stalls. Whether it does or doesn't I'm going to wrap and rest it before finishing it. To finish I'll leave it in the wrap bring it up to 190-200.

The idea is to get it as tender as possible and nice and smokey before it gets sliced super thin on my deli slicer for sandwiches.

It's really just playing around experimenting until I get sandwich meat I don't think I can improve on. The best part is all results are tasty.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Steak in France does not come close to the flavor of US beef so Im cold smoking a piece of sirloin before grilling it for a quick lunch. At the same time I decided to try cold smoking some sunflower seeds and Ive a piece of cheese I will throw on soon. May as well experiment and use the smoke for several things. After that I will make some tea and make my own smoke.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Found some boneless chicken thighs in my freezer I forgot about. They looked like they were still in great shape so they're in the smoker right now. Hit them with some cheap chicken and poultry seasoning I found in my cupboard. I'll finish them with a BBQ sauce after smoking.

Then I'm hitting the pool with my daughter, a beer, and a Meer loaded with Marlin Flake.

You don't have to smoke expensive and fancy stuff. Just enjoy what you have.